Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

2016 A3 is burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 02:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 A3 is burning oil

Hi all,
I am a lurker in the forum and first time poster because of the issues with my 2016 A3. I have a couple of issues with my car that I bought last year brand new. Recently when my car turned 12k miles I got an oil warning light. Upon checking the dipstick it was really low. I had to put a good 1.5Qt to get me to the 15k service interval. The car was previously serviced at 5k and there was no light during that period (mile:0-5k). I am guessing in 7k (5k-12k) it burnt 1.5Qt of oil.

Another issue is several days later after I topped off oil I got a coolant warning light and it was well below the marker. I had to top coolant as well. During the 15k miles service dealer checked for leaks in coolant and found no issue. They also checked the pressure and found no issue.

As for the oil they said no issue because when they read the oil level (at 15k) it was normal. I asked for an oil consumption test and service manager said it wasn't something they can authorized and that only Audi can do that. I called Audi of America and opened up a ticket. The lady sounded sympathetic and agreed I shouldn't need to top off oil between service on a new car. A few days later I got a call from another representative and she told me it was okay to use some oil and referred me to the manual. Needless to say I wasn't happy to hear that. I am not some young kid or careless adult that abuses his car.

Just wondering if anyone else on forum is experiencing similar issues and what are my options at this point? I just want Audi to stand behind their products and fix the issues.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

sorry to hear you are burning oil. i have been measuring my oil since i got the car in December. i was a little harder on my engine during break-in than what is suggested in the manual, and i don't know if that will help or hurt. not burning oil that i can measure yet. it is funny that you had a sympathetic person the 1st time - and she is right IMO. the 2nd person is partially right too - the manual does call out that it is normal for the car to burn a little oil. which i think is bullcrap.

i have seen a couple other posts on this forum about the car using oil. the only thing you can do with regard to Audi is get the oil consumption test authorized and get your car through that test. outside of what to do with Audi, i would get your oil changed every 5k miles. that should solve you having to add oil since it sounds like it took about 7k miles for your oil light to come on. 10k miles between oil changes, even if suggested by Audi, is too long in my opinion. i am planning to do it every 5k, but that is just me. best of luck to you and i hope you are able to get your issues resolved.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

As a previous owner of a BMW GT 8cyl. Mine used oil up to the 12,000 mile point. Added about 3/4 to 1 Qt every 4000 miles. BMW said it was normal for their 8cyl engines. My last BMW 640i GC - 6cyl twin turbo never used a drop.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My S3 was the first car with the 2.0 engine that didn't burn oil at the rate you're talking about - turbo cars are even more infamous.

The coolant issue is unusual I think - keep asking for a pressure test if it keeps using coolant IMO.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every car I've bought new I've ignored the break in procedure and run it hard. Over 30 years I've never had engine problems or leaks.

I have heard though that these engines are notorious for burning a bit of oil. So far, know on wood, mine hasn't.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by davisflyer
Every car I've bought new I've ignored the break in procedure and run it hard. Over 30 years I've never had engine problems or leaks.

I have heard though that these engines are notorious for burning a bit of oil. So far, know on wood, mine hasn't.
How many of those new cars were either French, German or Italian?
Old 02-16-2017, 02:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That's normal. Don't listen to the 15k to change oil. I do it every 8k. for my 2015 A3 This issue happened to me with my 2011 GTI as well. You got to watch out for it.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by arU4ic
How many of those new cars were either French, German or Italian?
LOL, no Frenchies or Italians, but a couple Germans and a Brit.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have almost 42k miles on my 2015 A3 and have had no issues with the oil. I have had a similar issue with the coolant and they said that there is some notice relating to excessive air in the system where it just need to be relieved. They did a test and didn't find any leak, but I'm skeptical because I could swear I smell some on occasion. I just bought some coolant from Audi and some distilled water and mix a small amount together and keep a watch on the level. Since then, I haven't had any issues. Good luck!