Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

2017 US Order Guide A3 Cab, Sedan, e-tron, S3

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, after looking online for a Premium Plus with pretty much most of the options/packages, it doesn't exist so I don't have to much faith that one is pre-ordered in with the options I want. It would be great if the dealer located something that's ordered the way I'm seeking. Well, I would take my car to see if what trade in they would/could provide but have a feeling it'll be nowhere near so won't present that, most likely. Also, when you pre order, how much is a typical deposit? $500? $1000? It is refundable if the car makes it and option missing or damage of any kind, right? Also, I'm not making any payments or dealing with finance manager until the car is at the dealership delivered, right? Thanks!
Old 07-29-2016, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At this stage dealers are only showing inventory on what is left of the 16s. You can get anything you want and are willing to pay for as a pre-order. There are a few cars where production runs are so short, that there would be difficulty in getting even a pre-order. It does not sound like you are going to want one of those.

You should be able to get a reasonably accurate idea of what your trade is worth from KBB, Edumunds and NADA. Those numbers do vary and realistic trade will also depend on specific condition and whether it is a car the dealer feels they will have to sell at an auction. If you do not have a trade they want selling to a private party may be a better option.

If an ordered car comes in damaged you have the right to refuse it, and get a refund of deposit if they do not offer you an acceptable alternate. I had two ordered cars that were refused. One was damaged in route by the factory forgetting to close plugs on the battery of a car over it on the trailer (all top surfaces had acid damage down to the bare metal) and the other was damaged in an accident when they were backing it off the trailer.

Normally if it comes in with a difference in options positive or negative, price will be revised based on that and it is up to you to decide if you want the car. While not as easy as some things to get into the contract, some dealers will agree and put in writing an adjustment based on invoice pricing if there are differences.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BobMar46
At this stage dealers are only showing inventory on what is left of the 16s. You can get anything you want and are willing to pay for as a pre-order. There are a few cars where production runs are so short, that there would be difficulty in getting even a pre-order. It does not sound like you are going to want one of those.

You should be able to get a reasonably accurate idea of what your trade is worth from KBB, Edumunds and NADA. Those numbers do vary and realistic trade will also depend on specific condition and whether it is a car the dealer feels they will have to sell at an auction. If you do not have a trade they want selling to a private party may be a better option.

If an ordered car comes in damaged you have the right to refuse it, and get a refund of deposit if they do not offer you an acceptable alternate. I had two ordered cars that were refused. One was damaged in route by the factory forgetting to close plugs on the battery of a car over it on the trailer (all top surfaces had acid damage down to the bare metal) and the other was damaged in an accident when they were backing it off the trailer.

Normally if it comes in with a difference in options positive or negative, price will be revised based on that and it is up to you to decide if you want the car. While not as easy as some things to get into the contract, some dealers will agree and put in writing an adjustment based on invoice pricing if there are differences.
Thanks for clarifying! 3 months can be a long wait but it's worth it. Price is the final straw. Is it possible to email few dealerships for preorder pricing negotiation? Or, this requires in person sit down and possible that lovely elongated salesman experience. Ha
Old 07-29-2016, 07:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by score0412
Thanks for clarifying! 3 months can be a long wait but it's worth it. Price is the final straw. Is it possible to email few dealerships for preorder pricing negotiation? Or, this requires in person sit down and possible that lovely elongated salesman experience. Ha
Email or texting is the least annoying route. You'll still have to go in to confirm everything, but it should be pretty chill since you'll have already negotiated the deal.

They aren't all that motivated to do an order, but the floor guys are the least motivated.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by score0412
If you go to the dealer's web site you should be able to find out who to contact in the internet department. Some will quote that way or from a web site inquiry, others won't. 17 is just a minor update on a design that has been around for a couple of years. That should make things a little easier than if it was the first year on a redesign.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Do dealers allow you to trade in a vehicle but not put that money towards a down payment? Would they just give me all that money back in "cash"? I don't want to go through the hassle of a private party sale but also don't want to put any money down in case the car gets totalled.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Audi2589
Do dealers allow you to trade in a vehicle but not put that money towards a down payment? Would they just give me all that money back in "cash"? I don't want to go through the hassle of a private party sale but also don't want to put any money down in case the car gets totalled.
Yes, they can give you a check back for the trade in value.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Audi2589
New car dealers, if it is a car they want, will buy a used car from retail customers. Most tend to want the same brand and there is usually a limit on how old and how many miles. Most only want pristine pre-owned cars on their lot. Purchases from retail customers eliminate fixed fees they have when they buy a used vehicle through an auction.

Used car dealers also buy from people at times. Depending on the mix of cars they usually offer there may be more flexibility on age and mileage and possibly condition. Carmax for example, if they have interest in your car will give you a firm offer quickly - usually in less than a half an hour.

With either it would be an individual transaction and you would be paid agreed price before you leave. But you will also have to turn in the car that day. Most will not pay any more than wholesale price on what you sell them and usually not more than web sites like Kelly, Edmunds etc. would show for trade value with an honest classification of age, mileage and condition of your car. They also all have access to CarFax info and will be easily able to see if your car was involved in accidents, had normal maintenance and/or had a bunch of problems that were serviced at a dealer. Anything negative on those will reduce to eliminate interest.

Main advantage you would have in finding a retail customer would be that pricing most people get is somewhere between what they would get as a trade and what they would have to pay a dealer for a similar used car. It can help reduce the net cost difference when buying a new car. Downside may be timing. Not all can be sold quickly.

Downsides on any of the above three options are that on a dealer trade handled as one transaction you only (at least in my state) pay sales tax on the net difference in cost between the new car and trade value. You will likely have a period in which you either do not have your existing car before the new one comes in or you will have two cars for a while. If the latter happened you would have the same accident risk as if you traded the car. A third advantage of a trade, is that most new car dealers will take just about anything as a trade. If it is not one they want they will wholesale it and price it accordingly but most dealers are more flexible as a trade than they would be in buying from a retail customer.

Frankly if you have an accident in the car before you sell it, it will hurt the car's value no matter what you do. The insurance company may fix it and it may look good and drive good, but fewer people will buy it. Between CarFax and state accident reports you can not hide the history. If damage is so bad that the car is totaled, usually you will get a settlement of retail value on the car (based on its age and mileage) which is a higher number then you would get when selling or trading it in.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

In my situation, my car has no issues and has been in no accidents. I financed it and still have two years to pay. Based on KBB, the value is more than what I currently own so I would want to trade it in for my Audi lease but not use the left over money towards a down payment. I would use the left over money to help towards the monthly payments.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is all great details. One salesman said pricing for 2017 won't be available until end of August. Does that sound accurate? So, I'll research for Internet Managers at dealerships and try to email and see what discounts they'll offer and then finish it off by going to the dealership if it requires a deposit and finalized paperwork. Is there any chance the negotiated percent off msrp can be renegotiated when the car gets delivered in case there's any other discounts that may be applied? Or, what I agree when preordering is finalized?

Quick Reply: 2017 US Order Guide A3 Cab, Sedan, e-tron, S3