Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Question for A3/S3 owners before buying

Old 08-15-2014, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jdouglas2000
I love it when people who have never even driven an A3 nor really checked it out thoroughly feel like they can tell where this car is lacking....... not listen to owners of previous larger Audi's in making thier decision.
I cannot disagree with most anything you say here. I stuck my New Yorker's nose into this issue solely because the OP was asking about trunk space and I had just spent considerable time at my dealer checking out the trunk in terms of the A3’s suitability for a possible next car for me and for my daughter's family as well. FWI - The trunk is big enough for me. I currently have a big A6 (yeah, but with the same puny 2.0 that the A3 offers), but I am thinking of going to an A3, a TT, a new Miata or a Subaru WRX when my lease is up on the A6 (lovely car). I am not a proponent of big cars. I got this one while I was working and at times had to lug 3-4 adults around as part of the job.
I read the reviews and am excited about the A3, but still personally feel that for utility (something people with new babies have got to consider) the A4 size (Allroad included) might make sense.
Even the A3’s “state of the art” tech features might well be dated before the tyke hits his 3rd or 4th birthday, so a decision based solely on how current the new car’s technology is may not matter in the timeline of a car’s lifespan. Who knows, the next (B9) A4 might make the tech on the current A3/S3 look dated - just saying. I am 72 and have a different take on technology than a lot of the younger posters here. I can assure you, however, that I have a good grasp on how an emerging family can alter a guy’s plans and perceived needs on things like cars. Anyway I do wish the OP the absolute best in his car decision and family life.
Normally I would not be posting here at all, but as mentioned I am considering an A3/S3 as a future Audi for me. Take care.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by johnz
Why not grab a stroller and anything else you think you are going to need. Take it to the dealer and see if it fits.
I was just scrolling down to say the same thing.

+1
Old 08-16-2014, 11:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eltook
Hi all!

I presently own a 2012 TTS. We have a baby on his way so i'm planning to sell the TTS and go with a real four places car. The 2015 S3 is very interesting but before placing an order, I want to be sure there's enough place for the booster in the back and for all other things I need in the trunk (stroller, playard, etc.)

So my question is : A3/S3 owner with babies, this car is it big enough to bring all things you need or you need a bigger second car/SUV for your trip out of town?

Thanks!
Your best bet is to take the car seat to the dealer and test it out. The rear facing infant seat takes up a lot of room. You may be able to fit it in the rear center position, so it is not up against the back of the front seat. The real challenge will be when you have to switch to a rear-facing convertible car seat--that is much bigger than the infant seat.

And--if you are carting around a stroller and diaper bag, your trunk will not leave a lot of room for much else.

If this is your primary car, it will be cramped--no doubt.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by eltook
Thanks for your comment but I want to stay with a S model, so there's a pretty big step in price between an S3 full equip (47,500 CAD$) vs an S4 full equip (59,700CAD$).

I understand the trunk is 10 cubic feet, I also went at the dealer to take a look at the car. I know it's a small car (but a lot bigger than my TTS). 10 cubic feet of trunk is it enough to bring a stroller and a playard with luggage?

It's my only concern before ordering! I don't want to sell my lovely TTS to buy another "no family" car !
A stoller + playpen + luggage for 3? Good luck...
Old 08-16-2014, 01:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks all for your help!
I have an appointment next week. I'll try to fit both in the car. I hope I'll not have to cancel my S3 order and go with a Q5 :/

I'm sure the length and width is fine.. my big concern is the heigth of the A3/S3 trunk. Someone know the heigth of the trunk or can take the measure to give me a little hope while I wait for my fitting test?:P
Old 08-22-2014, 10:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The height of the trunk from the floor to the trunk lid edge is what is compromised the most in all Quattro A3's. I had a very large and especially tall square box to take to Fedex for return, and I had to put it in the backseat. But that is the only item I have tried to put in the trunk that would not fit.

As far as strollers, or luggage, it seems to be fine. ( I have had to put my 91 year old mother's wheelchair in the trunk, and it fit in with plenty of room for other items)
Old 09-05-2014, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

...FYI the '15 A3 sedan trunk is TINY - my golf bag barely fits in diagonally, not leaving room for much else...
Old 09-06-2014, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I cannot disagree with most anything you say here. I stuck my New Yorker's nose into this issue solely because the OP was asking about trunk space and I had just spent considerable time at my dealer checking out the trunk in terms of the A3’s suitability for a possible next car for me and for my daughter's family as well. FWI - The trunk is big enough for me. I currently have a big A6 (yeah, but with the same puny 2.0 that the A3 offers), but I am thinking of going to an A3, a TT, a new Miata or a Subaru WRX when my lease is up on the A6 (lovely car). I am not a proponent of big cars. I got this one while I was working and at times had to lug 3-4 adults around as part of the job.
I read the reviews and am excited about the A3, but still personally feel that for utility (something people with new babies have got to consider) the A4 size (Allroad included) might make sense.
Even the A3’s “state of the art” tech features might well be dated before the tyke hits his 3rd or 4th birthday, so a decision based solely on how current the new car’s technology is may not matter in the timeline of a car’s lifespan. Who knows, the next (B9) A4 might make the tech on the current A3/S3 look dated - just saying. I am 72 and have a different take on technology than a lot of the younger posters here. I can assure you, however, that I have a good grasp on how an emerging family can alter a guy’s plans and perceived needs on things like cars. Anyway I do wish the OP the absolute best in his car decision and family life.
Normally I would not be posting here at all, but as mentioned I am considering an A3/S3 as a future Audi for me. Take care.
You make some good points about tech and your view is refreshing.

I am trying to decide whether to go base Premium Plus on a S3.... or Prestige.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

The A3 is a small car, interior-wise. I sat in the back seat when I had the chance a few weeks ago in the dealer's showroom. It's really small, I barely fit.

I said to myself, "man, this is like a Corolla..."

Here's the comparo data from Edmund's on interior space. 1st value listed is a 2015 Toyota Corolla, 2nd value (below) is the 2015 Audi A3:

Code:
Front head room                                
                          38.3 in.                                        
                          36.5 in.                                        

Front hip room                                
                          53.0 in.                                        
                          N/A                                        

Front leg room                                
                          42.3 in.                                        
                          41.2 in.                                        

Front shoulder room                                
                          54.8 in.                                        
                          54.8 in.                                        

Rear hip Room                                
                          43.9 in.                                        
                          N/A                                        

Rear head room                                
                          37.1 in.                                        
                          36.1 in.                                        

Rear leg room                                
                          41.4 in.                                        
                          35.1 in.                                        

Rear shoulder room                                
                          54.8 in.                                        
                          53.0 in.                                        

Width                                
                          69.9 in.                                        
                          N/A                                        

Height                                
                          57.3 in.                                        
                          55.7 in.                                        

Length                                
                          182.6 in.                                        
                          175.4 in.                                        

Wheel base                                
                          106.3 in.                                        
                          103.8 in.                                        

Cargo capacity, all seats in place                                
                          13.0 cu.ft.                                        
                          10.0 cu.ft.                                        

EPA interior volume                                
                          110.5 cu.ft.                                        
                          N/A                                        

Curb weight                                
                          2800 lbs.                                        
                          3175 lbs.                                        

Front track                                
                          N/A                                        
                          61.2 in.                                        

Rear track                                
                          N/A                                        
                          60.1 in.                                        

Drag Coefficient                                
                          N/A                                        
                          0.30 Cd