Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models
Old 08-05-2016, 10:51 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

$170 Reverse/Backup camera kit and install

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 07:50 PM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bryan100030
yea i have all the parts in my audi a6 2007 3.2L .......american......all i need to know is what do i need to take from the 2007 audi to make my 2006 a6 have rear view capabilities. thank you!
This is fantastic that you are making progress with your camera quest. This is the A3/S3 subforum though, and while this information is useful to you, it might confuse those who are coming here for information for their -3s. You should start a new post over in the A6 section with what you found here and your install!
Old 01-28-2016, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ordered and install my camera. Stuffing that unit into the glove box was not the easiest thing, actually a swift pain in the .... But very satisfying when done. Thank you all for the posts, I read every post this morning took notes and the install went as well as could be expected, no surprises, thanks again everyone.

One question, I still am having a really tough time tucking the wire under the trim alongside the passenger seat, can't seem to pry the panel up enough to tuck it under ( hard to get my fingers down there due to the seat rails) Are you folks actually removing the plastic panels along the B pilar or just sliding the wire under?

Thanks in advance

Jonathan
Old 01-28-2016, 09:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by WA-S3
Ordered and install my camera. Stuffing that unit into the glove box was not the easiest thing, actually a swift pain in the .... But very satisfying when done. Thank you all for the posts, I read every post this morning took notes and the install went as well as could be expected, no surprises, thanks again everyone.

One question, I still am having a really tough time tucking the wire under the trim alongside the passenger seat, can't seem to pry the panel up enough to tuck it under ( hard to get my fingers down there due to the seat rails) Are you folks actually removing the plastic panels along the B pilar or just sliding the wire under?

Thanks in advance

Jonathan
I didn't remove any rear panels to hide the wire. I remember a lot of lifting panels slightly and stuffing the wire.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:20 PM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hamz01
I didn't remove any rear panels to hide the wire. I remember a lot of lifting panels slightly and stuffing the wire.
Same here. Lift and tuck. I used a hooked coat hanger to pull it through the B pillar panels.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have a service appointment tomorrow. Is updating ECM/BCM still loosing back up camera?
Old 02-20-2016, 10:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok followed the guide and took about 2.5 hours to install. The biggest pain was to put the MMI back in since I had to figure out how to stuff the camera box in with it.

Camera works fine, but when I'm going reverse the music mutes and then either in park or drive, the music comes back on. Is that normal?
Old 02-20-2016, 12:34 PM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hsuboy
Ok followed the guide and took about 2.5 hours to install. The biggest pain was to put the MMI back in since I had to figure out how to stuff the camera box in with it.

Camera works fine, but when I'm going reverse the music mutes and then either in park or drive, the music comes back on. Is that normal?
Mine doesn't mute, but the volume is cut in half or so. And I agree, packing it all back in is a real pain. I've had to open mine back up several times since the writeup due to an intermittently flickering display (still haven't quite solved it), and each time I get to reacquaint myself with the misery of getting it all to fit.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

FWIW, I pulled down the glove compartment to do the install and put all the backup equipment in on top of the glove box, if that makes sense. Not in the little pocket where the MMI gets inserted. There is ample room up there and nothing had to be shoved/stressed. 16 months in and haven't had an issue.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:53 PM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hamz01
FWIW, I pulled down the glove compartment to do the install and put all the backup equipment in on top of the glove box, if that makes sense. Not in the little pocket where the MMI gets inserted. There is ample room up there and nothing had to be shoved/stressed. 16 months in and haven't had an issue.
Yeah that's where mine is too. There's no room in the MMI slot for anything else at all. It's still a challenge to get it all fit on top if you haven't done it before.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts
Default 2015 A3 Covertible question

Have the problems installing the backup camera in a convertible been solved? Do the supplied instructions cover it? Also need info re the trunk release problem. Have reviewed ALL the info on this discussion looking for an answer.
Appreciate hearing from anyone who has successfully made the install. Details etc. Have NoNav MMI.

Last edited by greasykid; 03-20-2016 at 06:59 PM.

Quick Reply: $170 Reverse/Backup camera kit and install