Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Another new to German engineering question:

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another new to German engineering question:

Where is the oil filter located on the S3? I seen pictures that show the oil filter on top of the engine as opposed to the bottom on U.S. cars I have worked on.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Don't try to change your own oil. The oil is pumped out, not drained like most cars. The oil plug that is at the bottom of the pan is a one time use plug. Once it comes out, it can't be put back in.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Indigo4298
Don't try to change your own oil. The oil is pumped out, not drained like most cars. The oil plug that is at the bottom of the pan is a one time use plug. Once it comes out, it can't be put back in.
I'm sure I can change my own oil once I understand the procedure. I heard the oil plug on the bottom was a plastic one time use so I'm sure they sell replacements. I also followed topics on pumping out the oil which seems to be a fast, no mess way to change the oil.

Still need to know if there is an "upside down" filter on the top of the S3 engine.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes there is an upside down filter, see this picture here: http://autosaddict.com/wp-content/up...-S3-Engine.jpg

Just below and to the right of the dipstick you can see the filter peeking out.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see where replacement aluminum filter covers are available for the plastic stock covers. This would seem to imply that some people are doing their own oil changes. I was going to check into this actually as I just had my 5000 mile initial service completed beginning of this week. Oil changed and all the checks. Next service and oil change is 10,000 miles out now. I'm not sure if I feel comfortable going 10,000 miles between oil changes. Thought of simply doing it myself at 5000 mark then again when Audi services the car. I know Audi uses a great Castrol synthetic but I've never had a car go 10K miles between changes before.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Does oil pour out or only drip out of the filter when you remove it? The U.S cars that I have worked on, have a decent amount of oil that flows out over the sides when you loosen it up to remove it.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hope you guys can shed some light for me.

I had my car service at an independent shop at 3000km. He told me he drained the oil from the bottom and realized it was pumped out instead. It was the first time he worked on a S3. I didn't think too much of it at the time but seeing this thread and the one time use plug has me a bit worried.

I guess he somehow managed to plug it back in and I haven't noticed any oil leakage. I have since brought my car to the dealer for its first official oil change and they didn't mention anything about it either.

Should I be worried?
Old 02-12-2015, 10:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

An upside down oil filter is hardly unusual. All Honda V6s have upside down oil filters.

I am a new A3 owner, and after the 5K service, I am planning to DIY my oil changes. I have a pump that I have used for other cars. So maybe I am almost ready now. One thing I noticed is that there are almost no filters available for the 2.0 now.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Hoffdano
An upside down oil filter is hardly unusual. All Honda V6s have upside down oil filters.

I am a new A3 owner, and after the 5K service, I am planning to DIY my oil changes. I have a pump that I have used for other cars. So maybe I am almost ready now. One thing I noticed is that there are almost no filters available for the 2.0 now.
Does the oil flow out upon removal and make a mess or is the filter pretty much dry due to gravity drain?
Old 02-12-2015, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by OOOO S3
Hope you guys can shed some light for me.

I had my car service at an independent shop at 3000km. He told me he drained the oil from the bottom and realized it was pumped out instead. It was the first time he worked on a S3. I didn't think too much of it at the time but seeing this thread and the one time use plug has me a bit worried.

I guess he somehow managed to plug it back in and I haven't noticed any oil leakage. I have since brought my car to the dealer for its first official oil change and they didn't mention anything about it either.

Should I be worried?
I would check it out... your dealer may have pumped the oil out, not even looking at your drain plug. Who knows what the other guy did?

They may call it one time use but maybe it threads in and seals but its not recommended?

Either way, I would check it out for piece of mind.

Quick Reply: Another new to German engineering question: