Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto - Why Hyundai can but Audi can't?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Apple CarPlay and Android Auto - Why Hyundai can but Audi can't?

Hi there my fellow A/S3 8V owners. I don't really want to post another rant but I hate to see when mainstream auto brands such Hyundai can retrospectively have their vehicle update with the latest Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. 2017 A/S3 will have that piece of tech so why cant Audi update our 2015/16 MY ones? I am sure the hardware is enough to run it well. Oh well perhaps I want too much Happy Memorial Day!
Here is the link for Hyundai:
http://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/hyundai-releases-diy-update-kit-for-android-auto-and-apple-carplay/
Old 05-27-2016, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Although, nothing has been announced yet, I wouldn't rule out that there won't be an update at some point. The whole MIB2 platform is supposed to be upgradable, but we haven't seen any movement on that front yet from Audi to actually offer an upgrade program to existing customers. There are some signs, though, for example Audi recently released a modem upgrade for the older MMI 3G+ to upgrade the system to AT&T. I just got it done last week and signed up for an AT&T subscription. You guys already get map updates delivered through myAudi, so I wouldn't rule it out just yet that there might be a software update to add Android Auto and Apple CarPlay at one point.

I've gotta say, though, after having had several days of seat time in a 2017 A4 with virtual cockpit and having tried Apple Car Play, I wouldn't pay for this garbage. Android Auto is more promising, especially with what's been announced at Google I/O, although, that stuff is still a while out and Android is a mess, but Apple CarPlay is utter garbage and looks like a joke next to the virtual cockpit and all the new stuff that the latest MMI offers.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

The whole purpose of Apple CarPlay for me is to be able to communicate to my cell while having my hands on the wheel. For example I want to have Siri read and reply my text messages, read some of my emails and perhaps even respond to them, to process google searches and read the found information back to me etc. So mainly using Siri to perform many important functions. Unfortunately however advanced Audi's new MMi is its voice recognition software cant do those tasks as well as Siri. As for other CarPlay functions I am not sure if I ever need them.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You only need Siri Eyes Free for that. CarPlay requires the phone to be plugged in, whereas Siri Eyes Free works over Bluetooth. Long press of the voice button on the steering wheel activates Siri. I do use Siri in my car by simply reaching down and holding the home button on the phone. Not quite as convenient, but it works just as well, however, I know that Siri doesn't work in the A3/S3 at all, so I understand where you are coming from.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Although, nothing has been announced yet, I wouldn't rule out that there won't be an update at some point. The whole MIB2 platform is supposed to be upgradable, but we haven't seen any movement on that front yet from Audi to actually offer an upgrade program to existing customers. There are some signs, though, for example Audi recently released a modem upgrade for the older MMI 3G+ to upgrade the system to AT&T. I just got it done last week and signed up for an AT&T subscription. You guys already get map updates delivered through myAudi, so I wouldn't rule it out just yet that there might be a software update to add Android Auto and Apple CarPlay at one point.

I've gotta say, though, after having had several days of seat time in a 2017 A4 with virtual cockpit and having tried Apple Car Play, I wouldn't pay for this garbage. Android Auto is more promising, especially with what's been announced at Google I/O, although, that stuff is still a while out and Android is a mess, but Apple CarPlay is utter garbage and looks like a joke next to the virtual cockpit and all the new stuff that the latest MMI offers.
I agree with you that the whole point of our MMI system was to support future hardware upgrade by using cards inside the system that enables the car to keep pace with technology. I could post the slashgear video with the audi engineer again, but to sum it up, it was designed for the hardware to be upgraded. Whether they actually will is another story, but by god they better.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think what Audi meant by having upgradable system is that the customers don't have to wait until the next generation or facelift is introduced. Simply next model year of the current generation might incorporate the new tech. As far as the customers with the current gen and model year vehicles Audi wont upgrade them. I just see no reason to believe AOA will make such a decision. I would be happy to pay them for that but even so I am not entirely optimistic.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

According to Audi, it should. I do see your point though.

From Audi (starting 25 seconds in)

Also this...
Old 06-03-2016, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by salvadorik
I think what Audi meant by having upgradable system is that the customers don't have to wait until the next generation or facelift is introduced. Simply next model year of the current generation might incorporate the new tech. As far as the customers with the current gen and model year vehicles Audi wont upgrade them. I just see no reason to believe AOA will make such a decision. I would be happy to pay them for that but even so I am not entirely optimistic.
Correct, that's what it's mainly about. Audi can keep pace with the latest technology every model year, as opposed to only refresh it at the mid-cycle refresh and when an all-new model comes out. If you listen carefully to the guy in the video above he is talking about how future A3s will get the latest technology. However, they haven't even lived up to that. The technology in the A3 hadn't been updated until the facelift, So far this is all just talk and no action. Perhaps once they actually do update the technology on an annual basis, then maybe customers will be able to take their cars to the dealership and have the system upgraded as well, but so far Audi is not even updating the technology outside the mid-cycle refresh and all-new models.

Last edited by superswiss; 06-03-2016 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yeah, I agree. Like you said, just because the module can be upgraded, it doesn't mean they will do it for our existing vehicles. Really all I am doing is hoping they will do it. While they're at it, I'd like them to fix the MMI wheel rotation. One year in and I still think it's backwards.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

They changed the wheel rotation for the 2017 A4 and Q7 and it's probably changed on the facelift A3. Not sure what's wrong with the current rotation. Works just fine for me, but now every time I get into a newer car my muscle memory is all confused. I don't think there's a right way and a wrong way, there's just the one way you have to learn. Not sure why they are changing it now.

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay and Android Auto - Why Hyundai can but Audi can't?