Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

2016 A3 Sportback e-tron

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Hypermiler achieves 34 EV miles with A3 e-tron

Renowned hypermiler Wayne Gerdes, tested the A3 e-tron and was able to get 34 EV miles in one charge! Overall he liked the car and he said that Audi's on-board computer for calculating MPG is spot on:

2016 Audi A3 e-tron Review | CleanMPG
Old 05-22-2016, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you all getting the full 31 miles displayed on the computer on each full charge? Mine seem to only go as high as 23 miles. I've only seen the 30 miles fully charge once.

That's a 26% loss from stated mileage.

Edit: Doing a bit more digging on this issue. I think Audi calculates the average of how you drive and based on that it displays the maximum mileage you'd get when only using full electric.

I think I'll need to change my driving habit. Albeit, its hard because of that instant torque gratification you get from using electric.

Last edited by 2 EURO; 05-23-2016 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I've had mine about 2 months now. I get 23 or 24 miles (readout) at a full charge. Full electric fill is never more than 6.5 KW. i have a short commute, so it gets me there each day. So in 2500 miles I've filled the gas tank 5 times.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default New owner questions

Hi,

Thanks in advance for any help.

What are you guys using for floor mat and cargo liners for wet weather or muddy conditions? Any experiences would be appreciated. I used to have a burlap custom liner in an old car. It was black mixed with a little red, which I'd love, but I won't hold my breath for that.

What do you do, if anything, for a trash bag? I'm thinking of putting a little box under the front seat. Anyone have anything like that for storage?

The jack is getting in my way. I'm thinking of carving some of the foam so it can fit under the cargo area floor, or putting it under the front seat. Anyone do either?

Any bike/cargo rack solutions are appreciated. I may go with the Audi roof bar kit (my car did not come with rails) but I need to know what rack systems it's compatible with. I hope Thule.

Lastly, not an accessory but what is the little plastic piece in the glovebox for?

I know that is a lot of questions, but I hope to add value as I gain experience with the car.

Thanks
Old 08-25-2016, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Tim Beloney
Hi,

What are you guys using for floor mat and cargo liners for wet weather or muddy conditions? Any experiences would be appreciated. I used to have a burlap custom liner in an old car. It was black mixed with a little red, which I'd love, but I won't hold my breath for that.
Coming from 2 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI, I had two of the VW dealer goodwill cards that could only be used at a VW dealer. One of the local VW dealers is affiliated with an Audi dealer and they agreed to get me Audi accessories I could pay for with the VW dealer card. So I got the factory heavy duty rubber floor mats front and back. Nothing yet for the cargo area.

Any bike/cargo rack solutions are appreciated. I may go with the Audi roof bar kit (my car did not come with rails) but I need to know what rack systems it's compatible with. I hope Thule.
With the cards I also got the Audi factory roof rack (I also did not have the rails). I have heard it is made by Thule but any maker that uses the T-slot attachment will work with it.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by jim_bob
I've had mine about 2 months now. I get 23 or 24 miles (readout) at a full charge. Full electric fill is never more than 6.5 KW. i have a short commute, so it gets me there each day. So in 2500 miles I've filled the gas tank 5 times.
I've had it almost 4 weeks. I've filled once in 700 miles (not including the all gas driving I did to get the car from AZ to UT when I bought it). "gas mileage" including EV and gas driving was 76mpg for me. I hope to drive that a little up as I had one trip with the wife to look at houses during a local "Parade of Homes" and the car was mostly battery empty already so we did a good 50 miles extra gas that day.

Most of my driving is in EV mode except a weekly trip down to Utah County, and a couple miles each day at the tail end of taking my son to school (24 mile round trip). I get about 20 real miles, including up hill terrain etc. I think I would be getting a bit more if it were flat. The car reads 23-27 miles when fully charged. I am charging with 120V only as I have no 240V in my garage (and it is a rental house).
Old 08-25-2016, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

One complaint I have about US Audi e-tron is the lack of true "Prestige" models on the lots. I was thinking of waiting and ordering a 2017 but knew I wouldn't be able to negotiate 15% + $1000 off like I was getting for an on-lot 2016 (2 different dealers) and the price difference made the wife happy (and threatened being able to get one of any stripes). So I went shopping for available ones on-lot and agreeing to buy then and there if the price was right. I looked at and contacted all the dealers in Idaho, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, and Las Vegas (did not get the Tahoe one) and while some advertised "prestige" models, they were really "Premium Plus" models with the MMI package as a minimum and often the Sport or B&O radio package. No one had a true Prestige so I ended up with the Premium Plus loaded. I finally, later found one true "Prestige" in Tulsa OK and one (from about 11 dealers) in the Los Angeles area. I am sure there are a few others.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

We have a Prestige model (wanted the auto driving functions), but after searching high and low like you have, we ended up ordering it from the factory. Dealer said Audi thinks the buyers are more price conscious, so they are skewing towards the cheaper configurations, so all Prestige models either get snapped up while on the ship, or end up being ordered.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ericbergan
We have a Prestige model (wanted the auto driving functions), but after searching high and low like you have, we ended up ordering it from the factory. Dealer said Audi thinks the buyers are more price conscious, so they are skewing towards the cheaper configurations, so all Prestige models either get snapped up while on the ship, or end up being ordered.
Typical "VW" mentality. Chase the Honda and Toyota buyers. The stupid thing is a "Premium Plus" with all the packages is almost the same price as a "Prestige" with technology. A couple $k less maybe.

I wanted a 2017 Prestige and have been wanting to order it but the dealer had no order info (this was before it was released) and it got late enough that I doubted I could have gotten it in this year (wanted the tax benefits this year) and I doubted I could have negotiated the same kind of %-off I got the 2016 that was on the lot for and that became a deciding factor when talking with the wife.

I like the car I have but would have rather had a "Prestige" if there had been any in any of the states I checked.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 08-31-2016, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New owner here! Picked up a red premium plus with tech package and roof rails. Loving it so far.

First, to the early pioneers Ben and Jeremy, thanks for getting all the connectivity gremlins sussed out. My dealer had all the emails to me before I left the lot and everything fired up/connected first thing. I think Audi could combine etron connect and mmi connect, but it is what it is right now. Just because I could, I started my AC before leaving my office to get in the car yesterday. My wife will really love that as she hates getting into a hot car.

AFAIK, I got the only red one for sale in Texas. I drove to San Antonio for it, but that's a nice drive so I didn't mind. Had to leave my JSW there as I couldn't get anyone to ride with me on a work day. Just means I'll have a second road trip with the family to pick it us as well.

So far, driving it hard/fast back to Houston, I got just over 34 mpg. That included about 30-45 minutes at a 2-3mph crawl through Houston traffic. My JSW would have gotten maybe 37-38mpg, so I'm happy with this. The first day with a full battery, I got around 12-13 miles with lots of short little trips. Today, I'm a little more "on schedule" with my driving and I should complete my work day on battery alone, around 15 miles total.

I looked at the Volt in addition to this car, and while the new Volt is a nice car, it was a little cramped compared to the E-Tron, and the Audi build/interior is nicer. Each PHEV/EV is different and hard to directly compare. This Audi is probably the best mileage I'll get from an Audi so I'm completely satified with it. (Though I'm not expecting 800 mile range, either.)

Not too many charge points around that I'm aware of, though there is one (oddly enough) at a Cracker Barrel where we eat with my mother-in-law. Not too many Teslas hanging out at the Cracker Barrel, so I may try charging there just because I can. At home, I'm using a 110 outlet in my garage, but I'm looking to put in a 240/50A circuit for this and future cars.

Chadbag, good to see you here as well. I have a question about your crossbars? Did you have a rack on your JSW? If so, would those crossbars work? I have two sets (slightly different) for my JSW and was hoping to use one set for my E-Tron. I noticed some round holes/indents on the insides of the rails, front and back. I'm wondering if the Audi cross bars use those holes. Not sure I want to spring $365 for cross bars that I'll use 2-3 times a year.

Anyhoo...happy driving all!

Quick Reply: 2016 A3 Sportback e-tron