Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

A3 - Mild off-roading?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 06:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A3 - Mild off-roading?

Any experience and/or technical basis of some feedback on minor off-roading capabilities of the A3 quattro on gravelly (unpaved, but flat and not rocky) road of 12 miles and then back? Visiting a national park...

Any risk of damaging the suspension and/or risking tire health? Wouldn't mind wearing out the stock Conti tires, since I'm itching for the Michelin Pilot AS 3, but certainly don't want to get stuck or damage the suspension...

Thoughts?
Old 09-23-2014, 09:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, I've had my Allroad on the Rubicon trail at Lake Tahoe (google it) and my A4 on the approach, at close to Rally racing speeds

Never had issues… you'll be fine, I'm sure.

Just remember not to drive close to anyone in-front of you and don't accelerate into turns or your kick gravel into your wheel-wells and maybe ding your paint.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Okay, that's reassuring. Good to have this point of reference (know the rubicon well already - my boss at work goes there twice a year with his jeep)
Old 09-26-2014, 08:01 AM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took a 3 week vacation through the southeast US this month, full writeup is coming, but one of the more adventurous days was spent taking the Parson Branch Road in the Smokies. One-way backcountry road that looks tame to begin with but ended up with 18 stream crossings and several rutted out muddy hill climbs. We even saw a young black bear early on.

I've owned a truck in addition to 6 other cars prior to the A3, and I'm pretty sure only the truck and the Audi would have made it all the way through. I was apprehensive about it once the going got really sketchy, but the A3 handled it like a champ. I was very impressed. I didn't take ani pics of the really hairy stuff because I was too busy trying to punch through it.

http://travelingted.com/wp-content/u.../07/Parson.jpg

TL/DR; A3 is very off-road capable
Old 09-26-2014, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I don't think i would try it with a S3. Lower clearance.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:44 PM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
I don't think i would try it with a S3. Lower clearance.
Indeed. I have one of the A3s with the sport package that arrived prior to the sport suspension coming out, and I was pretty thankful for that. With any of these cars you'll have clearance issues, but grip was never a factor luckily!
Old 09-26-2014, 03:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by aj6
Took a 3 week vacation through the southeast US this month, full writeup is coming, but one of the more adventurous days was spent taking the Parson Branch Road in the Smokies. One-way backcountry road that looks tame to begin with but ended up with 18 stream crossings and several rutted out muddy hill climbs. We even saw a young black bear early on.

I've owned a truck in addition to 6 other cars prior to the A3, and I'm pretty sure only the truck and the Audi would have made it all the way through. I was apprehensive about it once the going got really sketchy, but the A3 handled it like a champ. I was very impressed. I didn't take ani pics of the really hairy stuff because I was too busy trying to punch through it.

http://travelingted.com/wp-content/u.../07/Parson.jpg

TL/DR; A3 is very off-road capable
Thanks, thats great to know. Will look forward to the full write-up and I'm looking forward to my off-roading at Lassen Volcanic Park now. And I too would happily trade the lower clearance for the off-roading capability of the A3.