Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Bare Bones S3, Best $41K You Will Ever Spend

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 06:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hamz01, very nice, think I saw your post on Audizine last night. I went back and forth over the mag ride and 19's and kinda wish I'd gone that route although no real complaints with the 18's. I think yours is the first Midnight Black I've seen with the 19's, looks good.
I noticed you have the license plate on the back put not on the front, any intent to remove the license plate bracket?
Minor mod's coming for my car are tint (Houston summers), rear view camera and 19" aftermarket wheels (VMR or TSW) and then I will sell the OEM 18's.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SJWPortland
hamz01, very nice, think I saw your post on Audizine last night. I went back and forth over the mag ride and 19's and kinda wish I'd gone that route although no real complaints with the 18's. I think yours is the first Midnight Black I've seen with the 19's, looks good.
I noticed you have the license plate on the back put not on the front, any intent to remove the license plate bracket?
Minor mod's coming for my car are tint (Houston summers), rear view camera and 19" aftermarket wheels (VMR or TSW) and then I will sell the OEM 18's.
Yeah I've been posting everywhere, haha.

I now have my license plate on in front. I ditched the dealer frame though, don't worry, and now I have a black one in the rear. I slightly obsess over details like this.

Tint coming for mine soon, too, and I just ordered the $160 DIY rear view camera. Then I'll be looking for a holder/mount for my phone that integrates into the dash. My normal sources don't have one for the A/S3 yet, unfortunately, and I fear they'll never make one.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Actually, for anyone interested, there is a dash mount out there that may be good:

Audi A3 2015-2015 ProClip Angled Mount*-*ProClip USA

Old 11-26-2014, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hamz01
Actually, for anyone interested, there is a dash mount out there that may be good:

Audi A3 2015-2015 ProClip Angled Mount*-*ProClip USA

Did that Audi ash tray/coin holder cup come with the car or did you order it?
Old 11-26-2014, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Nice

I really struggled with the idea of going bare bones. It was tempting but with my terrible sense of direction and being in a new city I had to have the NAV...and the mag ride..which I love though it is always on dynamic.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by drober30
Did that Audi ash tray/coin holder cup come with the car or did you order it?
That is just a stock photo, not my car.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on your new car and for sticking to a budget. I started to do that but just found myself wanting this and that and the numbers added up. Does not even compare to the a la carte menu for a Porsche however. LOL. I have black as well. It is tough to keep clean but when it's clean, nothing looks better. Enjoy your new ride!
Old 11-29-2014, 02:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

I took delivery of my new S3 P+ with 18" AS tires yesterday. What an awesome, well engineered machine. It was the first one that the dealer had sold. I live 100 miles from the dealership and had a nice drive home.

The engine sound in dynamic mode is intoxicating and the car is a beast. I will be taking it easy for the first 1,000 miles. In comfort mode it is pretty much like an A3. I saw 30.5 mpg on the trip computer.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default How do you like the AZs tires?

Originally Posted by sailor99
I took delivery of my new S3 P+ with 18" AS tires yesterday. What an awesome, well engineered machine. It was the first one that the dealer had sold. I live 100 miles from the dealership and had a nice drive home.

The engine sound in dynamic mode is intoxicating and the car is a beast. I will be taking it easy for the first 1,000 miles. In comfort mode it is pretty much like an A3. I saw 30.5 mpg on the trip computer.
Congrats on new ride!
I am getting mine on a week. I wonder how do you like the 18' AS? I get them too.
By the way great mpg!!
It will improve with engine and tires broken in.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AgisA
Congrats on new ride!
I am getting mine on a week. I wonder how do you like the 18' AS? I get them too.
By the way great mpg!!
It will improve with engine and tires broken in.
Best wishes to you as well. I keep myself under control with short bursts in dynamic mode!

I like the 18" AS tires (Continental ProContact). With the new S3 the tread pattern is more agressive than I had seen before. It is a somewhat stiff ride coming from a 2011 Audi A4 (also 18" AS tires), but you would expect that with a sport suspension. It seems to take curves effortlessly....and that engine sound in dynamic is intoxicating.

I must admit that I am a little concerned about the gas mileage, but that is not why I bought the S3 in the first place. My wife drives an A3 TDI and that one is for gas mileage.

Quick Reply: Bare Bones S3, Best $41K You Will Ever Spend