Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models
Old 08-05-2016, 10:51 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

$170 Reverse/Backup camera kit and install

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks aj6 for your reply. I think start to get it now. So the photo in your instruction with the green/blue/white plugs is the capture of the new harness (supplied with the kit) after the plugs are inserted and in place before the whole thing is plugged back into the head unit?
Old 09-03-2016, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

For those who have done the installation, do you think it's easier to run the cable from the front to back or start from the trunk and fish to the front and the reason(s) why?
TIA
Old 09-03-2016, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Quick thank you to the OP and everyone else on this thread. I finally got around to installing mine today. Took a few hours (mostly because I'm a perfectionist and wanted everything to look flawless) but everything works as expected. I could not have done it without all of the input from everyone on the threat - major kudos to all!

^^ As far as the cable running is concerned, I went front to back. Do yourself a favor and get a set of inexpensive trim tools at Harbor Freight or the like to help you ease up the molding along the doors/footwells. I went front to back, but I'm not sure there is an advantage other than being able to easily tuck away any excess cable in the trunk rather than having to find a place near the dash.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I installed this on the wife's a3 awhile back, its working fine. However, has anyone here experienced losing their radio presents etc? I am afraid to have the dealer check this issue out and then see the camera module and blame that. (It doesn't happen all the time).

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2016, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

No problem w/ my install.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

No problem at all with mine. A year and ahalf ago still working perfect.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I recently installed this kit on my 2015 A3 Premium Plus (B&O and Navigation) after coming a cross this thread. The installation was harder than I anticipated, especially with placing back the glove box after all the cables, new harness and camera video module were crammed in the back. Somehow I was able to screw back the glove compartment box. The backup camera works fine.

The problem I have now is that the light in the glove compartment as well as the charger and Ipod connector inside the center console are not working. In addition, the microphone in the car doesn't work. My guess is that something got disconnected during the installation. Which means that I have to take the glove compartment box back out and check (something that I'm not looking forward to).

I'm wondering if anyone had the same issue as me.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Guys ... apparently I must not have had mine hooked up since only the speakers in the dash were working. (Funny how she didn't notice this for months) instead of messing with it, I have removed it. Is anyone on here interested possibly in making an offer for it?

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2016, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

you probably didn't move the light brown connector from the OEM harness to the one that comes with the camera.

Originally Posted by Tony Ohmer
Guys ... apparently I must not have had mine hooked up since only the speakers in the dash were working. (Funny how she didn't notice this for months) instead of messing with it, I have removed it. Is anyone on here interested possibly in making an offer for it?

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2016, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

after working great for about a year, my backup camera stopped working. When car is put in R nothing happens (the screen continues to show the radio station rather than the camera view). The car's back up lights still works so the gear selector is still telling the car it is in R. I pulled out the glove box and none of the wires seem to be out of the place and all the harnesses are seated firmly. I guess next step is to figure out which wire switches between the radio view and camera view and check it or jumper it to try to force it to switch to camera view to narrow down where the problem is.

Quick Reply: $170 Reverse/Backup camera kit and install