Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models
Old 08-05-2016, 10:51 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

$170 Reverse/Backup camera kit and install

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bare end green wire should be for those that have Manual transmission to hook up to their reverse light as the system can't get the signal from the canbus.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joxer
So this will work (although maybe cutting off some text?) on all 2015 A3 models? I have the very entry level 1.8T comfort coming into Toronto in a few weeks which obviously doesn't have this. And a 16 year old about to get their driver's license...
Works just fine, I have installed 2 on the base model a3's now. Ignore the green wire, it is not needed since the manual trans is not coming to this side of the pond yet. I just clip the end and throw some electrical tape around it so it wont ground out on anything. First time I installed it took me about 4 hours, but i am pretty detail oriented and have to have everything nice and neat. I can do them in just under an hour now unless i get hung up on something. Just take your time and it will be fine, there is not much that you can hurt other than scratching up a plastic panel. Don't get your removal keys stuck in the MMI though, one guy brought his car to me after sticking the wrong key in there and it took me forever to get them out without damaging the locking mechanism.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the confirmation Mitch! Do you toggle that switch for the smaller screen, and does the text show either way?
Old 03-23-2015, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by joxer
Thanks for the confirmation Mitch! Do you toggle that switch for the smaller screen, and does the text show either way?
Yes, I think its #2 to the OFF position. There is a picture of the switches and functions on the ebay page, i just don't have it in front of me at the moment. If you have the smaller 5 inch screen (non nav unit, which i have installed several of) you will not see any text at all. This does not cut off any of the cameras field of view i still can see my rear bumper in the screen. If you have the 7inch screen ( comes with standard nav package) you will the text in the bottom of the screen, (i have not done one of these however so i could be wrong). Be sure to have the toggle set for the right size screen otherwise the picture will be distorted, you will clearly notice it once you play with the switches and what the right setting for your screen size is. Like i said not much that can go wrong, just fiddle with it and try things out!
Old 03-24-2015, 12:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mitch Johnson
Yes, I think its #2 to the OFF position. There is a picture of the switches and functions on the ebay page, i just don't have it in front of me at the moment. If you have the smaller 5 inch screen (non nav unit, which i have installed several of) you will not see any text at all. This does not cut off any of the cameras field of view i still can see my rear bumper in the screen. If you have the 7inch screen ( comes with standard nav package) you will the text in the bottom of the screen, (i have not done one of these however so i could be wrong). Be sure to have the toggle set for the right size screen otherwise the picture will be distorted, you will clearly notice it once you play with the switches and what the right setting for your screen size is. Like i said not much that can go wrong, just fiddle with it and try things out!
Here is the info you need:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud.../#post24648300
Old 03-26-2015, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Fantastic, and i just want to know is it works with Audi 2010 A4. thanks
Old 03-28-2015, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Aws1974
Fantastic, and i just want to know is it works with Audi 2010 A4. thanks
This is specific to the A3/S3 8V platform only. There are other solutions out there for the A4.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Backup sensors

Has anyone tried adding the backup sensors yet? Are we sure this unit supports them? Not that i'm comfortable drilling through the bumper, but maybe it isn't that bad.

Thanks for all the info everyone!
Old 04-03-2015, 06:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

How do you remove the plastic piece on the door sill to route the wire? It felt like I might break it, so I stopped trying to pop it off and I couldn't get enough clearance to slip the wire under it.

Thanks to the OP for the great find and instructions, and the other contributors in the thread with useful info.

Shan3
Old 04-07-2015, 09:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Have you guys seen this eBay camera? http://www.ebay.com/itm/NavLine-Audi-New-A3-8V-rear-view-camera-Module-parking-moving-line-plug-play-/181700555929?hash=item2a4e327499&vxp=mtr
It looks virtually identical to the one the OP listed, but it has an English setting. I'm not sure if the text will even display on the smaller screen however. It does cost an additional $25 due to shipping, but it seems as though it would ship sooner and if the text does show, then it wouldn't be a bad deal.

Quick Reply: $170 Reverse/Backup camera kit and install