Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Advice: A3 2.0T Prestige with Advanced Tech Package or S3 Prestige w/o Tech Package?

Old 02-25-2015, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fairfax 4.0T
I had the front radar/advance tech package on my 2013 S6. Driving around the suburbs of Washington DC, the front radar made the cruise control useless and dangerous. On the DC beltway, people change lanes all of the time in front of you. They are going faster than you, and it's not a big deal. However, if your cruise control is engaged, the car slams on its brakes, making it dangerous and annoying for the guy behind you.

One of the reasons I sold the S6 was because I hated how intrusive the the radar based cruise control was, even with the following distance set to the minimum. It was not possible to turn off the radar for the cruise control, and operate it like a standard cruise control.
Wow is it that bad? I have ACC on my new S3 and i have not experienced that yet but i am always very cautious about that may happenning. So when ACC engages brakes (or slams as you state) do u feel like you slammed the brakes? Damn i really hope it is not that bad. And at what distance does it normally happen? Thx man. I really appreciate you letting us know.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never thought I'd see this question. If money is no object, go S3. There is no way I'd let the Adv Tech Package outweigh that sweet sweet engine.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
I understand what you are saying and experienced. One workaround to this problem is lightly touching the accelerator when you see this event occurring. You are overriding the ACC and the vehicle will not react. Once the as**ole is out of distance, take your foot off the accelerator and the ACC will resume to normal.
Yep, that works. But, another issue was that the cruise also applied the brakes when coasting down the help to keep you from exceeding the set speed. I'm a big boy, and don't want the car braking when I'm going down a hill. I didn't know of a fix for that, besides touching the accelerator pedal, which I didn't want to do when going down a hill.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by drober30
Excluding frontal collision warning.

None of us are perfect and I love this feature. Also adds additional safety features to the pre sense basic.

No offense was meant. Sorry.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If money was no object, I'd wait to the RS3, or better yet if I was a big timer Billionaire, I'd rub Audi's exec back to sell me a production A3 Clubsport Quattro Concept.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mikele
No offense was meant. Sorry.
I probably worded my response wrong and can see how you might have read it as me being offended but I assure you I wasn't.

Just wanted to point out the feature is useful to everyone because any of us could screw up at any given time.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by drober30
I probably worded my response wrong and can see how you might have read it as me being offended but I assure you I wasn't.

Just wanted to point out the feature is useful to everyone because any of us could screw up at any given time.
We all get along pretty well here and unlike a lot of other internet forums, we treat each other with respect. It's refreshing.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gamegenie
If money was no object, I'd wait to the RS3, or better yet if I was a big timer Billionaire, I'd rub Audi's exec back to sell me a production A3 Clubsport Quattro Concept.
While I agree on the RS3, we won't see that until 2016 in the US and the OP said he just totaled his car and needs on ASAP
Old 02-25-2015, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by salvadorik
Wow is it that bad? I have ACC on my new S3 and i have not experienced that yet but i am always very cautious about that may happenning. So when ACC engages brakes (or slams as you state) do u feel like you slammed the brakes? Damn i really hope it is not that bad. And at what distance does it normally happen? Thx man. I really appreciate you letting us know.
In my 2013 S6, it was annoying when a car was crossing 2 lanes of traffic on the highway in front of me. Don't remember the distance. The computer in the car is programmed to be cautious. It does not know that the intruding car is just passing through as it crosses a couple of lanes and that it won't cause any problems. I really wish that Audi let you turn it off for driving around cities.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I specifically wanted an A3 without that stuff. I wanted something closer to a pure sport sedan. I don't want cameras looking at white stripes on the road, side looking radar, etc.

The A3 has enough data processing in it for me with MMI and the DSG. So given a choice between A3 Prestige with Tech or S3 Prestige w/o Tech I would easily choose the S3.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice: A3 2.0T Prestige with Advanced Tech Package or S3 Prestige w/o Tech Package?