"Stops" aid A-arm Bushing Function

Old 11-09-2015, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Stops" aid A-arm Bushing Function

Suspension of Disbelief, Part 1.c.

1. This is to briefly outline the "Stops" (or thrust-washers) Mod in terms of background, application, enabled results, sourcing and installation description.

2. This mod is to augment original new Boge (or Sachs) bushings found in front (and some rear) control arms.

3. Background.
This mod revision resulted from in part a suspicion that there is perhaps not a lot wrong with the original equipment; and that largely near stock could be more than adequate. This post resulted from a surprising lack of uptake of a simple upgrade, part of very satisfying near stock B3 & B4 suspension set-ups that I've run for quite some time.

Further Reading:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud.../#post18610480

4. Application.
More specifically, this mod (really an add-on, not a modification but for brevity, a mod) is for bushings most usually found in front A-arms as follows:
a.) Strictly Boge/Sachs;
b.) Separate "stops" available for the larger 44.4mm (1.75 in.) dia. (P/N 893 407 181); and the smaller 37.3mm (1.46 in.) dia. (P/N 8AO 407 181) types; &
c.) Not have been driven on.

The "stops" are sized to fit either the large or small bushings listed above.

5. Sourcing.
Genuine Boge/Sachs bushings are required, they can be obtained through the dealer and are recommended due to their quality and that the "stops" are sized to fit them.

6. Enabled Results.
Implementation of the mod herein, done with due care will result in improvements as follows:
a.) increase the service life of the bushings;
b.) ensure more accurate and durable suspension alignment settings;
c.) promote increased tire tread life; &.
d.) provide improved steering feel to the driver.

7. Installation Description.
My recommendation would be to obtain a 2nd set of arms to prep., paint and bush in advance before starting on the car, which hastens re-assembly.
a.) Replace both bushings in A-arm as per factory;
b.) Install "Stops" onto the outboard flanges of the bushings;
c.) Re-install A-arm in sub-frame but do not tighten bolts;
d.) Complete factory procedure to place vehicle weight on wheels before torquing bushing through-bolts; &
e.) Perform alignment. Done.

Wanted: Peer Review
Old 12-27-2015, 05:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lago Blue
Suspension of Disbelief, Part 1.c.

1. This is to briefly outline the "Stops" (or thrust-washers) Mod in terms of background, application, enabled results, sourcing and installation description.

2. This mod is to augment original new Boge (or Sachs) bushings found in front (and some rear) control arms.

3. Background.
This mod revision resulted from in part a suspicion that there is perhaps not a lot wrong with the original equipment; and that largely near stock could be more than adequate. This post resulted from a surprising lack of uptake of a simple upgrade, part of very satisfying near stock B3 & B4 suspension set-ups that I've run for quite some time.

Further Reading:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud.../#post18610480

4. Application.
More specifically, this mod (really an add-on, not a modification but for brevity, a mod) is for bushings most usually found in front A-arms as follows:
a.) Strictly Boge/Sachs;
b.) Separate "stops" available for the larger 44.4mm (1.75 in.) dia. (P/N 893 407 181); and the smaller 37.3mm (1.46 in.) dia. (P/N 8AO 407 181) types; &
c.) Not have been driven on.

The "stops" are sized to fit either the large or small bushings listed above.

5. Sourcing.
Genuine Boge/Sachs bushings are required, they can be obtained through the dealer and are recommended due to their quality and that the "stops" are sized to fit them.

6. Enabled Results.
Implementation of the mod herein, done with due care will result in improvements as follows:
a.) increase the service life of the bushings;
b.) ensure more accurate and durable suspension alignment settings;
c.) promote increased tire tread life; &.
d.) provide improved steering feel to the driver.

7. Installation Description.
My recommendation would be to obtain a 2nd set of arms to prep., paint and bush in advance before starting on the car, which hastens re-assembly.
a.) Replace both bushings in A-arm as per factory;
b.) Install "Stops" onto the outboard flanges of the bushings;
c.) Re-install A-arm in sub-frame but do not tighten bolts;
d.) Complete factory procedure to place vehicle weight on wheels before torquing bushing through-bolts; &
e.) Perform alignment. Done.

Wanted: Peer Review
You mention the source for the bushings, where do you source the stop washers? I am about to redo my 1995 90 Quattro's rear suspension and I am interested in doing everything I can to make it right.

TIA

Ed
Old 12-31-2015, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ed

PM sent. Further reading: Please also see the links going back…

LB

Last edited by Lago Blue; 05-14-2016 at 09:54 AM.