Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

2016 A3 Sportback e-tron

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rfortson
Chadbag, good to see you here as well. I have a question about your crossbars? Did you have a rack on your JSW? If so, would those crossbars work? I have two sets (slightly different) for my JSW and was hoping to use one set for my E-Tron. I noticed some round holes/indents on the insides of the rails, front and back. I'm wondering if the Audi cross bars use those holes. Not sure I want to spring $365 for cross bars that I'll use 2-3 times a year.

Anyhoo...happy driving all!

I've been getting around 20 miles (including crossing a valley down and then back up) on electric batteries consistently. My son's school is about 12.x miles away across the Salt Lake Valley from where we live. It is pretty much a lot of spaced lights and heavy commuting traffic and I can get there and 2/3rd of the way back home with a light foot. That includes having the A/C on a low fan and 76-77 degrees (i.e., not blasting).

With regards the roof rails / cross bars. My e-tron does not have the roof rails. My JSW does of course but I did not have cross bars for it. Since the e-tron did not have the roof rails, I bought the Audi cross bars made for the A3 and specced for the e-tron. Since I had $900 left on two VW dealer cards, I went to a local VW dealer who is affiliated with an Audi dealer and they did an internal sale to the VW dealer and he sold them to me (under MSRP a little) so I could use the VW dealer cards from the Goodwill Package. So it was no out of pocket for the cross bars. I ended up with the cross bars, the factory rubber floor mats front and rear, the cross bar protective storage bag, a VW labeled cargo net, and a VW labeled bike rack for the cross bars, and I ended up paying part of the sales tax on it -- everything else was thanks to the Goodwill VW dealer cards.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

New owner here! Picked up a red premium plus with tech package and roof rails. Loving it so far.

First, to the early pioneers Ben and Jeremy, thanks for getting all the connectivity gremlins sussed out.
This is Ben. One of the first e-tron owners to take delivery early in January. So far so good. I just passed 10,000 miles today. I am getting around 16-18 miles when driving in EV mode in the mornings (cooler and hilly route). And getting around 18-20 miles when driving in EV mode in the afternoon (warmer and less hilly route). Although lately, I've just been putting it in "Hybrid" mode since I got tired of paying $2 to charge at work (for max of 6.8 kWh) and I've been getting over 50MPG regularly.

As far as cross bar for your roof rail, I believe Audi sells two kinds of roof racks: one for without rails and one for those with built-in rails. Thule also makes two AeroBlade crossbars that can fit your roof rail. I found that the Audi brand is actually cheaper than the Thule branded roof rack. Also some dealers have coupons. I got 20% off MSRP with mine. I myself bought the Audi factory roof rack (I don't have roof rails) for the A3 Sportback (which I believe is made by Thule also).
-Ben

Base carrier bars for A3 Sportback with roof rails.

Here's the Audi roof rack for cars without rails. Yes, my car is next to another Sportback e-tron.

Roof rack for cars without rails.

Last edited by bruinmac; 09-06-2016 at 01:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rfortson (07-30-2019)
Old 09-15-2016, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info, Ben. I'll have to look for a coupon. I have a VW one, and I was thinking of checking Keffer's or some other online VW shops to see if they'll sell an Audi rack. 20% off of nearly $400 is nice.

Not sure if I posted this, but my first tank of gas (including a road trip to San Antonio - 250 miles there and then filled up) netted 60mpg. I still need to figure out the best way to track the actual electricity I'm using at home, though I suspect it will be minimal. Seems like my EV range is creeping up slightly. I'm getting home in the evenings with a few miles of battery remaining, enough for even another errand out after work. So far, this is working out as well as I could have imagined.

Haven't seen any other e-trons around here, but I did have a guy approach me yesterday who obviously knew what I was driving. He was in a Mustang, but was very interested in my car. His case was similar to mine, lives close to work, wants EV for work commute but something enjoyable to drive.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Audi A3 e-tron

Is there any chance that the A3 e-tron will be available with Quattro?
Old 09-20-2016, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sailor99
Is there any chance that the A3 e-tron will be available with Quattro?
I haven't seen anything about a Quattro e-tron in the A3, but that would be cool. Only thing I've seen is the European Q7 Quattro/diesel/e-tron. I don't think they're going to bring it to the US, though.

If the A3 e-tron is successful, then maybe we'd see it in other Audis, but I haven't seen any speculation on that.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

I wish they would, but I believe it may be a packaging issue. Unlike the Torsen, the Haldex quattro system involves a significant piece of equipment over the rear axle. With the battery already where the gas tank normally would go, and the gas tank where the spare would normally go, there may not be much room left back there.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

I haven't seen anything about a Quattro e-tron in the A3, but that would be cool. Only thing I've seen is the European Q7 Quattro/diesel/e-tron. I don't think they're going to bring it to the US, though.

If the A3 e-tron is successful, then maybe we'd see it in other Audis, but I haven't seen any speculation on that.
We might get the Q7 etron with a gas engine (likely the 2.0T).
Old 09-20-2016, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

First post, first Audi, hell - first decent automobile I've ever owned in 15 years of driving - a 2016 A3 Sportback e-tron!

Living in NYC my entire life, I only ever used a car to haul gear to gigs (longtime cover band bassist). And my only cars were hand-me-down sedans from relatives who couldn't be bothered to sell them. My last car was a beat-up 2004 LeSabre.

But now I'm a new Los Angeles resident, and if there was ever a place that prompted a long overdue car upgrade, this is it.

So I have absolutely nothing to compare my new Audi to, but goodness am I smitten with it. I am in awe of all the incredible amenities at my fingertips, and I have never pressed the gas pedal on anything that had such "pick-up" before. I drove the 10 freeway yesterday with the biggest grin on my face (which subsided when I had to park it at the supermarket and I suddenly became a neurotic mess).

Anyway, hello! I will try and frequent this forum as much as I frequent guitar forums and hopefully learn a thing or two about Audis along the way.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jbnah
First post, first Audi, hell - first decent automobile I've ever owned in 15 years of driving - a 2016 A3 Sportback e-tron!

Living in NYC my entire life, I only ever used a car to haul gear to gigs (longtime cover band bassist). And my only cars were hand-me-down sedans from relatives who couldn't be bothered to sell them. My last car was a beat-up 2004 LeSabre.

But now I'm a new Los Angeles resident, and if there was ever a place that prompted a long overdue car upgrade, this is it.

So I have absolutely nothing to compare my new Audi to, but goodness am I smitten with it. I am in awe of all the incredible amenities at my fingertips, and I have never pressed the gas pedal on anything that had such "pick-up" before. I drove the 10 freeway yesterday with the biggest grin on my face (which subsided when I had to park it at the supermarket and I suddenly became a neurotic mess).

Anyway, hello! I will try and frequent this forum as much as I frequent guitar forums and hopefully learn a thing or two about Audis along the way.
Off topic but does your band have a website or youtube portfolio? I'm looking for a cover band for my wedding. Looking for a current pop cover band
Old 09-20-2016, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jbnah

Welcome! I feel the same way driving mine. Just a fun drive, and I love rolling along in EV mode back and forth to work. My first tank was 60 mpg.

Quick Reply: 2016 A3 Sportback e-tron