Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Park assist on north american a3

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Park assist on north american a3

Just ordered my new A3 Prestige from the factory and decided to throw in the advanced technology package for the assisted technologies such as AAC and active lane assist. But I just noticed that the parking system does not include park assist (assisted parallel parking)

Just wondering if anyone else noticed this omission from the north american A3 options list. Will it be available as an option later? And does anyone know if there is a retrofit available that would just enable this via software since I already have the electronic steering system as a result of the active lane assist feature. Thanks!
Old 07-08-2014, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Don't think you'll be able to add it later, but do you really need it on a car this small?
Old 07-08-2014, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

you're right I dont think I will need it, i'm driving a car with almost the exact same dimensions now, but after seeing videos of it in action on the european models i cant help but feel cheated that its not available (esp considering it's essentially a piece of software code) :/ Plus it would be one less blank button on the dash
Old 08-21-2014, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeGio
Just ordered my new A3 Prestige from the factory and decided to throw in the advanced technology package for the assisted technologies such as AAC and active lane assist. But I just noticed that the parking system does not include park assist (assisted parallel parking)

Just wondering if anyone else noticed this omission from the north american A3 options list. Will it be available as an option later? And does anyone know if there is a retrofit available that would just enable this via software since I already have the electronic steering system as a result of the active lane assist feature. Thanks!
Its not omitted, if you use the build configurator on the AudiUsa site for the A3 Prestige you will see that the parking system is a standard feature on the Prestige where its offered as an option on the Premium Plus.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I believe y'all are talking about 2 different parking packages. The one available on the U.S. A3 is the "Audi parking system with rear view camera". That's bumper-mounted detectors and a camera. The OP is asking about "Audi Parking Assist"--the package that lets the car park itself. This is not available on U.S. A3s. You might be able to DIY add it.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

MikeSS
you are correct - you gotta buy a cheapo Ford or such to get this feature in the US. I do not mind, as I tend not to like these robotic features, being rather old school. But it does seem curious that Audi chose not to make it available in the US.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MikeSS
I believe y'all are talking about 2 different parking packages. The one available on the U.S. A3 is the "Audi parking system with rear view camera". That's bumper-mounted detectors and a camera. The OP is asking about "Audi Parking Assist"--the package that lets the car park itself. This is not available on U.S. A3s. You might be able to DIY add it.
Are you sure?

from what I researched, we're talking about the same feature.

I found a few Youtube videos of someone in an A3 demonstrating it and an audi forum discussion of people talking about the said feature.

Park Assist vs Interior lighting package | Audi-Sport.net
2015 Audi A3 Sedan - Park Assist | Wallpaper #86 iPad | 1024x768

In that audi sport thread I bolded above the same confusion question was posted by someone there and the forum user cemerson provided clarify to the confusion.

I don't get my A3 till sometime in October and I spec'ed it with the Driver Assist package which includes the Parking system, so I am expecting what I see demonstrated to be available.

Sadly none of the American reviews of the A3/S3 ever go beyond demonstrated anything other than the Nav Plus screen which is pathetic.

another video of the A3 parking system.

Last edited by gamegenie; 08-21-2014 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Those videos all show European A3s and audi-sport.net is primarily a forum that discusses European Audis.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

How do you know this feature is omitted on US Audis?
Old 08-22-2014, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The words "Park assist" do not appear as an orderable option for the A3. Also I think if the A3 was self-parking there'd be a lot of conversation in the various forums over the subject.

If you survey the various countries' Audi websites the parking systems come in these flavors:

1. Audi parking system: distance sensors on rear (and possibly front) bumpers
2. Audi parking system with rear-view camera: same as 1 with a rear-view camera. Dashboard display shows predicted path when backing.
3. Audi parking system plus: System 2 with addition of distance measurements and marking of objects that might be struck or not.
4. Audi parking system plus with park assist: System 3 with self-parking capability.

Last edited by MikeSS; 08-22-2014 at 05:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Park assist on north american a3