Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Another new to German engineering question:

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 10:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drober30
I would check it out... your dealer may have pumped the oil out, not even looking at your drain plug. Who knows what the other guy did?

They may call it one time use but maybe it threads in and seals but its not recommended?

Either way, I would check it out for piece of mind.
I'm not a handyman so I wouldn't even know where to begin.... I could jack the car up and look but I wouldn't know what to look for.

Any advice?
Old 02-13-2015, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

The engine is engineered to go that long between changes, even longer in my personal experience. It may take some getting used to going from a 3k mile service interval to a 10k mile interval but if it couldn't then Audi, VW and all these manufacturers would be facing lawsuits from engine damage due to inadequate oil. The 3k mile service is an oil company marketing ploy to drive sales.

As for filters, with these newer engines the housing is not replaceable, however, you can buy metal ones that claim to be more durable. Note though, the actual filter element is what is changed. That along with the o-ring. Likewise the drain plug.

Oh and ALWAYS use a synthetic oil not conventional or a blend.

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
I see where replacement aluminum filter covers are available for the plastic stock covers. This would seem to imply that some people are doing their own oil changes. I was going to check into this actually as I just had my 5000 mile initial service completed beginning of this week. Oil changed and all the checks. Next service and oil change is 10,000 miles out now. I'm not sure if I feel comfortable going 10,000 miles between oil changes. Thought of simply doing it myself at 5000 mark then again when Audi services the car. I know Audi uses a great Castrol synthetic but I've never had a car go 10K miles between changes before.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I replaced my 2000 honda accord with an A3. I changed the oil every 7500 miles as specified in the manual, with a synthetic blend. When I sold it on it had 160,000+miles on it and ran perfectly. If Honda could go 7500 back in 2000 I dont see it as much of a leap for current engines to go 10,000 on full synthetic. As a matter of fact my wifes Odyssey went over 10,000 before the oil minder told us to change it the first time. I changed it at 8500 the second time but only because we were leaving for a 3000+ mile road trip.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by drober30
Does the oil flow out upon removal and make a mess or is the filter pretty much dry due to gravity drain?
I have two Honda V6 vehicles. After the oil is drained (I actually use a pump) I put the drain pain under the filter. Then I loosen it a few turns, and some oil still drains out. I unscrew it completely and turn it over to finish draining. With gloves I stay reasonably clean.

A bit messy, but not as bad as cars with cartridge filters. Dang I hate those.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rabbiTT
The engine is engineered to go that long between changes, even longer in my personal experience. It may take some getting used to going from a 3k mile service interval to a 10k mile interval but if it couldn't then Audi, VW and all these manufacturers would be facing lawsuits from engine damage due to inadequate oil. The 3k mile service is an oil company marketing ploy to drive sales.
Depends on how the vehicle is driven(and the car). Personally I'd never let the oil stay in there for 10k. Without doing an oil analysis, you can't just say as a general statement that 10k is the oil service intervals for all cars. My Mitsubishi EVO X service manual had different oil change service intervals depending on how it's driven. The oil change intervals ranged from 3kmiles-7.5k miles. 10k wasn't a recommended oil change service interval.

My personal experience is that past 7.5k miles the oil should be changed. My old 2001 BMW had 12k mile oil change intervals. At 9k I was begging them to change the oil. The oil had been black and awful looking from 6k miles (added a quart then). at 9k I added another quart. So I had the remains of 2 quarts worth of burnt oil in my engine and they wanted me to drive around for another 3k miles like that. I changed the oil on that BMW at 9K once (couldn't wait) and the oil looked awful.

Last edited by Spoonie G; 02-16-2015 at 06:58 AM.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just an FYI. Visited my usual WalMart last week. They had both Castrol Edge 0W40 and Mobil1 0W40 ("European Car") in 5 qt jugs. Both had VW502.00 listed under the certifications. About $25.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the OP, changing the oil in a new A3\S3 is cake. Just normal oil change procedure. If you are changing the oil yourself and are going to use the Audi original filter you might as well pick up some new drain plugs. Its just part of doing business, I can't imagine the drain plugs being to expensive.

JustDriveIt!
Old 02-17-2015, 11:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Also the S3 calls for Castrol Slx professional 5w30, with an interval of 10k miles, no need to get crazy with the oil change intervals. On a stock motor of course, if you modify that's a different story of course.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JustDriveIt!
. If you are changing the oil yourself and are going to use the Audi original filter you might as well pick up some new drain plugs.

JustDriveIt!

I heard that the drain plug is a one time use and needs to be replaced but what do you mean by "and are going to use the Audi original filter"?

From what I have read, I think there is a paper filter inside a housing and I just need to replace that paper filter?

I don't think anyone answered how much oil comes out of the "upside down" filter?
Old 02-17-2015, 12:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The car uses a paper cartridge filter, not 100% sure but I think the part number is 06L 115 562, if you are.doing the oil change you are going to replace this element as well.
As for your question about how much oil comes out, if you are draining your oil from the bottom just loosen the filter cap. You will hear and sometimes feel the oil draining back into the block. If you just unscrew the cap and yank the filter off you will have a little mess on your hands.

JustDriveIt!

Quick Reply: Another new to German engineering question: