Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

A3 After 1 Week Experience.... a few MAJOR Flaws.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

I would like to have seen a driver's side memory seat included in the Premium Plus package, but other than that I can't say there is anything in this car that is really missing. It was purchased to replace a 2012 BMW 335ix Coupe. The BMW was over $12,000 more and the Audi is a much better car to drive!
Old 03-03-2015, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really just don't get the 'place to put my phone' stuff - are you using it for nav? Bluetooth from my pocket is generally fine for what I need it for, including voice navigation, unless that is broken with this car.

Don't have an A3 (at least yet) but getting one for a couple of hours on Saturday to potentially replace my FR-S. I don't think road noise will be an issue ;-). I hope I can learn to drive automatic - in 34 years of driving I've never owned an automatic, just work vehicles in the distant past (variety of pickups). At least its as close as you can get to a manual, and much easier for my 16 year old to learn on.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I keep my cell phone in the cupholder, like I've done on all of my Audi's. Except the 84 5000, the phone was too big to take with me so I left it in the glove box. The sunglasses go under the armrest. For homelink I bought a new opener on amazon that's all black with blue led's. It matches the interior color of the S3 and its barley noticeable.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I want to say that the A3 /S3 is very efficient... When I get in the car, I remove my sunglasses which are behind the cup holders. Then I place my Note 4 smartphone horizontally where the sunglasses were before. I plug in the USB from my center console.

The holder has a rubber texture and the smartphone is on an angle approximately 60 degrees. The smartphone seldom moves.

When I park my car, I remove the smartphone from the holder behind the cupholders, and place my sunglasses back behind the cupholders.

Perfect efficiency...
Old 03-04-2015, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had a 89 VW Jetta which then led to a 98 Audi A4 1.8T and now a 2015 A3 1.8T (see signature) that I've had for four months (3yr lease). I am a loyal Audi member but this car feels like a version they would have given to Enterprise Rent-A-Car. The cars of today are software based. The investment is over all the Audis and VWs for Navigation, MMI, Bluetooth ect.
The cup holders are under the HVAC so if you use a tall coffee or large water bottle, they block everything. Everyone has a cell phone today, that should be a consideration with the interior design! The door pockets narrow to a point so you need tiny hands to get anything toward the back of the pocket. The glove box is small because they have the MMI in there. The price points should be on the size of the car, the engine, that's where you make the money. If I have a family, I need an A6 or up, if I'm singe a A3 or A4 would do, but if a $15k ford fusion can have all the connectivity features so should the $30k entree level Audi. I'm just disappointed that Audi would even have such a sparse vehicle in their line up.
The excessive road noise is probably from the Continental tires, I had them on my A4 and then switch to Dunlop and the car became quiet. My A3 is a lease so I'm stuck with the tires.
I can buy a top of the line Garmin Nav for $350, the back up camera is $170 delivered, $40 for garage opener, these items are not that expensive over multiple models and brands, I just think its a case of either you're the top of the line or not. Either produce a car that represents your total brand or don't. If financially you could not produce an A3 for $30k with the bells and whistles then don't! I'm happy with the 1.8T engine, if I wanted a 3.0l I would need to get an A4 or A6, that makes sense but to have a car that has the NAV button on the center console and steering wheel but not have the navigation in the car is a cheat.
My bluetooth connects to the car very well except the name of the songs do not get displayed on the screens that is a decision Audi made on their software. If I got the better MMI+ that would have worked, there is no bluetooth connection that cannot display the song info!
OK, enough ranting about the car, some positives; auto on/off xeon headlights, auto wipers, nice audi sound system, good steering wheel feel, good exterior design, (nice lines). The 1.8T engine and 6 speed trans is smooth and fast. It's a good car just seems like the b-team designed the interior.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

The things mentioned cost money to include and Audi has targeted the A3 for a price point, aimed at a certain group of potential buyers. Comparing a Ford Focus to an Audi A3 or A4 is comparing apples to oranges. Engineering and performance are Audi's cornerstone priorities while Ford is targeting a different audience with more bells and whistles at a price point.

Perhaps an Audi higher up the line where they are able to provide more features along with their the brand-wide superior design and performance would be the better choice for those looking for more of both.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

What I do with my a3 is i put my phone behind the cup holders or in the slot between the two cup holders. The mat behind the cupholders is textured so things don't move around that much plus I usually have a drink there so it stays secure. Otherwise it's in my lap but that's mostly because i'm pretty shameless about texting while driving lol
Old 03-04-2015, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=huntergatherer;24662480... i'm pretty shameless about texting while driving lol[/QUOTE]

Not cool and definitely not funny if you are for real.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mikele
Not cool and definitely not funny if you are for real.
Sexting waits for no man my friend
Old 03-04-2015, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
The things mentioned cost money to include and Audi has targeted the A3 for a price point, aimed at a certain group of potential buyers. Comparing a Ford Focus to an Audi A3 or A4 is comparing apples to oranges. Engineering and performance are Audi's cornerstone priorities while Ford is targeting a different audience with more bells and whistles at a price point.
Perhaps an Audi higher up the line where they are able to provide more features along with their the brand-wide superior design and performance would be the better choice for those looking for more of both.
True. Let's not forget that the A3 shares its underpinnings with a VW model that is at an even lower price point. It is a lot shorter an narrower than the A4, A6, etc. so I don't how they can get the same amount of interior room in the thing, even with the transverse engine and front struts taking up less space than in the more upscale Audi's. Wonder what the cell phone storage will be like in the new TT?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A3 After 1 Week Experience.... a few MAJOR Flaws.