Windows/Sunroof don't work in heat

Old 06-22-2015, 07:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windows/Sunroof don't work in heat

1995 Audi 90 Quattro

Hi all,

For some reason when it's hot I can't open/close my windows/sunroof. When it's cool/cold I can open/close my windows/sunroof.

Anyone have any thoughts on what might be causing this?

I know I need to replace my steering lock assembly and I'm waiting for the part to arrive, but this may be something else since everything works when it's not hot.

Thanks in advance,
craterface
Old 06-22-2015, 08:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

when it's hot half my gauges dont like to work until i hit it lol... my sunroof completely stopped working for a couple months after doing exactly what yours is, i took apart the entire thing(not sure how it is on a b4) where the switch is and moved this little metal rod on the motor and pushed the button and it worked. audi's have a lot of electrical gremlins, so just mess around with the switch, you can try what i did if its possible, as well.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by lsdisk0
when it's hot half my gauges dont like to work until i hit it lol... my sunroof completely stopped working for a couple months after doing exactly what yours is, i took apart the entire thing(not sure how it is on a b4) where the switch is and moved this little metal rod on the motor and pushed the button and it worked. audi's have a lot of electrical gremlins, so just mess around with the switch, you can try what i did if its possible, as well.

Thanks a ton for your response. Though I'm a bit confused about which switch you're referring to. Are you referring to the ignition switch/steering lock assembly or some other switch?

I'm not the best mechanic, far from it, so if you could tell me which and where the switch is, that would be a super skippy help.

Thanks again.
Createrface
Old 06-26-2015, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Windows/Sunroof don't work in heat

Corrosion at wiring connection has increased resistance with temperature, so your symptoms are suggestive of potentially corroded connectors. Remove, clean and reinstall the relays and fuses for those accessories, and see if that improves anything.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

hey Jonas,

Corrosion was the problem and everything appears to be working-ish. I may need to replace the entire steering column. I'll figure that out soon enough. Also, it turns out that these very problems were subject to a recall back in 96 to replace the ignition switch and some other parts that weren't specified in the recall.

If you're curious, here's the link: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...4-90s-2103585/

By the way, and off topic, Ashville is an incredibly beautiful area. I had friends there and used to visit frequently.

Thanks for your advice. It was a great help.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

usually it is bad solder joints on the relay that controls the windows/sunroof.