Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

2016 A3 Sportback e-tron

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jbnah
First post, first Audi, hell - first decent automobile I've ever owned in 15 years of driving - a 2016 A3 Sportback e-tron!

Living in NYC my entire life, I only ever used a car to haul gear to gigs (longtime cover band bassist). And my only cars were hand-me-down sedans from relatives who couldn't be bothered to sell them. My last car was a beat-up 2004 LeSabre.

But now I'm a new Los Angeles resident, and if there was ever a place that prompted a long overdue car upgrade, this is it.

So I have absolutely nothing to compare my new Audi to, but goodness am I smitten with it. I am in awe of all the incredible amenities at my fingertips, and I have never pressed the gas pedal on anything that had such "pick-up" before. I drove the 10 freeway yesterday with the biggest grin on my face (which subsided when I had to park it at the supermarket and I suddenly became a neurotic mess).

Anyway, hello! I will try and frequent this forum as much as I frequent guitar forums and hopefully learn a thing or two about Audis along the way.
FYI. You can now apply for the Green HOV stickers again.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Mileage

I would like to know what fuel mileage A3 e-tron owners are getting. Please share your numbers.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sailor99
I would like to know what fuel mileage A3 e-tron owners are getting. Please share your numbers.
We're probably outliers, but my wife drives ours for errands/meetings/recreation, and after 10 weeks, still hasn't put gas in the tank. She does sometimes plug it in a couple times a day, but we have solar so that isn't a big deal.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Houston and leased the car in San Antonio (250 miles away). Including the drive from San Antonio (where the car essentially had no charge before picking it up), I got 60 mpg on the first tank. Second tank included a trip to and back from San Antonio so it came to 47.5 mpg. Those types of highway trips are atypical for me. I live 5 miles from the office, so I drive to/from work and out to lunch each day and drive on battery alone. Therefore, I expect tanks in the 60-80 mpg range. The only time I use gas is in the evenings if I don't have time to recharge, or on the weekends if I drive into/through Houston. I figure I'll fill the 10 gallon tank about once per month.

It's the perfect fit for my driving style. The worst I'll see is 45-50 mpg for a tank, and most likely it will be ~70 mpg for a tank.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Lots of variables. However, if you don't ever plug it in for charging, I think you can probably expect somewhere around 35-45 MPG. In my case, I charge before I leave for work, and I can charge at work too. My daily commute is about 50 miles roundtrip. In LA freeway traffic, I can drive 16-17 miles in pure EV in the morning and usually can get 19-20 miles in the afternoon going home. So in those few miles after EV range has runout, the on board computer usually displays 80-90 MPG.

-Ben

Last edited by bruinmac; 09-23-2016 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bruinmac
Lots of variables. However, if you don't ever plug it in for charging, I think you can probably expect somewhere around 35-45 MPG. In my case, I charge before I leave for work, and I can charge at work too. My daily commute is about 50 miles roundtrip. In LA freeway traffic, I can drive 16-17 miles in pure EV in the morning and usually can get 19-20 miles in the afternoon going home. So in those few miles after EV range has runout, the on board computer usually displays 80-90 MPG.

-Ben
Thank you for the post.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

My current tank started 15 days ago. I've driven 320 miles on it, and I'm still at 3/4 of a tank. To paraphrase a reality TV star, this tank will be YUUUGE!

Seriously, I expect this to be my typical tank, with weekdays on EV alone, and weekends with some gas thrown in. I figure it will be 70-80 mpg.

I've also done a rough calculation and figure I'm paying ~$15/month on electricity, which equates to 6 gallons of gas at $2.50/gallon.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default A3 e-tron

Thank you for sharing your numbers. I am considering what to do with our A3 TDI. We love the torque and fuel mileage. I wish it had Quattro. We have a solar electrical system so it makes sense to buy a plug-in hybrid.

We have looked at the Q3 Quattro but after driving the A3 TDI it feels under powered. Also, I don't believe that the current Q3 is built on the new modular platform.

A solution would be to offer Quattro in the A3 e-tron or, more likely, to make the Q3 Quattro an e-tron. If Audi put the A3 e-tron engine in the Q3 that might be the answer. It has a lot more torque that the current engine.

I think our best option for the near future is to get the "fix" for the TDI. In a year or two, hopefully, Audi will build something else that has Quattro and the torque that I want.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you for sharing your numbers. I am considering what to do with our A3 TDI. We love the torque and fuel mileage. I wish it had Quattro. We have a solar electrical system so it makes sense to buy a plug-in hybrid.

We have looked at the Q3 Quattro but after driving the A3 TDI it feels under powered. Also, I don't believe that the current Q3 is built on the new modular platform.

A solution would be to offer Quattro in the A3 e-tron or, more likely, to make the Q3 Quattro an e-tron. If Audi put the A3 e-tron engine in the Q3 that might be the answer. It has a lot more torque that the current engine.

I think our best option for the near future is to get the "fix" for the TDI. In a year or two, hopefully, Audi will build something else that has Quattro and the torque that I want.
You're right. I wouldn't touch the current or 2017 Q3 with a 10-foot pole. That's been essentially the same vehicle that was introduced in 2011 but with interior and exterior changes. Personally, the A3 e-tron is an "in-between" car for me until Audi releases the e-tron quattro (Q6?) in 2018/2019.
-Ben
Old 09-28-2016, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bruinmac
You're right. I wouldn't touch the current or 2017 Q3 with a 10-foot pole. That's been essentially the same vehicle that was introduced in 2011 but with interior and exterior changes. Personally, the A3 e-tron is an "in-between" car for me until Audi releases the e-tron quattro (Q6?) in 2018/2019.
-Ben
Well, this is my first Audi, but I leased it for this reason (something better should be along in 3 years). Oh and also to ease my concerns about long-term reliability. So far, so good!

BTW, Ben, do you know if these cars support automatically dipping the passenger mirror to the curb during reverse? I tried to enable it using the steps in the Audi video, but it doesn't seem to work.

Quick Reply: 2016 A3 Sportback e-tron