Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

A3 After 1 Week Experience.... a few MAJOR Flaws.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by huntergatherer
Sexting waits for no man my friend
Great. In most states, you'll have plenty of time to do it in jail if you're caught causing an accident.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just never take my phone out - as long as I can answer a quick call (ie. yes I'll be there in 10 minutes - hangup) using some button on the wheel/dash I'm good. Why do I need to play with my phone in the car (besides being illegal here)?
Old 03-05-2015, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The running gag with Americans and they're NEED MORE CUPHOLDERZ OMG never gets old to read about. I never bring drinks in any of my cars, it's just a disaster waiting to happen.

If anything, has anybody noticed that when you're in Reverse, you can't open the door to say, check your spacing between the lines without the car automatically putting the e-brake on? Can that option be deleted with VCDS?
Old 03-05-2015, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiA3_girl
...If anything, has anybody noticed that when you're in Reverse, you can't open the door to say, check your spacing between the lines without the car automatically putting the e-brake on? Can that option be deleted with VCDS?
That one really caught me by surprise. I was slowly backing into a left-side parking space (on a one-way street) and wanted to check my distance to the curb, so I opened the door slightly and the electronic parking brake engaged--scared the sh*t out of me. I assume it's a safety feature, but I have to question the thought process here. I certainly hope this only works in reverse and only at low speeds, otherwise it seems just as likely to cause an accident as to prevent one. I'm not a fan of electronic parking brakes for other reasons as well, but everyone seems to be going that way nowadays.

As for the rest of the items mentioned in this thread...

This business about price point makes sense when you're talking about a base model, but it starts to become meaningless when you have optioned out your new A3 with the prestige package, advanced technology package, etc. to the tune of more than $50,000 MSRP. Hell, that's $15k just in optional equipment, so the lack of Homelink and power seats (on the cabrio) is still mystifying. At the end of the day, however, these really are minor gripes, because the car has amazing technology and safety and it's an utter blast to drive. A friend of mine just bought a new Nissan Altima and was bragging that it has a heated steering wheel. Am I jealous? Sure a heated wheel would be nice, but I'll stick with my Audi thank you very much.

What I really can't understand is why nobody here seems to be using the most obvious place in the world to put your cell phone. It's called the phone box and it's under your center armrest! That's why the MMI connector is in there, and also the USB charge port. When I get in the car, I either leave the phone in my pocket, or if I want to charge it I put it in the console box where I keep a short (8") USB charge cord. I also keep my sunglasses in here, some mints, a small pack of tissues, a cloth to wipe my glasses, and a spare electronic cigarette. That fills it about halfway to the top--the practical limit for easy access to the contents. The only drawback is that because it is out of sight I sometimes forget my phone is in there, and end up going back to the car to retrieve it. Maybe it's just old age, LOL.

Unless you're using it as your NAV, why is anyone clipping their cell phone to the dashboard or worse, putting it in the cup holder? You should have no need to touch the thing while driving, with all of the A3's built-in connectivity. Maybe I just expect better driving discipline from Audi owners. Sorry about it, but distracted driving is one of my pet peeves. Your eyes should be on the road most of the time, and on your rear view mirrors, instrument cluster or MMI screen in those brief moments when they're not. Looking down at your cup holder for any reason other than to quickly grab your travel mug or sunglasses is potentially too much of a distraction, and don't even get me started about texting. I'm still choking on that one.

By the way, what do you all think about Audi's decision to include MMI apps? The system has Facebook and Twitter I believe, and also the ability to read your text messages and emails to you over the speaker system, using your phone's Bluetooth connection. I've played with these features a little while parked, but why the hell would Audi allow these systems to operate while you're driving? If I can't play my DVD while I drive (don't worry, I don't want to), then I shouldn't be able to get Facebook updates either.

Agreed, the glove box is disappointingly small because nearly half of its interior is taken up by the large box housing a DVD/CD drive, 2 SD card slots, and a SIM card slot. Surely this could have been placed elsewhere. To fit anything in here you must relocate your owner's manual to the trunk. I put mine in a drawstring bag to keep it clean and dry, and it can either be stowed in the shallow well below the floor, or in the mesh pocket at the right rear where the 12-volt outlet is located (I also keep the first aid kit here). Now that I've figured out most of the car's systems, I haven't needed to reference it, so why take up valuable space inside the cabin?

In the end, none of these things is the reason you buy a car. For me, I wanted a small yet sophisticated AWD convertible, with quality, safety, and design integrity, that was also good looking and fun to drive. Audi's legendary Quattro system and their best-in-class Google NAV system drew me to the brand. The 2014 A5 was the first car I looked at--and for about 10 grand more it would have given me power seats with memory, Homelink, and more interior storage. However, even if I waited for a 2015 model it would still be slower than the coming A3 having the same exact powertrain, and it wouldn't offer the new generation MMI. Easy decision to wait a few months and go with the A3 instead, especially since I'm single, and live in the city where smaller is better. I knew going in what the A3's shortcomings were because I had done my homework, and can honestly say I don't have a single regret about the decision.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

No memory seats, no garage door opener, GPS much too complicated See Chrysler products in comparison (GARMIN). TPMS with monitoring of each available tire not available. All these items are available in cars with lower sticker prices.
I purchased for my wife an A3 prestige with an over USD 40,000 sticker price. Rather disappointing on an otherwise fun to drive car.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Furthermore price point would be no subject if you could get the A3 prestige without a sunroof and I m sure all the items I mentioned in previous post (memo seat etc) would cost less tan a sunroof.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Great. In most states, you'll have plenty of time to do it in jail if you're caught causing an accident.
yolo
Old 03-06-2015, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by huntergatherer
yolo
As if bragging about your driving while texting habit wasn't bad enough, following that up with the justification of "yolo" drops it down to new depths.

Wrapping you and your car around a phone poll is your loss but I wouldn't want you texting with my family in the opposite lane...
Old 03-06-2015, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Ok, let's dispense with further "texting" posts.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Ok, let's dispense with further "texting" posts.
Sorry all I was joking all along but you guys took it so serious I had to have a little fun

Quick Reply: A3 After 1 Week Experience.... a few MAJOR Flaws.