Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

2016 A3 Big turbo/downpipe questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 09:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 A3 Big turbo/downpipe questions

Hello,
I currently have a 2016 A3 quattro and installed just a Magnaflow exhaust and Unitronics stage 1 tune but looking for more. I wanted to see if anyone else has installed downpipes and or the bigger turbo on their 2.0L motor and what everyone recommends. Several websites list down pipes from $350-1000!?!? So do I risk getting some no name pipe or swing for the fences with the Unitronics one for $1k? Sure seams like a lot for just a simple down pipe in my opinion.
Please let me know what yall think especially if you have done either the pipe or turbo upgrades.
Sterling
2016 A3 Quattro
USMC (kicking sand on the wrong side of the World)
Old 10-05-2016, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sirkappa: First off, thanks for serving!! Have to ask however, do you have your A3 with you overseas or am I misunderstanding your reference to wrong side of the world? Meaning you'd rather be in A'stan, etc but are in CONUS? I'm USAF retired myself but get to travel frequently working in foreign military sales; other countries flying our shiny fighter jets!

I have the APR Stage I tune on my S3 but have ordered an APR downpipe for my car. I will have the downpipe installed then flashed for Stage 2. Tino33 has posted comments on this forum about having the work completed on his car already. Makes a world of difference. I had APR flash the DSG as well. TCU flash essentially. THAT makes a really big difference. APR downpipe is about $900 and then I will cover the install; which is a bit beyond my skill level as some bracing needs to be moved and resecured. But the ECU tune is included in the price. Not familiar with Unitronics but like APR products thus far. Good luck with your decision.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
I am in Iraq until spring time. I am stationed in 29 Palms, CA though where my car is parked in my garage. I am pretty set on a bigger turbo setup but deciding which one to go with. The Unitronics $4299 is the most complete deal with downpipe, cooler, turbo, stage 3 tune and airbox all included which is very appealing. The other one sounds nice because its a Borg Turbo making 522hp with mainly a turbo, downpipe and stage 3 tune. That one is like $5500 if I remember correctly but doesn't come with an air box or cooler but makes like 100hp more.
I am curious about the $99 and $250 downpipes that are cat-less on ebay all day long. I think I want the cat-less setup for better performance and sound.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stay safe brother!! Sure you can't wait to get back to CONUS and drive your S3 instead of a MRAP or similar. LOL.

Your aspirations for power are far above and beyond mine. I'm genuinely very pleased with my current Stage I tune but am willing to shell out the coin for an APR downpipe and Stage II tune. Bigger turbos and larger intercoolers are not on my radar. Stage I power can get you into trouble pretty quickly already. It has immediate zip and the car hits triple digits in no time. I'm informed by other Stage II adopters that initial pull will be even greater moving from Stage I to II. Can't wait! APR downpipes seem to be on backorder currently however. Between the parts and ECU/TCU tuning when Stage II work is complete, I'll have about $2500 invested and be around 400 HP. And again, my car seems stupid fast already. I don't track my car and for my commute and some fun weekend driving, that is sufficient for me. Afraid going much beyond that might bring maintenance and logistical issues that I don't want to deal with.

Good luck on your decisions. We all definitely want to know what you do. Please, please get all your asses back home safely!!