Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

2015 S3: Rearview mirror and rear seat headrests

Old 11-24-2014, 06:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 S3: Rearview mirror and rear seat headrests

Rearview mirror seems a bit smallish (narrow), and the rear seat headrests seem to block much of the view. Anybody bothered by this?
Old 11-24-2014, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_oooo_s4
Rearview mirror seems a bit smallish (narrow), and the rear seat headrests seem to block much of the view. Anybody bothered by this?
Its different than my other Audi's. The rearview mirror is small, that bothered me more.

It is what it is. It is a fun car to drive.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It's particularly bad on the convertible with the little window, I either adjust my mirrors so that I either can't see cars approaching from behind in another lane... or can't see cars directly next to me on my rear quarter panel. From the time that a car disappears behind one of the headrests until it will show up again in my side window is about a 3 car lengths, the mirrors can cover 1/2 to maybe 2/3rds at most of that.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I hate the small rear view mirror and I HATE the huge front head rest. I can never really be 100% confident in making lane changes as I can not see very well. Has anyone consider sourcing the rear head rest and putting them in the front? The rear ones are a bit slimmer.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I don't have problems with either. If the front mirror was any bigger, the windshield view would be compromised. My side mirrors are set so I have no blind spot anyway and I don't turn around to change lanes. That might help with the front headrest issue.

Last edited by EGainer; 11-26-2014 at 09:18 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-26-2014, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EGainer
I don't have problems with either. If the front mirror was any bigger, the windshield view would be compromised. My side mirrors are set so I have no blind spot anyway and I don't turn around to change lanes. That might help with the front headrest issue.
Yeah, I had a big DUH moment years ago aiming my mirrors into my blind spot, I haven't gone back since. Really lowers dependence on the rearview mirror, and as a bonus, keeps you from having to look over your shoulder in an emergency lane change.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rear view mirror is small, but I was testing thesse mirrors and technically there is no blind spot on passenger side. I was targeting one car and as soon as it disappeared from the rear view mirror, the car appeared in side view mirror. So in this car, no side blind spot monitoring sensor needed.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

took me some getting used to, since the rear visibility is a bit different, but I still manage to reverse into my garage every day without any problem and not having to turn around fearing I'm about to plow into a wall. Also the auto reverse side mirror curb adjustors are pretty sweet!
Old 12-02-2014, 11:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by arU4ic
Yeah, I had a big DUH moment years ago aiming my mirrors into my blind spot, I haven't gone back since. Really lowers dependence on the rearview mirror, and as a bonus, keeps you from having to look over your shoulder in an emergency lane change.
This was REVOLUTIONARY for me when I found out. I couldn't believe I had been setting my mirrors wrong my entire life. So many people are taught the wrong way!

For those that are curious - this is a great read and arguably the best way to set your mirrors.

How To: Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots - Feature - Car and Driver
Old 12-02-2014, 11:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Had to add - this is why I always laugh when the serious folks get so offended by blind spot detectors.

How many times have I heard "Blind spot detectors are for people that can't drive. All I need for my blind spot is my head and neck."

When the truth is blind spots don't really exist on most modern sedans if you know how to set your mirrors right.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 S3: Rearview mirror and rear seat headrests