Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

2015 Audi S3 EPC light-loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 08:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Audi S3 EPC light-loss of power

Hi everyone, I have just joined the site. Purchased a brand new 2015 Audi S3 four weeks ago. I live in North Jersey. Black Panther Crystal Prestige, Performance Package, fully loaded. The car has 200 miles. On my recent drive on a highway while driving in D mode for 20 miles I switched to the manual transmission mode. After about 5 minutes of driving EPC light came on the dashboard and the car started losing power. It slowed down and started to shake. The throttle was very rough and the car felt as if it was going to stall. The engine and exhaust were extremely loud. The throttle response was almost non existent. I got off the first exit and parked the car. Left it off for 2+ hours. Upon restarting the car, no lights showed up on the dashboard and I was able to come back home without further issues. On the way back I drove in D mode. Called the dealership and was told to bring it in for inspection. I wonder if any of you had similar problems and what the outcome was.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S3MM
Hi everyone, I have just joined the site. Purchased a brand new 2015 Audi S3 four weeks ago. I live in North Jersey. Black Panther Crystal Prestige, Performance Package, fully loaded. The car has 200 miles. On my recent drive on a highway while driving in D mode for 20 miles I switched to the manual transmission mode. After about 5 minutes of driving EPC light came on the dashboard and the car started losing power. It slowed down and started to shake. The throttle was very rough and the car felt as if it was going to stall. The engine and exhaust were extremely loud. The throttle response was almost non existent. I got off the first exit and parked the car. Left it off for 2+ hours. Upon restarting the car, no lights showed up on the dashboard and I was able to come back home without further issues. On the way back I drove in D mode. Called the dealership and was told to bring it in for inspection. I wonder if any of you had similar problems and what the outcome was.
I'd want a brand new one - that sounds like a world of headache down the road (backfiring, knocking, etc.) Good luck and hope the dealership treats you fairly!
Old 12-10-2014, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Since you were in manual mode, did you happen to let the RPMs get too low in gear and perhaps lug the engine a bit? Not meaning to be disrespectful, just asking. Otherwise I would maybe speculate bad gasoline. I've not seen any other concerns like this on the internet to date concerning S3s.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was driving approx. 50-60 mph in manual mode for about 5 minutes. Downshifted a couple of times to pass other vehicles. Rpm's were between 3-5k...never got too low nor too high.
As far as gasoline goes, it was still the original gas of tank from the dealer. Keep in mind I made 200 miles driving both in D mode, S mode and manual mode prior to the incident without any issues.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That is a tough one then. Seems you did everything perfectly and car is misbehaving. Definitely contact your Audi service department and let me try to pull up data to see what the problem may be. Hope you get things resolved to your satisfaction!
Old 12-10-2014, 02:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I remember a post from another forum describing the exact same situation. I had to check the date to make sure I wasn't reading the same one. I'll try to find it and post it here. Don't remember if the OP update with solution or resolution.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

A Google search revealed that there are many Audi owners with this issue. It appears that they mostly blame one of the following:
-crankshaft position sensor
-MAF sensor failure
-throttle body
-throttle position sensor

Unfortunately, I also found the following:
New 2015 S3 FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-10-2014, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

First of all, you aren't allowed to announce that you have a Panther S3 in your first post without posting pics for those of us who have one yet to arrive.

I'm with Anthony on this one, I remember a similar post as well. Seems like it was some kind of sensor issue.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by S3MM
A Google search revealed that there are many Audi owners with this issue. It appears that they mostly blame one of the following:
-crankshaft position sensor
-MAF sensor failure
-throttle body
-throttle position sensor

Unfortunately, I also found the following:
New 2015 S3 FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes that is the one, I think he also posted in fourtitude.com about the issue as well.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BlackAce
First of all, you aren't allowed to announce that you have a Panther S3 in your first post without posting pics for those of us who have one yet to arrive.

I'm with Anthony on this one, I remember a similar post as well. Seems like it was some kind of sensor issue.
I'm sorry, do we know each other?

Quick Reply: 2015 Audi S3 EPC light-loss of power