Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Anyone else disappointed with the 2.0T lack of top end grunt?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 12:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone else disappointed with the 2.0T lack of top end grunt?

I came from Honda and would have to wring the engine like crazy to get power and knew exactly where the most of the power was - the upper revs.

Now in the Audi, when on the highway I step on the gas and it feels fairly gutless to me when trying to pass, etc.

I've been waiting to get the Burger Motorsport plug in adapter to increase the HP, but does it help with top end power? The engine is really gutsy down low (second gear especially) but then it complete loses its fire after that to me.

Does any bolt-on's make a difference, air intakes? I really don't want to put a new exhaust as I like it being fairly quiet, just would like the power to be delivered better I guess.

Thoughts, suggestions?
Old 12-18-2014, 02:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mroberte
I came from Honda and would have to wring the engine like crazy to get power and knew exactly where the most of the power was - the upper revs.

Now in the Audi, when on the highway I step on the gas and it feels fairly gutless to me when trying to pass, etc.

I've been waiting to get the Burger Motorsport plug in adapter to increase the HP, but does it help with top end power? The engine is really gutsy down low (second gear especially) but then it complete loses its fire after that to me.

Does any bolt-on's make a difference, air intakes? I really don't want to put a new exhaust as I like it being fairly quiet, just would like the power to be delivered better I guess.

Thoughts, suggestions?
I'm not disappointed.

I've been driving this car in auto drive select since I got it, and just recently tried dynamic drive select, and that mode gives my car new life.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:43 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I think what you're actually feeling is not so much that it lacks on top, but rather that the Honda lacks everywhere BUT on top. The turbo engines make such nice fat torque that they FEEL softer on top, but in reality, it's just that the curve begins so early, that the difference between MAX power and low end power just isn't as dramatic.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I came from Honda and would have to wring the engine like crazy to get power and knew exactly where the most of the power was - the upper revs. Now in the Audi, when on the highway I step on the gas and it feels fairly gutless to me when trying to pass, etc......Thoughts, suggestions?
I have the same 2.0 in a much heavier 2013 A6 with Quattro with the 8-speed Tiptronic. In what is a slower car than the A3, I feel the 2.0 engine is adequate for my needs. I seldom exceed 75 and up to that point the car is pretty good in accelerating say from 45 to 75. It is very smooth and the Tiptronic's downshifts to me are barely perceptible; I think the 8 speeds help and to me Tiptronic gets a bad rap as a “slush box” – but that’s another topic completely - lol. The smoothness of the 2.0 A6 as it steps out almost numbs the mind.
I wonder if maybe you are being fooled by the lack of commotion and visceral sounds in the Audi's engine/transmission (you have the DSG) compared to your previous cars. I can whip right by my friend in his hotted-up Honda Fit, but when I ride with him it feels so much more like a fast car than my "limo-like" A6. Just a thought to consider.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thoughts, suggestions?
I must say I feel the opposite of you. I feel like this car has pretty good top end power. My last car was a Porsche 911 and I feel like this car would have no ideas keeping up with that car.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thoughts, suggestions?
If you are looking for a more balanced power delivery, possibly a ecu tune would provide you with that. Keep in mind, it will void your warranty.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I have the same 2.0 in a much heavier 2013 A6 with Quattro with the 8-speed Tiptronic. In what is a slower car than the A3, I feel the 2.0 engine is adequate for my needs. I seldom exceed 75 and up to that point the car is pretty good in accelerating say from 45 to 75. It is very smooth and the Tiptronic's downshifts to me are barely perceptible; I think the 8 speeds help and to me Tiptronic gets a bad rap as a “slush box” – but that’s another topic completely - lol. The smoothness of the 2.0 A6 as it steps out almost numbs the mind.
I wonder if maybe you are being fooled by the lack of commotion and visceral sounds in the Audi's engine/transmission (you have the DSG) compared to your previous cars. I can whip right by my friend in his hotted-up Honda Fit, but when I ride with him it feels so much more like a fast car than my "limo-like" A6. Just a thought to consider.
That might be exactly it. The car is so quiet when revving the car that I just am mentally missing the engine roar. My last Acura, you heard EVERYTHING. I wonder if I could somehow get the Ross-tech VAg thing to pipe in some noise. Going to rent one this weekend so maybe I can find some setting and hopefully don't mess anything up. I guess I will want to get some type of exhaust so I mentally can feel like there is enough power.

I do want to hear the blow off and I think an intake would help too.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thoughts, suggestions?
Don't rev it out, shift sooner and let the Turbo create the torque rather than the revs. That might be what you're not used to.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

That might be exactly it. The car is so quiet when revving the car that I just am mentally missing the engine roar. My last Acura, you heard EVERYTHING. I wonder if I could somehow get the Ross-tech VAg thing to pipe in some noise. Going to rent one this weekend so maybe I can find some setting and hopefully don't mess anything up. I guess I will want to get some type of exhaust so I mentally can feel like there is enough power.

I do want to hear the blow off and I think an intake would help too.
Maybe should get one of those high performance car sounds DVD's or USB devices that replicate the sounds of a 911 Turbo (or whatever you prefer) and play it as you drive. I have seen and listened to them at Lime Rock racetrack at the concession stands along the midway - pretty neat. Someone told me you can get ones that match the rpm of your engine - though I don't really know about that. Kind of like in the old days downhill skiers would play their favorite pulsing rock tracks on a SONY Walkman as they swept down some mega-diamond trail - lol
Old 12-19-2014, 11:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

^^LOL Noted!

I think I'll get the ECU plugin tune when available and the intake and call it a day. I think that will help me hear the car more. The torque just dies off a lot to me after 70MPH and in bay area CA traffic, you are usually driving faster than this to keep up.

Quick Reply: Anyone else disappointed with the 2.0T lack of top end grunt?