Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

I put up a post that I decided on an S3 on a BMW board and got attacked.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I put up a post that I decided on an S3 on a BMW board and got attacked.

I used to own a BMW so I still have accounts on those forums.

When I put up the reasons I got replies like:

"Why are you mentioning that here?"

"The Audi S3 has a cheap Plastiky interior"

" The pop-up nav screen breaks off"

"The BMW is faster and handles better"

When I mentioned the C&D numbers they doubted it. When I put up a pic confirming it the thread was deleted. At least I got to say one thing before the thread was deleted and this was after they were attacking me. I said another reason why I decided against the BMW, was because of Snobby owners that I didn't want to be associated. BMW owners are jerks.

Last edited by Spoonie G; 08-07-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

There's more

"You made a mistake"
"You are going to regret it"

wow!
Old 08-07-2014, 08:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received a similar reaction when I posted on my E46 BMW board about my 2015 A6 purchase.

In contrast, when I posted about my BMW here, I received only car lover comradery.

I think it may be a maturity thing - the E46 models are old now and the 17-25 year olds are buying them.
Don't let it bother you. When they grow up they will realize that they could appreciate quality cars other than what they own.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow… super weak.

Maybe they are just younger owners or something?
Old 08-09-2014, 05:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

As a current BMW owner and much too frequent poster on that brand's forums, I'm a bit surprised by the reaction you got personally. Most of the time when someone mentions their interest in Audi on a BMW forum the thread is usually pretty civilized. I find most BMW posters appreciate the many advantages of Audi ownership but can also have strong arguments for why they chose BMW instead. Right now with my BMW lease set to expire in a few months, I'm leaving all options open. As long as it's German it's under consideration. I don't want to end up driving a boring old Toyota again for three years.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for speaking up… yes, obviously we can't generalize, there are douche Audi posters too.

I greatly appreciate BWMs and when Audi went to all 4 bangers (mostly), I got a little mad and started to serious consider bimmers, but then with only auto trannies on S3, I got really mad at AOA for depriving us, not mention the insult to american drivers (but then I tried the S-tronic tranny, and WOW… I'm in for an S3 now).

I digress… maturity expands black and white into areas of grey I guess is what I mean.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think it really depends on the board maturity level. You definitely can't put all "BMW" boards in the same bucket. For example, I've been a member of the M5board for 12+ years, E39 section, and the maturity and experience level there is very high with many owners having a wide range of cars with a great appreciation for many brands. It's a mistake to characterize "BMW board" as representative of more than just whatever specific one you are referring to.

The new S3 is going to be a great car imo. Audi is way ahead of BMW in realizing there is huge market out there for a "reasonable-sized" sedan now that the F30/F80 are such large cars. Look at the monthly volumes Audi is doing with the A3 and without impacting A4 year-over-year volumes. BMW is caught empty-handed in the small sedan market right now thinking that "price" is what matters (i.e. the F30 320i variant) as opposed to people simply not wanting an E39 5-series sedan as the smallest option to choose from.

We're ready to replace my wife's E90 330i, but she only wants a manual transmission, and sadly Audi isn't bringing that to the US market in the S3. Her ideal Audi would be an S3 Sportback with a 6MT. The new A3/S3 is about the size of our B5 S4, and is a great offering by Audi. I still want to try to get her to go test drive an S3 just in case...

Last edited by CSBM5; 08-10-2014 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by arU4ic
(but then I tried the S-tronic tranny, and WOW… I'm in for an S3 now).
Yep. Pretty much the best of both worlds
Old 08-25-2014, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Totally agree that BMW is missing out on the reasonable sized sedan. The 1990s 3 series were just the right size for many drivers and now all there is to choose from are from VW/Audi. There were rumors of a 2 Series Grand Coupe but I don't think it is going to happen. The latest gossip is a FWD 1 Series Sedan from BMW which is much more likely. Maybe with Xdrive it may compete with an A3 Quattro. But doubt a proper M car will be made available in US.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You know you did OP would be like posting on a PlayStation forum announcing that you're going to buy the next Xbox.

Quick Reply: I put up a post that I decided on an S3 on a BMW board and got attacked.