Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Why not a 335 Xdrive? Talk me out of this...

Old 08-26-2014, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Why not a 335 Xdrive? Talk me out of this...

I hate (HATE) that I'm even thinking this, but it's a real, valid question, even for the most faithful of us (I've never owned a BMW).

Lower price, easier to get and incentives are huge right now.

I have my S3 ordered, but I am going to test drive a 335 Xdrive (almost 50k for a 6 cyl even makes more sense to me) on Sunday and see if its worth the wait for my S3 in OCTOBER.

Talk me out of this please...
Old 08-26-2014, 07:52 PM
flk
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well a 335 xDrive with premium package that's similar to S3 P+ is more expensive by $6-7k.
I wouldn't mind a 335 xDrive but I'd HAVE to get the Msport, handling, Nav, premium and cold weather packages which comes out to 60k.
It is also heavier than the S3 by 400 lbs, slower to 60 (4.8 was the best time I've seen vs the S3's 4.4), and likely less fun

However I love BMW's free maintenance program; we have a X5 in the family and they even cover brakes. It'd be a hard decision if you like a bigger car and can get a great discount.

Last edited by flk; 08-26-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I cannot imagine why anyone would try to talk you (or anyone else for that matter) out of a decision that seems to make sense for you/them. I have had 4 Audi’s since 2005, but a car is just a car and if you make the wrong decision this time you can always correct it down the road and return to the Audi fold. I think experiencing various cars is great. I do not regret having gotten my two Porsches, Mercedes and all the other non-luxury brands I have had over the years (Isuzu Trooper, Mazda Protégé, Chevy pickup, etc.). I even enjoyed a tank of a 1968 Cadillac 60 Special. They were all good or fun in their own way – at least until they started breaking down - lol. If the dollars and the deal work for you, go for it. Life is about tasting it all. With all the good experience I have had with my last four Audi’s there is nothing about any of them that would make me feel I am a lifetime Audi guy. Right now I am thinking my 2013 A6 may be replaced by a Subaru CrossTrek and a new generation Miata (both for the same price as one new A6). My two cents.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I cannot imagine why anyone would try to talk you (or anyone else for that matter) out of a decision that seems to make sense for you/them. I have had 4 Audi’s since 2005, but a car is just a car and if you make the wrong decision this time you can always correct it down the road and return to the Audi fold. I think experiencing various cars is great. I do not regret having gotten my two Porsches, Mercedes and all the other non-luxury brands I have had over the years (Isuzu Trooper, Mazda Protégé, Chevy pickup, etc.). I even enjoyed a tank of a 1968 Cadillac 60 Special. They were all good or fun in their own way – at least until they started breaking down - lol. If the dollars and the deal work for you, go for it. Life is about tasting it all. With all the good experience I have had with my last four Audi’s there is nothing about any of them that would make me feel I am a lifetime Audi guy. Right now I am thinking my 2013 A6 may be replaced by a Subaru CrossTrek and a new generation Miata (both for the same price as one new A6). My two cents.
Well stated! However, I'm sorry, for me a car is not just car (I mean zero offense to you), this is the only materialistic item I am really careful about. Also, this might be my last car that's small and sporty, going to 5 series or A6 after this. I've strayed from Audi before and regretted it the whole length of the lease.

Healthy thinking here, really, but I'm a materialistic idiot.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by flk
Well a 335 xDrive with premium package that's similar to S3 P+ is more expensive by $6-7k.
I wouldn't mind a 335 xDrive but I'd HAVE to get the Msport, handling, Nav, premium and cold weather packages which comes out to 60k.
It is also heavier than the S3 by 400 lbs, slower to 60 (4.8 was the best time I've seen vs the S3's 4.4), and likely less fun

However I love BMW's free maintenance program; we have a X5 in the family and they even cover brakes. It'd be a hard decision if you like a bigger car and can get a great discount.
Yup, just config'ed one, $55k for the same options on my S3 and lower gas mileage figures.

Think I could talk them down at least 2-3k.

However, I really like that I can get a manual trans and a 6 banger.

Arrrg.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arU4ic
I hate (HATE) that I'm even thinking this, but it's a real, valid question, even for the most faithful of us (I've never owned a BMW).

Lower price, easier to get and incentives are huge right now.

I have my S3 ordered, but I am going to test drive a 335 Xdrive (almost 50k for a 6 cyl even makes more sense to me) on Sunday and see if its worth the wait for my S3 in OCTOBER.

Talk me out of this please...
Drive them both and buy the one that you like better. Drive what you like.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well stated! However, I'm sorry, for me a car is not just car (I mean zero offense to you), this is the only materialistic item I am really careful about. Also, this might be my last car that's small and sporty, going to 5 series or A6 after this. I've strayed from Audi before and regretted it the whole length of the lease.

Healthy thinking here, really, but I'm a materialistic idiot.
Anyway you can test drive the BMW for 2 to 3 days or even a week? You could mention to the dealer that you need to see how the car feels to make you move from Audi over to BMW. Audi is now the Number 1 brand in Europe (not sure about the US) , beating BMW and Mercedes. These other manufacturers know it and are really trying hard to get customers back with "sweet" deals , so just be aware of that. I must admit, Audi prices are pretty high and they don't (at least int he UK) offer much if any discount.

On the availability / wait time point , I wouldn't include that as a factor to sway you in either direction. You're spending $50k+, make it the right decision for the right reasons and not rush into anything.

Out of curiosity, why did you go for a Q7 non s-line this time, when you previously had an s-line version ?

Last edited by sbarlas; 08-27-2014 at 05:11 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

...I'm sorry, for me a car is not just car (I mean zero offense to you), this is the only materialistic item I am really careful about.
No offense taken. I simply meant that it is "just" a car choice, not marrying the wrong person, having a child or getting a pet that you later find out you're not suited to care for, buying a million dollar+ home you wind up hating or moving across the country for a job that turns out to suck - those things are big! In that sense only is a car just a car. i believe we are on the same page - lol
Old 08-27-2014, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by irenesbob
No offense taken. I simply meant that it is "just" a car choice, not marrying the wrong person, having a child or getting a pet that you later find out you're not suited to care for, buying a million dollar+ home you wind up hating or moving across the country for a job that turns out to suck - those things are big! In that sense only is a car just a car. i believe we are on the same page - lol
hahaha… yes indeed, I get it now.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by sbarlas
Anyway you can test drive the BMW for 2 to 3 days or even a week? You could mention to the dealer that you need to see how the car feels to make you move from Audi over to BMW. Audi is now the Number 1 brand in Europe (not sure about the US) , beating BMW and Mercedes. These other manufacturers know it and are really trying hard to get customers back with "sweet" deals , so just be aware of that. I must admit, Audi prices are pretty high and they don't (at least int he UK) offer much if any discount.

On the availability / wait time point , I wouldn't include that as a factor to sway you in either direction. You're spending $50k+, make it the right decision for the right reasons and not rush into anything.

Out of curiosity, why did you go for a Q7 non s-line this time, when you previously had an s-line version ?
Yeah, I know that in the bay area Audi sales are crushing BMW… hence looking to get a price break, oh and a manual transmission, oh and a 6 cyl engine.

Regarding the S-line, in 2008 it was a minimal upgrade, in 2011 is was a major upgrade. The 2011 was an AOA replacement for my 2008 (fueling problems that stranded my wife and kids a few times: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...begin-2782771/

SO… when I got the 2014, I wanted to save the extra 15k and since it's mostly my wife's car… and well, she didn't appreciate the extras anyway.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why not a 335 Xdrive? Talk me out of this...