Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

A3 vs S3, worth the extra $?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A3 vs S3, worth the extra $?

Looking at an A3 Prestige with the sport package (19" wheels plus) which stickers at $42,950. The S3 Prestige with comparable options (19" wheel package) stickers at $48,500.

Let's see. For the extra $5,550 I'm getting:

Bigger HP motor (220hp vs 292hp)
Quad exhaust tips
Magnetic ride
Flat bottom steering wheel
Bigger brake rotors

Am I missing anything? Is the above worth $5550 extra?

Thx
Old 11-17-2014, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff968
Looking at an A3 Prestige with the sport package (19" wheels plus) which stickers at $42,950. The S3 Prestige with comparable options (19" wheel package) stickers at $48,500.

Let's see. For the extra $5,550 I'm getting:

Bigger HP motor (220hp vs 292hp)
Quad exhaust tips
Magnetic ride
Flat bottom steering wheel
Bigger brake rotors

Am I missing anything? Is the above worth $5550 extra?

Thx
If you like that additional stuff, yes it is worth it.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Have you driven the two? The S3 is really special.... I typically find that Audi's S cars are really completely different cars... they are a badging and flair, yes, but the cars have much different driving characteristics... you may prefer one over another, but as for me, I will never again own a non-S Audi. Personally I think they feel like rental car versions of the real thing.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The above is well said... That engine is worth every extra penny... And it's just more horsepower, it's has a lot of engine upgrades.

However, if you care at all about gas mileage that might make the difference my S3 gets fairly bad gas mileage compared to regular A3.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

The rotors are not only bigger, but in the S3 the rears are ventilated whereas the A3's rears are solid. Also, the cooling system capacity in the S3 is greater. There are possibly other mechanical differences such as spring rates and shocks that do not show in the AoA specs.
Beyond these features, I think availability of the two tone seats and (I believe) standard black headliner (not available in the A3 I was told) are worthwhile parts of the S3 package.
The additional cost for the S3 does not seem to me to be out of line with the cost premium associated with upgrades to performance versions in Audi's other models.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Drive them in a side by side comparison and then decide.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by arU4ic
The above is well said... That engine is worth every extra penny... And it's just more horsepower, it's has a lot of engine upgrades.

However, if you care at all about gas mileage that might make the difference my S3 gets fairly bad gas mileage compared to regular A3.
I am wondering about S3 gas mileage. I have not heard reports that Audi exaggerates EPA gas mileage figures, so I suspect it has to do with how the cars are driven and wheel size.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default God yes!!

I never drove an A3 before I got my S3 but I ended up with one as loaner for few days and, no offense meant to anyone who likes theirs, but I though it was dog. Completely different car. I didn't even want to drive it.....no performance, when compared to the S anyway, mushy ride. Steering felt light. Even the leather on the seats was subpar compared to my Daytona anyway.

I would never, ever even have considered one. Ever.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered an S3 without having driven one. None available. I understand I got the first one delivered to the state of Ohio actually. But I got to test drive a nicely equipped A3 prior to getting my S3 to get a sense of feel and overall size. The A3 is a nice car. Not underpowered and it was comfortable. Handsome car. But after the S3 was delivered, no way would I get an A3 knowing an S3 was available. The S3 is definitely worth the extra cash. Please try to get a test drive of both vehicles before you decide.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

The reason they make both is because opinions and likes differ.

I was looking at a 2015 A3 for awhile, test drove several and really like the car.

I did not really want to spend as much money as the S3 cost (because I get every car loaded) but really love the look of the S3 with the optional 19".

I decided I needed to drive one before deciding on the A3 so I found one at a dealer, even the color I like and took it for a test drive. I was surprised to see how low the car sits in person. A little to low for my taste. I know lots of people go out of their way to lower cars, again just a personal opinion thing.

For me, the S3 was a little loud for an everyday commuter (sounds nice though).

I have a Ford Fusion with 19" wheels and all though it drives really nice, I would like a smoother ride. I decided I did not need the power the S3 offers and it was not for me. Although I think the flat bottom steering wheel looks really cool, I did not like using it. I'm sure I would get use to it after time.

IMHO, the S3 is an amazing car and looks fantastic, especially with those 19"s but I decided to order an A3 Prestige which comes with the S Line trim. I opted for the 18" all season wheels. I'm not a big fan of the 19" option for the A3. They look OK on some colors but just don't do it for me and the 18"s come with all season tires (I'm in Michigan).

I would really like to order the S3 19" wheels come summer time.

Like mentioned already, the improved gas milage for at the A3 over the S3 is a bonus too. This will be the first car in a long time I will need to pony up for Premium Fuel!

Last edited by drober30; 11-18-2014 at 04:37 AM.

Quick Reply: A3 vs S3, worth the extra $?