Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models
Old 08-05-2016, 10:51 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

$170 Reverse/Backup camera kit and install

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 08:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested in doing this and didn't want to wreck anything on my new car. I have never run wires in a car before, so this should be interesting.

For the trunk liner, are the plastic bits circled in yellow held by bolts or screws that I need to remove prior to removing them? Is there a screw that holds onto the plastic piece on the latch itself and on the two plastic pieces that are adjacent to the latch?

Also, is the wire exposed running down the extension arm? The instructions say to "run through the extension arm". Once I open the liner, would I be able to feed the wire THROUGH the arm and have it come out inside the panel in the trunk from the same picture?

Thanks for clarifying. I can't seem to find many videos about the trunk liner. I have found a few videos of running the wires from the front to the trunk, just not all the way into the liner of the trunk itself.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hello Everyone,

So I got the camera kit today. Removed the Radio and plugged in the camera and module.
Little notes the GREY Wire is really the PINK Wire and the Brown connector must be transferred like the green and blue connector or else you don't get sound from all the speakers.

Now here is what I'm stuck, WHERE do I put all the wires and adapter lol?
I've removed all 3 screws on top. one inside and on the right side after removing side plastic but nothing would budge...
help me out.. The camera is amazing but I can't fit all the stuff in.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by awan831
I'm interested in doing this and didn't want to wreck anything on my new car. I have never run wires in a car before, so this should be interesting.

For the trunk liner, are the plastic bits circled in yellow held by bolts or screws that I need to remove prior to removing them? Is there a screw that holds onto the plastic piece on the latch itself and on the two plastic pieces that are adjacent to the latch?

Also, is the wire exposed running down the extension arm? The instructions say to "run through the extension arm". Once I open the liner, would I be able to feed the wire THROUGH the arm and have it come out inside the panel in the trunk from the same picture?

Thanks for clarifying. I can't seem to find many videos about the trunk liner. I have found a few videos of running the wires from the front to the trunk, just not all the way into the liner of the trunk itself.
Plastic pieces circled in yellow pop out. They are not held in by screws or bolts. The things on the upper portion to the left and right are actually two pieces each. A circular thing and then a longer piece.

Yes, definitely run the wire through the extension arm in the trunk. I was able to feed it through easily, otherwise you can help it with a wire hanger or similar.

Keep in mind, if you're removing the trunk liner completely (I did), there is a screw that holds in the handle you use to shut the trunk. When you unscrew it, it will be stuck on the other side of the liner, so don't let it drop somewhere and get lost when you take the liner down. Then, when reinstalling, put the screw in on your side of the liner if that makes sense. There are also two bolts that secure the outside handle that opens the trunk and some sort of bracket that was in there, if I recall correctly. Remember to make note of the orientation things are in when you remove them.

Last edited by hamz01; 01-18-2015 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tilhas
Hello Everyone,

So I got the camera kit today. Removed the Radio and plugged in the camera and module.
Little notes the GREY Wire is really the PINK Wire and the Brown connector must be transferred like the green and blue connector or else you don't get sound from all the speakers.

Now here is what I'm stuck, WHERE do I put all the wires and adapter lol?
I've removed all 3 screws on top. one inside and on the right side after removing side plastic but nothing would budge...
help me out.. The camera is amazing but I can't fit all the stuff in.
Grey=pink and brown connector must be transferred with blue and green... But that only applies for non-B&O systems. This was covered somewhere previously in the thread.

I had to put the wires and adapter above the actual glove box. Like, I dropped the entire glove box and put that stuff just above the cubby that holds the MMI. It fits up there just fine and doesn't rattle or anything.

Last edited by hamz01; 01-18-2015 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the quick reply. So just use a tool and pry until it pops off?

I read in post 26 about the push pins for the plastic pieces on the arm. I guess this doesn't apply to the latch and the two pieces around it.

I also have a non-Nav unit. Could you fit everything like a previous poster mentioned without removing the glove box? Based on your previous post it sounds like taking out the glove box is still necessary.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by awan831
Thanks for the quick reply. So just use a tool and pry until it pops off?

I read in post 26 about the push pins for the plastic pieces on the arm. I guess this doesn't apply to the latch and the two pieces around it.

I also have a non-Nav unit. Could you fit everything like a previous poster mentioned without removing the glove box? Based on your previous post it sounds like taking out the glove box is still necessary.
Happy to help!

Yeah you gotta know how to do those push pins, but not all the pieces have push pins. In terms of prying, I always try to use a twisting motion rather than a rocking motion if that makes sense. Makes for less of a surprising jerk when you get the thing to pop out and you have more control.

And yeah for me it was 100% necessary to pull the glove box down and put the converter box and some other stuff on top of the glove box between it and the dash.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by hamz01
Grey=pink and brown connector must be transferred with blue and green... But that only applies for non-B&O systems. This was covered somewhere previously in the thread.

I had to put the wires and adapter above the actual glove box. Like, I dropped the entire glove box and put that stuff just above the cubby that holds the MMI. It fits up there just fine and doesn't rattle or anything.

I removed the 3 screws on the top, one inside and the one on the right (open the door) Removed the right and left glossy plastic triangles but no matter how much I pulled down nothing would budge. How do you remove it?
Old 01-19-2015, 08:51 AM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tilhas
I removed the 3 screws on the top, one inside and the one on the right (open the door) Removed the right and left glossy plastic triangles but no matter how much I pulled down nothing would budge. How do you remove it?
There's also a bolt of the same kind behind the head unit. It must be removed before everything will drop out. I forgot to include it in the original photo but added a note below it in the post.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Found this for those that need diagram of dip switches

http://www.carnavi-tech.com/pdf/SE-A...ule%20A301.pdf

Old 01-31-2015, 07:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Tried to remove the pushpins on the arms of the trunk but no luck. Is it push in the middle and pull on the outer ring at the same time to remove? Or is it pull out the middle first, then pull out the outer ring?

Quick Reply: $170 Reverse/Backup camera kit and install