Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Air coming into the cabin - Not properly filtered?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 12:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air coming into the cabin - Not properly filtered?

So I came from a 2013 GLI to an 2016 A3 prestige. Driving on identical routes in similar conditions (volume of cars, location, distance to the forward car, etc.) I am noticing the smell of other car's exhaust coming into my cabin much more. In the GLI, I used to be able to leave the ventilation on to acquire air from outside without much trouble on the highways unless the vehicle in front of me is a diesel truck or another car shooting out visible smoke... Now in the A3, I feel like I always need to hit the internal flow only button to keep it from ingesting outside air.

I'm thinking this might be the cabin air filter issue. If the OEM part does not do a good job in filtering air, does anyone have any recommendations for one that works much better?
Old 12-01-2015, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In all my current or recent cars and SUVs, exhaust smells always seem to leach into the cabin unless the recirculate button/feature is used. Our current cars are an S3 and 2013 Subaru Tribeca. My wife drives her Subie with the recirculate function constantly. I generally leave my S3 in auto climate mode and don't notice many foul odors. Assume it goes to recirculate mode as necessary. Based on my experience, I'd say the GLI was an exception in being able to filter the air so well venting the air directly from the outside.

Think the cabin filters are more to trap particulates like dust and pollen. Not necessarily to totally eliminate smells. Bet there are aftermarket filters which might work better however. Has to be a common VW/Audi size.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Audi (not sure about VW) uses two types of filters, single stage (mostly a particle filter) and one with carbon layer for odors. I'll look around for the part numbers, but it's an easy upgrade.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Ok, plot flaw... looks like the only part number I can find is for the charcoal one 5Q0819653, its the same part number for single and dual climate control.

Still looking,

But found this, maybe a non-charcoal?

5Q0-819-644-A

Maybe a part genius can help... point being, in the past at least, there's been single stage and charcoal for the same application.

Last edited by arU4ic; 12-01-2015 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks guys for responding. I've also been able to find only one part number 5Q0819653. ECS tuning website shows multiple options for this part (https://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-A3_8V...rch/Cabin_Air/) but the OEM genuine VW/Audi part also seems to be charcoal lined according to that page?

Do we know which of the ones listed performs better than the OEM part?

Or, is there a completely different part number I should be looking for?

At this point, I would pay TOP dollar to reduce the odor. I have to believe this is possible hopefully with 8V/MQB cars on A3... given how it was totally a non-issue with same driving pattern and routes in a 2013 GLI.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SeanMVCA9
So I came from a 2013 GLI to an 2016 A3 prestige. Driving on identical routes in similar conditions (volume of cars, location, distance to the forward car, etc.) I am noticing the smell of other car's exhaust coming into my cabin much more. In the GLI, I used to be able to leave the ventilation on to acquire air from outside without much trouble on the highways unless the vehicle in front of me is a diesel truck or another car shooting out visible smoke... Now in the A3, I feel like I always need to hit the internal flow only button to keep it from ingesting outside air.

I'm thinking this might be the cabin air filter issue. If the OEM part does not do a good job in filtering air, does anyone have any recommendations for one that works much better?
I'm not at a3 or any other Audi expert. My interpretation of the air filter is that it filters particulate matter more than odoriferous matter. Check your car setting in mmi and see if there is an adjustment for fresh and recirc air.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SeanMVCA9
Thanks guys for responding. I've also been able to find only one part number 5Q0819653. ECS tuning website shows multiple options for this part (https://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-A3_8V...rch/Cabin_Air/) but the OEM genuine VW/Audi part also seems to be charcoal lined according to that page?

Do we know which of the ones listed performs better than the OEM part?

Or, is there a completely different part number I should be looking for?

At this point, I would pay TOP dollar to reduce the odor. I have to believe this is possible hopefully with 8V/MQB cars on A3... given how it was totally a non-issue with same driving pattern and routes in a 2013 GLI.
I would go third party, Bosch or K&N
Old 12-04-2015, 03:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Yeah, I'd try to track down the charcoal filter for it, if available.

FRAM makes one called "Fresh Breeze". I've got one in my A4 now. Can't say I notice a difference but the car seems to be getting less dusty inside compared to the cheapie filter in there before.

Does the A3 have the "Auto Recirc" function in the MMI? That's supposed to control pollutants entering the cabin.