Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Motor Trend's first review of the S3

Old 09-30-2014, 03:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not at all mad about the lack of Homelink. It's easy enough to attach the door opener to the inside door panel with Velcro...or leave it in the arm rest. There are plenty of aftermarket options that can be installed and for probably cheaper than what Audi would charge to have it as an option.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Evolvd
attach the door opener to the inside door panel with Velcro
Audi has no excuse for leaving this BASIC option out. Complete FAIL!

Love the A3 / S3 and can't wait to get one but I will install Homelink myself before I use a handheld garage door opener in my $40k+ car.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

1st world problems I guess
Old 09-30-2014, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
It sure seems like all the reviewers are copying off each other. Or is it just me? Oddly the reviewers universally love the car. But the comments below the reviews are much less favorable. Picked up my S3 Saturday and my review couldn't be more glowing. But I did find one thing to gripe about. There does not seem to be a way to program my garage door opener into the car in any way. With the staggering amount of tech on the car, I would have thought a voice command or wimpy button could be set to activate my garage door. But I'd rather be out on the road with it anyway!
I have it but I can't get it to work in our '13 Q5 either. We just use the clip on. Perhaps it's because the door opener is 15 years old....
Old 09-30-2014, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by drober30

Love the A3 / S3 and can't wait to get one but I will install Homelink myself before I use a handheld garage door opener in my $40k+ car.
While you're using home link in your 40k+ car... I'll be opening my garage door remotely through home automation and an app...

I don't think home link is the way of the future for garage doors, and having to use a standard remote shouldn't make you feel bad in your $40k+ car

There are many cars that have tech that our car does not. And there are many cars that don't have the tech that ours does.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by EGainer
While you're using home link in your 40k+ car... I'll be opening my garage door remotely through home automation and an app...

I don't think home link is the way of the future for garage doors, and having to use a standard remote shouldn't make you feel bad in your $40k+ car

There are many cars that have tech that our car does not. And there are many cars that don't have the tech that ours does.
QFT
Old 10-01-2014, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

@eGainer, Well stated.

I think the thing that frustrates people is the knowledge that in-car tech is never truly upgradable, even though the tech itself changes year to year. I really think carmakers (Audi is really bad here) are missing out on a huge post-purchase upgrade marketplace, where they could sell annual upgrade packs for $1 - 2K per year and we'd all be suckers and buy it. Instead, they pass on that easy cash cow under the misconception that it will drive us to purchase new cars sooner, when in reality it just causes us to be frustrated with the brand.

At least BMW provides owners with iDrive software updates. At least that would make us feel a little better about this stupidity....
Old 10-01-2014, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Some folks still haven't come to the grips that nothing is perfect. That doesn't mean that you cant voice your displeasure. But saying that it is unacceptable? That's just being a bit spoiled and selfish. I don't own a Garage so it's a non issue for me.

I have other issues with the car such as the console gear selector up-shifts and downshift selector positions are backwards. It was actually a deal breaker for me. I wish there was a way that I could reverse the positioning. Nothing is perfect.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by orderedanalog
@eGainer, Well stated.

I think the thing that frustrates people is the knowledge that in-car tech is never truly upgradable, even though the tech itself changes year to year. I really think carmakers (Audi is really bad here) are missing out on a huge post-purchase upgrade marketplace, where they could sell annual upgrade packs for $1 - 2K per year and we'd all be suckers and buy it. Instead, they pass on that easy cash cow under the misconception that it will drive us to purchase new cars sooner, when in reality it just causes us to be frustrated with the brand.

At least BMW provides owners with iDrive software updates. At least that would make us feel a little better about this stupidity....
Lets look at the iPhone and IOS versions. As the software evolves it outgrows the hardware of the earlier models. After 2 or 3 years the iPhone can't take any more upgrades. Same is true related to car. The software outgrows the hardware.

Thats why the new modular MMI unit is so exciting. Audi showed how the processing board and cellular boards can be swapped to newer tech. The question is whether they will offer the upgrades to customers, or is it just a cost savings for Audi and their current model MMI's?

Last edited by DennisMitchell; 10-01-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by drober30
I agree. HL is there on my 06 A4 and my 11 Q5? Why not the 15 S3?????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Motor Trend's first review of the S3