Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models
Old 08-05-2016, 10:51 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

$170 Reverse/Backup camera kit and install

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 11:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the install guide, decided to take the plunge, I've spent 150 bucks before on something much less useful.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just received this from Beijing just 10 days after ordering! Quality and condition of the parts are as good as stock. Installation wasn't too bad, I managed to work the wiring harness and control module out of the way without needing to remove the 7 bolts on the glove box, probably wouldn't be possible for someone who has large hands though.

I have the NON-NAVIGATION MMI with the smaller 5.8 inch screen and can confirm that switching the #2 switch to ON adjusts the screen size to work correctly. I chose to leave the IPAS guidelines on and turned off the radar sensor display. The only thing I'm unsure about is the English/Chinese language setting because I think it is cutting that part of the screen off, so no text shows at all. Overall very pleased with this camera, it's totally worth it!
Old 11-06-2014, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi Washingtonian! I like that you are a GM guy too!

I assume non-MMI unit is smaller than MMI unit. There is no way my MMI unit can hold both unit and adapter in there.

But glad you like it. I love it every day when I back up.

Last edited by YuiS3; 11-06-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by YuiS3
Hi Washingtonian! I like that you are a GM guy too!

I assume non-MMI unit is smaller than MMI unit. There is no way my MMI unit can hold both unit and adapter in there.

But glad you like it. I love it every day when I back up.
Hi there! Looks like we had similar ideas to find a great supplement for our V8's.

Surprisingly, the two units appear to be the same size (after looking at the images on the first page).

There is that opening in the back right corner of the mmi enclosure.. I pushed the control module back into that space and fed the harness toward that corner while elevating the non-mmi unit. Then I used the non-mmi unit to push the harness back into that space as well. It took a lot of careful persuasion and had to use more force than I would have liked, hopefully that just means it won't rattle around haha.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yep I love GM vortec V8. I am pushing around 400+HP with just bolt on mods. The 4 door GTO runs about 12.8sec 1/4mile. Fun car.

Ok, you pushed to the hole space without taking apart. That is where mines at too. I took globebox apart, so it was easier to pull them from back.

Last edited by YuiS3; 11-11-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Got this ordered and installed! Works amazing...and they also added the software to put the text in English. Great find and a great added edition for under $170!!!!
Old 11-11-2014, 09:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The handle does not fit the a3 cabriolet... I'm currently having my car and camera cut apart by a custom audio shop as they're going to try fitting the camera to my bumper. I'll post pics later. They're also going to be doing a sub install later on.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:49 PM
CLH
AudiWorld Junior Member

I just ordered a kit. Now I'll have a project in a few weeks. Thanks to those who have gone first and paved the way with instructions and pictures!
Old 11-20-2014, 10:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Quick questions: does the display automatically show the rear camera when the car is shifting into Reverse? And does the new trunk handle still allow for the "touchless" unlocking?

Many thanks!
Old 11-21-2014, 01:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, the rearview camera is automatically displayed whenever the car is shifted into Reverse. Then disappears when shifted into Park or Neutral. The new trunk handle operates exactly the same as stock. Opens using the key fob or the slightly smaller release button on the trunk handle next to the camera lens. Functions perfectly.
The following users liked this post:
Blkstallion (10-06-2021)

Quick Reply: $170 Reverse/Backup camera kit and install