Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Finance or Lease S3?

Old 09-07-2014, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What about your down payment?

Originally Posted by rayli1107
44204 is my amount after downpayment, regardless of finance or lease.

The way I see it, if I lease for 3 years and then buy the car I would pay
(630 * 36) + 28838 = 51518 total

If I finance for 5 years I'd have to pay
830 * 60 = 49800

Which is only a $1718 difference, not that much.

Is that how I should calculate it?
Again, I am not a math whiz what whether or not you are getting a good deal depends on what your down payment was. Extreme example but if it was 100k down payment they could just give you a $1 payment and a 1$ buyout and you still got ripped off.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by meestursparkle
Like I said I am not a financial or math whizz but are you saying that in 5 years my new S3 would be worth 70% less....15K?!

That sounds a little extreme to me....to say the least. Maybe those are the numbers the lease dept would want you to believe but........

Below is a link to 2010 Audis for sale in my area. Cheapest seems to be the A4 which sold new for around 31k.....they are for sale starting at about 15k to 20k (by sane people, there are some crazies asking almost new price).

2010 A3 sell for even more than the A4. And the 2010 S4 seem to hold there value at far better than 70% depreciation.....

I might be wrong but 45-50% seems about right to me. Especially seeing as it is brand new generation here in the US.

Used 2010 Audi cars for Sale in Washington, DC 20015 - AutoTrader.com
I understand about what people are asking for an a4 or a s4... they will never get what they are asking.... i had a 2011 s4 that i sold last year and guess what... it was not even worth it 50%.... i wish it was like you are saying but is not.
I am a long fan of audi, since i was 18th years old... i am at my 17th audi right now... in my household we have a 2014 a7, 1 2013 a6, a 2014 a6 and a 2013 a4..... i have learned a little bit about the value of these cars after 2 or 3 years..... the only car i was able to make over $2000 at the end of the lease for what i bought at the residual value was a 2002 a6, 2.7 biturbo.....
Old 09-07-2014, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't buy this car, first model year and it pretty highly boosted and lots of tech... Lease and buy the next one... My 2 cents.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I understand where you are coming from

Originally Posted by garlandpr
I understand about what people are asking for an a4 or a s4... they will never get what they are asking.... i had a 2011 s4 that i sold last year and guess what... it was not even worth it 50%.... i wish it was like you are saying but is not.
I am a long fan of audi, since i was 18th years old... i am at my 17th audi right now... in my household we have a 2014 a7, 1 2013 a6, a 2014 a6 and a 2013 a4..... i have learned a little bit about the value of these cars after 2 or 3 years..... the only car i was able to make over $2000 at the end of the lease for what i bought at the residual value was a 2002 a6, 2.7 biturbo.....
but I still think 30% is extreme with Audi reliability on the the way up.

and to the previous poster: Is this really a first year model? Haven't they been making pretty much the the same thing for years for other markets?
Old 09-11-2014, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If leasing you are renting. I buy so I am not stuck with mileage restrictions. Leasing is cheaper so it seems but is it really? I don't think it's cheaper it just gets you into a car you really can't afford to buy.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by seinsmeld13
If leasing you are renting. I buy so I am not stuck with mileage restrictions. Leasing is cheaper so it seems but is it really? I don't think it's cheaper it just gets you into a car you really can't afford to buy.
A car is a depreciating asset. Good business practice is to lease or rent deprecating assets. With that said, you lose more when you lease. I've done both and made out better when I financed.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Spoonie G
A car is a depreciating asset. Good business practice is to lease or rent deprecating assets. With that said, you lose more when you lease. I've done both and made out better when I financed.
This depends on the auto brand too. BMW and infiniti have great lease offers that benefit people who lease. They have really high residuals that reduce your payment and allow you to dump the car back at the dealer for low cost vs selling for a loss.

Audi builds leases to own. You lease, at the end, buy it out and have some equity still in the car.

Different brands have different plans for their programs, but you need to know what you plan on doing with the vehicle at the end.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gamegenie
always finance or buy with cash.

Never lease. Lease is the new gimmick way automakers push cars to consumers and then at the end of the lease of you pouring your money down the drain they stip you with a nice nasty disposition charge and fees.

Don't do it.
If your company (i.e. you own the company) is profitable, and that entity pays for the lease, then it is cheaper than buying the vehicle. That's why leases were invented; tax shields with end-life resale valuation mitigation.

But most people are looking for a payment reduction, that's it. And that is why, I think, one dealer I know is 73% leases, another is 64%. Nobody ever said people could do math, anyway -- or there would be no lotto.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Lease Calculator - Is It Better To Lease Or Buy? | Calculators by CalcXML

The key is to estimate the value of the car at the end of the term.

You can guesstimate that buy researching the same car, used, vs. the sticker of that used car new. Apply the percentage lost to the price of the car you're looking at to get the "Market value of vehicle at end of loan" entry on that page.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're not a company but an individual person, then I don't see any need for you to lease, unless you have terrible credit. Leasing will probably be your best bet to get the car.

But Cash or Finance buying is the way to go. So what if it depreciates, EVERYTHING depreciates if you plan on selling your items back.
But if you want a long term car, then worrying about its depreciation is a non-factor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finance or Lease S3?