Transmission kit- indentification

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 12:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission kit- indentification

CAR: AUDI
1994 Cabriolet V6 2.6E

Did not want to hijack another thread, so hopefully this is the correct thing to do.

Just bought a transmission service kit, heavily discounted to more realistic price, discontinued stock.

Came up as Automatic transmission Service kit for my vehicle, by the parts store.

Well I am planning to do this reasonably soon when I get some Valvoline Max Life DXIII fluid to do it with. I just wanted some advice if the filter and three 'O' rings looks right for my vehicle. I do not want a shock when I pull it apart and drain out the fluid to find a different pan filter.
The gasket looks right after looking at the tranny sump.

The reason to do this as the service history on this vehicle was less than though, and the colour of the fluid is BROWN.

Other than the colour the shifts are fine, a bit lazy even with sports mode on, not crisp and responsive.
Attached Images   
Old 03-07-2015, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

unfortunately i dont know if the trans in 2.6 europe/australia cab is different then what we got here in US. but here is what the US version looks like Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)
not that expansive either
Old 03-07-2015, 04:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Again the American one looks different

Every thing almost for the car being virtually an 80, I can and have ordered off American sites parts and they have done the business, especially for the motor even though its not a 2.8, but the body parts are similar. Not for all parts.

It would seem strange to put on a different auto transmission for these vehicles, although I have seen stranger in make model here in Australia.

The service kit I have bought seems to have a radically different filter on it.
Different from the link you gave me CRAZY RUSSIAN, which confirms different from another American site I was looking at.

Stumped.

The last thing I want to do is pull it apart and not be able to drive the vehicle.

After more research I am lead to believe that my filter kit is for the
4HP18FL automatic transmission which may have been put in a 1992-1994 audi 100.
I will be ringing my local dealer with vin # to find out which tranny model I have..

Just got off the phone to the dealer, still confused. He said my transmission is a "CFY" produced for the cabriolet between first 1994 till 11th 1994.

He tried to be as helpful as possible but said they probably will not have any parts considering the age / exclusiveness of tranny.

Even emailed me a exploded view of my tranny where the bottom gasket is shaped around the pan, the one in my kit is clearly rectangular.

And I could not see any filter either cylindrical or pan filter type!

Last edited by danfil; 03-08-2015 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default found out some more info...

Yes apparently the transmission kit is the simular for the 2.6 as in the 2.8 for my AUDI, The kit pictured is the wrong one and will be returned, the correct one from this supplier is of course more expensive, over AU$50.

Will be getting another soon and some Valvoline maxlife DXIII

Came up as in a catalogue as a VW097 transmission,

Thanks for being there AUDIWORLD
Old 03-11-2015, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Dan..the filters should look like this:

I would be happy to send you one if you don't have any luck down under.

The fluid should be gold/yellow. Pentosin ATF1 is what I use. Available on Amazon.

Last edited by Rusty Spokes; 03-11-2015 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

See if these pictures are helpful too:

https://plus.google.com/photos/11823...105?banner=pwa
Old 03-12-2015, 03:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thanks mate

thankyou
Old 03-24-2015, 05:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default resurrection of thread - reflection of research - fluid change

I am writing back to ask for comments and discussion regarding the servicing of my 1994 Cabriolet Automatic transmission.

After doing some research on this site, and making enquiries else where,I am unsure exactly how to preserve my transmission drive ability, as these seem, not fragile, but possibly temperamental when coming to the pointy end of fluids and intervals of changes.
All that is wrong with the auto is that I know it has been over topped up before I purchased the vehicle. So I know I have to relieve it of some atf fluid.
Some times when after taking foot off accelerator then pause then a gentle but noticeable force pulls the car back there by slows the vehicle, instead of gradually slowing.
And in neutral it creeps slowly forward a little.

Please correct me if my assumptions are wrong,
But the 'Pentosin' fluid was possibly a o.e. fill up from build date for my vehicle back in 1994, 21 years ago. Many current manufacturers of atf fluid have recommendations for my vehicle with mixed reviews on various forums etc. I was told that the red in atf was only a dye and different colours i.e. in 'Pentosin' and say 'Redline' can be mixed safely ( but with unsure results of function of Tranny)

After servicing the motor on my vehicle it seems service history is patchy although the vehicle has not done 120,000 klms / 75000 miles yet, I am worried it has never been done before (transmission service). And so by putting full synth atf fluid in it could cause more problems than not being done at all. As per experiences of people on this forum have found.

The cheaper side of me thinks that do a filter and pan gasket change, save as much fluid as possible and recycle back into the tranny the older fluid mixed with some 'Lucas' no slip to bring to levels acceptable. While keeping every thing clean.

Any ones thoughts before the car is worked on...
Old 03-26-2015, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I would not reuse your ATF. 1994 may be a classic Dexron ATF or the synthetic..If it were my car I would use the Pentosin..it won't really hurt anything. Audi states Dexron in the 1994 owner's manual and ATF part number G052 162 A2 in the Bentley for 1994 (which is the Pentosin ATF1).

If it were me..use the Pentosin and do a few fluid changes. You want that old ATF out of there. Change the filter and clean the pan. What damages these transmissions is a dirty filter and poor ATF performance which kills the electric solenoids.

When you drop the pan it only removes a little over three liters..less than half the capacity of the transmission.

You have to do several fluid changes to get all the old ATF out of the transmission. Thankfully you only need to drain the ATF after you have changed the filter and pan gasket. Make sure you do not overfill the transmission and check the level engine running..in park..transmission warm.

Don't use the Lucas stuff..if you must..use Lubegard which is a proven additive for ZF transmissions. Check Lubegaurd's website for the correct additive for you year model. Looks like you need the "platinum". I use the "platinum" in my 1998 Cabriolet.http://www.lubegard.com/pdfs/2012_LU...FILL_CHART.pdf

Transmission

Last edited by Rusty Spokes; 03-26-2015 at 07:45 AM.