Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

30 MPG y'alls! (S3)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 30 MPG y'alls! (S3)

My wife bet me that I could not get 30 mpg going from San Francisco to LA. I took the bet, set the cruise for 72 (PAINFUL!) on a freeway that has a 70 mph limit (did I mention the pain)... if it were not for the grapevine (big, long steep mountain area before you get to LA) I might have had 32.

See attached proof honey!
Attached Images  
Old 09-02-2015, 01:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And at quite the test temperature too...

For the first 1000 miles (babying it) I was hitting 32+ for any highway commute, since then I've worked really hard to keep it closer to 24 mpg... for obvious reasons.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Nice! I just did a drive in my 2.0--a different beast, I know--from L.A. to San Jose and back this past weekend and ended up at 38 mpg for the trip. Wish I'd remembered to take a photo!
Old 09-02-2015, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by retrofuturist
Nice! I just did a drive in my 2.0--a different beast, I know--from L.A. to San Jose and back this past weekend and ended up at 38 mpg for the trip. Wish I'd remembered to take a photo!
Man, 38 is drool-worthy, at least when we get back to $4/ gallon. What was your average speed if you were to guess?
Old 09-03-2015, 01:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

arU4ic do you use the (I forget the name of it), I know it's the second menu from the instrument cluster LCD (not the one you pictured) this one has a 'green' color, it will show your car's current and average mpg savings?

I never take my instrument cluster off that setting. I once got as high as 35, 36ish mpg average on long trips, but I love to watch when the car is coasting and it can be at like 60, 80, and briefly flashing 150-200 mpg (down slopes).

Now if only Audi didn't compromise on us and included the 'Economy' drive select mode, and the Auto-Engine function. We would be able to save a lot more fuel.

IMO, the A3 2.0T which I have, which is the best mpg model outside of the TDI (and future e-tron) sucks up gas too damn much. I feel like I'm refueling weekly.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by arU4ic
Man, 38 is drool-worthy, at least when we get back to $4/ gallon. What was your average speed if you were to guess?
I'd say my avg speed was close to yours, around 72-75 mph. I was also trying to conserve. Seeing that 38 show up was awesome because it was such a far cry from my everyday mpg. In L.A. stop-and-go traffic, I'm often at 18 mpg and sometimes go as low as 14 mpg. I wouldn't mind it if I were pushing the car through some canyon driving, but to just sit there and watch that gas waste away really hurts...
Old 09-03-2015, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Wow and I was happy in my "puny" 1.8 to have 28mpg average over first 1600 miles. then again, I'm in Los Angeles and I think my mph average is under 40. Got to love LA traffic!
Old 09-03-2015, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

cool i think im getting like 14 mpg in my s3
lovin' it!
enjoy!
Old 09-04-2015, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Good job!

Originally Posted by arU4ic
My wife bet me that I could not get 30 mpg going from San Francisco to LA. I took the bet, set the cruise for 72 (PAINFUL!) on a freeway that has a 70 mph limit (did I mention the pain)... if it were not for the grapevine (big, long steep mountain area before you get to LA) I might have had 32.

See attached proof honey!
Even if annoying.
I have trouble getting good mpg going north in I5. I think the prevailing winds . Got the Stage 1 ECU flash; not sure it helps mpg
Old 09-04-2015, 10:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gamegenie
arU4ic do you use the (I forget the name of it), I know it's the second menu from the instrument cluster LCD (not the one you pictured) this one has a 'green' color, it will show your car's current and average mpg savings?

I never take my instrument cluster off that setting. I once got as high as 35, 36ish mpg average on long trips, but I love to watch when the car is coasting and it can be at like 60, 80, and briefly flashing 150-200 mpg (down slopes).

Now if only Audi didn't compromise on us and included the 'Economy' drive select mode, and the Auto-Engine function. We would be able to save a lot more fuel.

IMO, the A3 2.0T which I have, which is the best mpg model outside of the TDI (and future e-tron) sucks up gas too damn much. I feel like I'm refueling weekly.
Yeah, its the efficiency menu, and I do use it but mostly for setting AC. Obviously the temperature made the use of AC a no-brainer.

The tank is pretty small, 14 gallons goes fast.

Quick Reply: 30 MPG y'alls! (S3)