Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

2015 Audi S3 EPC light-loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by leftos
This happened to me on the highway Saturday night. Noticed the light come on but since I was going a steady 70 I didn't notice any loss of power until I was on the off-ramp. Then the car really started to struggle, so I drove it gently to my place 1 minute away. I kind of regret not pulling to the side on that off-ramp and turning it off right there and then, but it was really late, and I didn't want to be stranded on the side of the road in the middle of the night what with my place being so close.

Turned it off, turned it back on, no EPC light, no issues. I've been driving it ever since with no issue, so my experience has been identical to everyone else's. Audi Marin's first available service appointment when I called them Monday morning was Friday morning (this upcoming Friday), but I did ask to talk to a mechanic after booking the appointment. The mechanic told me that they haven't had an S3 come in with that issue yet, but he didn't dismiss any of my claims when I mentioned the TSB from Audi. He said I should bring it in so that they can look at the codes the car has stored, and that if I was worried about being stranded I could do an emergency drop-off any day before Friday even. Given everyone else's experience, I thanked him and just opted to drive in on Friday, since they also have a loaner reserved for me on that day.

Again, the car has been running absolutely fine before the EPC light came on and ever since that ignition cycle. Bought it early July from Audi Concord with 200 miles on it (which felt a bit high, but it was the color and exact package combo I wanted for a good price), and it's now at 1600 miles, with the first 1000 being a gentle break-in (and a lot of less gentle and more fun driving since). The car has been exhibiting no other issues, and I love it.

Now, I'm taking it in Friday morning, and I'll make sure to mention the TSB again, trying not to be annoying about it. I just don't want to take the car back with them saying "we found nothing wrong so we did nothing" or "we replaced a bunch of parts just in case". So we'll see, I'll keep you guys posted once I have the car back.

Is there a reason to report this to AOA too, or is my local dealership enough?
You should report to AoA to make sure there's a record in case of a need for warranty down the road.

Re your dealer, tell them to not waste your time and just flash your car with TSB 2041261/1 dated July 24. It specifically addresses the EPC loss of power issue, your exact symptoms.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the EPC and loss of power issue. Literally sitting in the dealer as I type this. It was related to two busted sparks and ignition coils. I have a feeling it is the exact same thing. I am frustrated that I've experienced this issue twice within six months and I am considering raising a polite, yet firm fuss with management. I'm one more incident away from a lemon law case.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by scoopman
You should report to AoA to make sure there's a record in case of a need for warranty down the road.

Re your dealer, tell them to not waste your time and just flash your car with TSB 2041261/1 dated July 24. It specifically addresses the EPC loss of power issue, your exact symptoms.
Left the car at Audi Marin around 8.30am, just got a call and my service advisor told me that I was exactly right, and that the software issue was exactly what was wrong. He updated the software, re-tested, drove the car for a bit to make sure everything is alright, now they're washing it and it'll be ready for me to pick up in a bit.

Reported the issue Wednesday night to AoA, Thursday afternoon got a call from them to make sure I had a service appointment, and they said they'd follow up again this afternoon to make sure the service was completed and that the car is running fine.

Thank you for all your help everyone. I was really relieved to see the advisor not dismiss my bringing up the TSB when I got there and to not have any unnecessary "repairs" or replacements done to the car. Looks like I can trust them.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey Guys, just wanted to add some info here. I had the EPC light come on while driving yesterday. Went to the dealer today and they updated the software without me asking. Seems its flagged in their system to perform this update. My car was reporting high pressure in cylinder 2. All updated and the car is running perfect afterwards.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default EPC

The same thing happened to me today! 2015, Audi S3 5,200 miles..just had my first service about a week ago. I was driving for 3 hours in jeave rain amd ince I got off an exit, switched to Manual and pressed the car a bit...once I made a sharp turn the light cane on but I did not feel any power loss or anything. I continued driving for another mile and when I reached my destination I turned the car off. A few minutes later I started the car and the light was not there!