Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models
Old 08-09-2016, 11:36 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Tire Repair and Maintenance
Print Wikipost

New member, soon to be S3 owner... Winter wheels & Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member, soon to be S3 owner... Winter wheels & Tires?

Hi, I have been lurking for a while and excited to see posts on members having taken delivery of their S3.
Mine will be delivered in 4 weeks, monsoon grey, black seats, progressive trim... base model.

For those northerners, I was wondering what options you are considering for winter wheels and tires?

I hear there is no possibility to reduce wheel diameter to 17" since the S3 has larger brakes than the A3.

share your ideas,
Thanks!
Old 09-14-2014, 04:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ValBoo
Hi, I have been lurking for a while and excited to see posts on members having taken delivery of their S3.
Mine will be delivered in 4 weeks, monsoon grey, black seats, progressive trim... base model.

For those northerners, I was wondering what options you are considering for winter wheels and tires?

I hear there is no possibility to reduce wheel diameter to 17" since the S3 has larger brakes than the A3.

share your ideas,
Thanks!
Stock 18' wheels with Nokian Hakkapeliitta! And buy aftermarket 19' wheels for summer! That's my plan!
Old 09-14-2014, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by eltook
Stock 18' wheels with Nokian Hakkapeliitta! And buy aftermarket 19' wheels for summer! That's my plan!
Is there any issues with going from 18" to 19" wheels are far as speedometer or anything?
Old 09-14-2014, 04:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That's my plan as well. Still shopping rubber for winter. Thinking 19" hartmann's for summer wheels. Not sure which ones yet.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:10 PM
flk
Audiworld Junior Member

I wouldn't rule out 17" wheels on the S3. Just depends on the offset to clear spokes.
The calipers have to be even larger then Brembo's to not clear the barrels of a 17" wheel.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:29 PM
flk
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by drober30
Is there any issues with going from 18" to 19" wheels are far as speedometer or anything?
No, but keep it within 3% overall rolling diameter difference - your TPMS will compensate after you reset anyway.

I don't recall the S3 ratios off the top of my head but it may be better to run slightly larger diameters for gearing advantage.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was going to start a thread on this subject myself. Glad someone else is wondering the same. My S3 delivery is still a few weeks future but as the temperatures in Ohio are getting cooler already, I'm thinking of winter wheels and tires. I ordered the 19 inch package with the car and am considering 18s with performance winter tires for the winter. Tirerack shows packages for the A3 but was not sure if the same wheels would work for the S3. Only tires are listed for the S3 at this time. My Audi dealer rep believes the offsets will be the same and only concern was rotor/caliper clearance. Hence looking at the 18 inch wheels only. Any more feedback on the subject would be appreciated.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Use this thread to see what kinda offset you can getaway with. The info is at the end.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just joined the Audi world and placed on order on a base S3 with expected delivery mid December. I was looking at upgrading the 18's with aftermarket 19's, any thoughts? I like the Audi 19's that come with the performance package but feel 80% of all S3's will be wearing them hence I'd sooner spend the money on aftermarket wheels and have the base 18's as back up. All websites, as everyone notes, is set up for A3's and not S3's.
S3 is brilliant black. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SJWPortland
I like the Audi 19's that come with the performance package but feel 80% of all S3's will be wearing them hence I'd sooner spend the money on aftermarket wheels and have the base 18's as back up
S3 is brilliant black. Thanks.
NOPE... more people will be driving with the18" wheels. Cost less. Even you yourself didn't get the 19's.

Quick Reply: New member, soon to be S3 owner... Winter wheels & Tires?