Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Apr tuning released for s3!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apr tuning released for s3!

link

Last edited by EGainer; 03-23-2015 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Wow... Sounds great.

I know folks who would get this wouldn't care, but I wonder what effect if any would be on MPG.

I never had a APR tuning, but the website says that it can be reversed. So it could be reversed before bringing vehicle to Audi for service to avoid Audi computer detection.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Awesome Im ordering it tomorrow! I spoke with my AWE rep today and the down pipe and exhaust should be available in the next couple days! Let the real mods begin......
Old 03-23-2015, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah. Finally long waited mod is available now. APR says that ECU mod reduces throttle lag. If APR in fact can substantially reduce this annoying hesitation then for this reason alone it is worth getthing their ECU.
I will wait till i am done with 5K service. I am very excited!
Old 03-23-2015, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A tune will void your engine and possible transmission warranty. Audi will detect the software has been altered and flag your car with a TD1 code to be seen by all Audi dealers. This has been discussed over and over again and there isn't much you can't do about it.

Even if you switch to stock mode, they can tell the software has been altered.

Caveat emptor
Old 03-23-2015, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hilld
A tune will void your engine and possible transmission warranty. Audi will detect the software has been altered and flag your car with a TD1 code to be seen by all Audi dealers. This has been discussed over and over again and there isn't much you can't do about it.

Even if you switch to stock mode, they can tell the software has been altered.

Caveat emptor
Pls lets stop this paranoia. Everyone here knows TD1. Members here are grown up adults who are very well aware of the consequences of this type of mods.

By the way, I had my A6 C7 flashed by APR tune. I drove it for a while. I flashes back to stock and nobody noticed it.

It is a personal decision and I believe it well worth going this route. The gains are substantial and it is one of the main reason why purchased an Audi, because this make has a lot of aftermarket support. No need to get intimidated by TD1.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's not paranoia because it can and will happen to some people who tune. It's informative at the least, but I agree that if you're going to even consider a mod of this nature, that the caveat of having to "pay to play" down the road as well as up front should be apparent. Whether you have the funds to rebuild your engine or fight Audi in court to have them prove the tune blew up your powertrain, either way one should be prepared for that eventuality when going this route.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Fair enough. I just wanted to say, let's not make it sound as if Audi is going investigate a murder case everytime an ower visits audi service. TD1 is real but there are ways avoid it. Number 1 - just don't have a car serviced at dealer. Many owers use indi shops. If something catastrophic happens, which is unlikely, then flash it back to stock and bring a car to a dealer. Let them prove what the cause was.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am certainly not trying to create paranoia as you mentioned, however, I just want to make sure that people new to the brand know about this potential issue. Tuners such as APR, GIAC, Revo conveniently don't inform you of this possibility in all of their marketing materials.

Personally, I don't blame VAG for taking this approach, the engine and transmission were designed with a particular power level in mind, exceeding these power levels can shorten the life of the components and even cause catastrophic failures. If I was them, I certainly wouldn't want to pay for uses beyond the design and build.

You just hear a lot of stories where people complain that Audi has turned them down for warranty repairs when the customer altered the vehicle beyond the design.

Just remember, you pay to play and most of us like to play hard.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Better mpg above 2500 rpm?

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
Wow... Sounds great.

I know folks who would get this wouldn't care, but I wonder what effect if any would be on MPG.

I never had a APR tuning, but the website says that it can be reversed. So it could be reversed before bringing vehicle to Audi for service to avoid Audi computer detection.
The torque curve is favorable for rpms above 2500. Better torque at same rpm may imply better mpg with same engine.

Quick Reply: Apr tuning released for s3!