Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Adding ACC (adapgtive Cruise Control) to a 2017 A3

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by littleredwagen
You would know if you have ACC usually if you have a distance +/- button on the stalk. I am not sure if the sensor is present or if it is a blank in its spot
I'm guessing it's a blank since the sensor will be expensive and doesn't make sense if they put it in (since they try to save every penny possible).
Old 01-03-2017, 03:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take this with a grain of salt as I have no real expertise here...

My 17 S3 is not equipped with ACC but I have a spot for the sensor in the front grille. It's just a flat piece...the S3s with ACC have a half sphere in this spot.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by S4cruiser
Take this with a grain of salt as I have no real expertise here...

My 17 S3 is not equipped with ACC but I have a spot for the sensor in the front grille. It's just a flat piece...the S3s with ACC have a half sphere in this spot.
Oh okay. In my A7 and ex-A6, there are two spheres on either sides where the fog lamps should have been. Someone in another forum even wondered what those fake fog lamps were!!
Old 01-04-2017, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
Oh okay. In my A7 and ex-A6, there are two spheres on either sides where the fog lamps should have been. Someone in another forum even wondered what those fake fog lamps were!!
yeah on the MQB platform they are centerline mounted at the bottom of the main radiator grill. C7 platform as you mentioned has 2 sensors, the B8/B8.5 had one on the passenger side.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default My Frined German car mechanic is looking into it

So, I spoke to my friend who is a German import mechanic in town, and he is looking into it. I think a lot of the confusion is because of the following:

Older models with ACC needed a lot of work to add it, including adding sensors, braking module, wiring, stalk, and unlocking the feature in the computer.

The newest models already have many of the ACC-related systems to implement the Pre-Sense safety systems.

The question my mechanic friend is looking into is, how much of the system is already there in my exact year(2017), model(A3 Cabrio), and trim (premplus+tech package+sport package), and what would need to be added?
Old 01-04-2017, 05:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here is the radar module already present on the front of my car--looks like the same one as for the ACC model..

Old 01-04-2017, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Is that a pic taken from inside or outside? Outside as in, from the front of the grill. If they've included the module, it is nice. You'll just need the ACC stalk and some coding and you'll be in your way.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its most likely just software, but its software that only the dealership can implement with VAS. I added ADS to my car, and the dealership has to "phone home" to Germany, Germany then needs to add it to the cars VIN and its database so when you go for service, they don't wipe it out with an ODIS plug in. You might also need an activation code in order to get it to work. Search around on the Audi parts website with keyword retrofit to see what comes up.

Basically if you have the Radar, the object proximity sensors (front and back) then you will most likely be able to easily add this... only needing the new stalk... along with, most likely, another module, if no VAS is needed.

Do you have OBD11 or VCD to plug into? If so, you can see if the ACC is available through adaptations. I'd ask @DJAlix on Audi-sport if he has any knowledge of turning on the feature, however I still think he is waiting on his car (RS3) to be delivered and waiting on the new Ross-Tech dongle to be released.

So eventually you MIGHT be able to get this working, just need the VCD help.

I wanted to get this on my 2015 Premium, however you need to calibrate if you don't have any of the systems. Radar and proximity sensors (I think 8 of them) are needed as they work in conjunction. Not 100% sure if the windshield camera is needed, but I would suspect so, as its part of the lane keep assist.

Last edited by mroberte; 01-04-2017 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jerry Solomon
Here is the radar module already present on the front of my car--looks like the same one as for the ACC model..

I think the ones with ACC have a sphere vs flat like you posted.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by S4cruiser
I think the ones with ACC have a sphere vs flat like you posted.

Like this.

Quick Reply: Adding ACC (adapgtive Cruise Control) to a 2017 A3