Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

A3 Jerky Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A3 Jerky Shifting

Hello,

I am an owner of 2015 A3 20,000Km S-tronic gearbox. I am suffering from jerky shifting in both up shifting and down shifting specially when the car is cold, it gets smoother after 10-15min drive but it doesn't disappear.

I took the car to the local dealer many times but they said they couldn't replicate the problem.

Any ideas please because this issue is driving me crazy

Thanks
Old 10-30-2016, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by amrahmed219@hotmail.com
Hello,

I am an owner of 2015 A3 20,000Km S-tronic gearbox. I am suffering from jerky shifting in both up shifting and down shifting specially when the car is cold, it gets smoother after 10-15min drive but it doesn't disappear.

I took the car to the local dealer many times but they said they couldn't replicate the problem.

Any ideas please because this issue is driving me crazy

Thanks
My experience has been similar to yours, though it has got better over time. I bought my car ~9k miles used and came from an F30 auto, so I assumed it was "normal" for this kind of transmission. This video helped explain why you should keep your foot on the brake for a second or so before shifting to first when coming out of park:

Hopefully that's useful -- would appreciate you sharing if you learn more.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by aarongobo
My experience has been similar to yours, though it has got better over time. I bought my car ~9k miles used and came from an F30 auto, so I assumed it was "normal" for this kind of transmission. This video helped explain why you should keep your foot on the brake for a second or so before shifting to first when coming out of park:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuS7gQHeZWI

Hopefully that's useful -- would appreciate you sharing if you learn more.
Thanks for your reply however I don't think this video is related to the issue that the car is shfting hard when cold sepcially that the weather here in Egypt isn't really very cold even in winter.
Appreciate your help regarding this issue.
Old 11-05-2016, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amrahmed219@hotmail.com
Thanks for your reply however I don't think this video is related to the issue that the car is shfting hard when cold sepcially that the weather here in Egypt isn't really very cold even in winter.
Appreciate your help regarding this issue.
I am not feeling jerkiness on mine except occasionally when first starting from a start.

That said if you might want to try the following. That would be to bring the car into the dealer, but have it sit there overnight. Then the next day come back in a different car and then accompany the person trying to duplicate it.

While temperatures are not all that cold where you live, in warm and moderate temperatures it takes the while for the engine to get up to operating temperature and for some of that temperature to be transmitted to the transmission. There can be some difference before that happens.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

About 2 weeks into my new (2nd hand) MY15 A3 with 20,000kms I was surprised this morning with a jerky shift from 1st to 2nd just after reversing out of the driveway. It's as if I had stabbed the brakes sharply during the shift.

Had a DQ200 7 speed for 7 years and never experienced a shift quite like this one.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I somewhat misstated my last post I meant to say "I am not feeling jerkiness on mine except occasionally when first starting from a stop."

That said my last car was a VW Eos with essentially the same transmission. IMO there has been no difference in smoothness between the two. I felt when I bought and still think that the transmission is one of the best ones based on having a variety of car brands over the years.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan_R
About 2 weeks into my new (2nd hand) MY15 A3 with 20,000kms I was surprised this morning with a jerky shift from 1st to 2nd just after reversing out of the driveway. It's as if I had stabbed the brakes sharply during the shift.

Had a DQ200 7 speed for 7 years and never experienced a shift quite like this one.
I'm not sure what it could be. perhaps check the diverter valve. They are prone to faulting over time. I've installed the DV+ diverter valve on MY16 premium plusand what a huge difference with shifting and holding boost
Old 11-07-2016, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BobMar46
I am not feeling jerkiness on mine except occasionally when first starting from a start.

That said if you might want to try the following. That would be to bring the car into the dealer, but have it sit there overnight. Then the next day come back in a different car and then accompany the person trying to duplicate it.

While temperatures are not all that cold where you live, in warm and moderate temperatures it takes the while for the engine to get up to operating temperature and for some of that temperature to be transmitted to the transmission. There can be some difference before that happens.
Thanks for your reply but the local dealer here in Egypt is terrible and they are not convinced that there is a problem. Beside that the jerkiness is also felt when downshifting most of the time specially from 4th to 3rd and from 3rd to 2nd. I drove another A3, was very smooth in both up & down shifting.
I even sent a complaint to germany but also that wasn't useful
Old 11-07-2016, 04:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here is my .02.

I have a 15 A3 with 18k MILES. I have noticed in traffic when you coast along and then re engage the gas about 50% of the times the engagement of the gears is rough. Almost like you missed a shift match. Lurches forward hard but then keeps on going. Not sure if this helps but I was going to ask about it next time at the dealer.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Which driving mode are you in? Does the behaviour change in other modes?

Quick Reply: A3 Jerky Shifting