Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models
Old 07-29-2016, 10:25 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

A3 MMI Nav Update Available

Old 05-23-2016, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i upload some pictures to show you

20mb image hosting

upload image online

image free hosting

here is the file downloaded from my audi usa

downloader-6109156773.jnlp - Speedy Share - upload your files here

see at the end of this file says 6109156773.jnlp

i am at a lost i even called audi here in michigan the head office that everyone calls in the usa is located 3 mins from me and they know me by my name and they cant fix it.

thanks everyone for helping and thank you bob

Last edited by techgorilla; 05-23-2016 at 06:10 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by techgorilla
i upload some pictures to show you

20mb image hosting

upload image online

image free hosting

here is the file downloaded from my audi usa

downloader-6109156773.jnlp - Speedy Share - upload your files here

see at the end of this file says 6109156773.jnlp

i am at a lost i even called audi here in michigan the head office that everyone calls in the usa is located 3 mins from me and they know me by my name and they cant fix it.

thanks everyone for helping and thank you bob
Thanks. I do not have access to that page because when registering my car, it asks for a sim#. My car did not come with a SIM so I have no number to provide. Because of that, I do not have access to the page you displayed above.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Do you have an active AudiConnect account? If so, then you have a SIM. If not, then you can't update it.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Squalo
Do you have an active AudiConnect account? If so, then you have a SIM. If not, then you can't update it.
I have an account (username and password), but cannot fully sign up because of no SIM or active audiconnect. Last fall, that was not necessary to get the map updates but since their site redesign, I can't get to it.

Since then, I've switched carriers so I might try to get a t-mobile sim for the car and start using the service.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by duncanator
I have an account (username and password), but cannot fully sign up because of no SIM or active audiconnect. Last fall, that was not necessary to get the map updates but since their site redesign, I can't get to it.

Since then, I've switched carriers so I might try to get a t-mobile sim for the car and start using the service.
After I bought my 15 A3 late last October I set up a user name and password for myaudi. I also needed to supply my vin number. Once that was done I had access to the page. I do not have a sim card and never signed up for AudiConnect, but it was no problem getting to the map update link and downloading the file.

However I did it in Windows 7 and I had to update Java to get the downloaded file to open. Also Firefox is my default browser, but that does not support a Java plugin. After I re-accessed the MyAudi page with the IE browser there were no problems.

Last weekend I downloaded the files from a Windows 10 computer. I also had to install Java on that, but after doing that and accessing the MyAudi page with the IE browser, there were no problems. The process may work with other browsers, but will not work with Firefox.

Also keep in mind that the update is a three step process. First download the Java file, then run it (that actually downloads the needed files), and then put the SD card into the car and run the update from MMI Setup. You will need to pick a location where the update is located.

The actual update files that should be on the SD card have 3 folders and two loose files. I think item count including folders was about 900 items. If you need current version of Java it can be downloaded at https://java.com/en/download/.

Last edited by BobMar46; 05-30-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

hey bob glad you are back i just got a new sd card 32gb from Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, and More - Newegg.com should be here friday i will try and let you know thanks for your help.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Map Update for Mac Users

Just wanted to clarify something for Mac users. Previously one of the posts mentioned that you needed to format the SD card as NTFS. OS X does not officially support NTFS although there are work arounds. FAT 32 worked fine and I was finally able to update my maps. Biggest problem is the slow and inconsistent download. It took over 2 hours. Once in the car the whole update was relatively quick even though it took me 3 (short) journeys to complete.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

The download IS very slow. Download is a little faster to a folder on the hard drive rather than SD card, but the time it takes to copy the files from there negates the speed savings. It is nice that Audi does make the update available, but considering what they charge for their cars, they should be able to afford a server and/or host from which it can be downloaded at something faster than a snail's pace.

FAT32 will recognize data locations up to 32 Gb so there should not be any access problems on the actual update files that are under 17 Gb. There might be an issue with larger capacity SDXC cards though. My car does not have a problem recognizing those. I use them for music files in the car. However access could be an issue on some computers.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

are you guys actually using the navigation? rather than just using Waze, for example?
Old 06-12-2016, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

I do use the built in navigation. Having a cab I have a strong preference for something built in and not either portable GPS or a phone. Police where I live are nuts about issuing tickets for anyone picking up a phone for any purpose. I also prefer to have the display where I can easily see it and the car system makes it easier to hear directions when the radio is playing fairly loud (not unusual with top down on the highway.) There are some phone mounting brackets available, but I would prefer not even having that visible when I park the car with the top down.

The MMI was standard on my trim level, but I would have wanted it any way because of the tie in with blind side monitor. Between headrests and cloth on passenger side there is a serious blind spot. I would not have wanted a ragtop without the BSM and Audi does not offer it as a stand alone option.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A3 MMI Nav Update Available