Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Apr tuning released for s3!

Old 03-24-2015, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an apr Base tune map...and have since had some mapping tweaks, along with other work done. Had the DSG remapped and tweaked. The new K04 turbo in this set up changed everything. The outside of the car looks stock..kinda sounds like stock...until i open it up hard...365 hp, and 385 torque....all strong from 1800 rpm up to redline. When I've used launch control to take off....too watch a little four door hatch back make a Mustang look silly..lol! The shifts are sharp and crisp. So....for those going this route...or even just a tune only....words of advice....
1- most amateurs dont even consider the engine mounts. You will have to replace them. The factory mounts will barely hold and last as it is. Once the motor starts moving more than a half inch...the strain on the trans, exhaust, and so fourth stress and fatigue the connection points.
2- keep your turbo maintained...even more so now.
3-keep a high pressure fuel pump handy, and a spare control valve. Those seem to be the weakest points in the system.
The new round of software does detect reflashes. Similar systems going into BMW. Audi's scan tools can read info from points within the system from data logs too. They can easily see your average boost psi has been operating"outside normal parameters".
Old 03-24-2015, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smooth 1
I have an apr Base tune map...and have since had some mapping tweaks, along with other work done. Had the DSG remapped and tweaked. The new K04 turbo in this set up changed everything. The outside of the car looks stock..kinda sounds like stock...until i open it up hard...365 hp, and 385 torque....all strong from 1800 rpm up to redline. When I've used launch control to take off....too watch a little four door hatch back make a Mustang look silly..lol! The shifts are sharp and crisp. So....for those going this route...or even just a tune only....words of advice....
1- most amateurs dont even consider the engine mounts. You will have to replace them. The factory mounts will barely hold and last as it is. Once the motor starts moving more than a half inch...the strain on the trans, exhaust, and so fourth stress and fatigue the connection points.
2- keep your turbo maintained...even more so now.
3-keep a high pressure fuel pump handy, and a spare control valve. Those seem to be the weakest points in the system.
The new round of software does detect reflashes. Similar systems going into BMW. Audi's scan tools can read info from points within the system from data logs too. They can easily see your average boost psi has been operating"outside normal parameters".
Thanks for this information. I was under impression that we you flash ECU back to stock all data log gets erased basically the history of higher than specs boosts and other parameters starts logging into the system from the time you flashed back to stock. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by salvadorik
Thanks for this information. I was under impression that we you flash ECU back to stock all data log gets erased basically the history of higher than specs boosts and other parameters starts logging into the system from the time you flashed back to stock. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Audi can absolutely detect any tune now.
Audi is now using ODIS, it's an offboard diagnostic system. And they have incorporated a "flash and reflash counter", along with a black box data log that cannot be erased or reflashed. Any tune that is uploaded through the ODB plug, will be counted and logged. They cannot reset that counter anymore. As of 2015...The general agreement now is...once you flash..theres no going back. Once AOA discovers a retune, drivetrain/ fuel parts of the warranty are voided. Then it's flagged in the system and any AOA service dept. will see it right away.

Here's a screen shot of the new ODIS

Address 01: Engine
Control Module Part Number: 8T0 907 560 J
Component and/or Version: 3.0l V6/4V H10 0004
Software Coding: 01140003180F0020
Work Shop Code: WSC 06325
VCID: 4189A386D829C716DBD-9016

Advanced Identification
Identification: BPG-810
Revision: 76H10---
Date: 03.04.09
Manufacturer number: 1329
Test stand number: 0677
Flash Status 2
Programming Attempts(application): 6
Successful Attempts(application): 6
Programming Status: 01002010221
Flash Tool Code: 31151 211 266450
Misc.
Hardware number: 8T0 907 560
Workshop System Name: J623
Car Info
Chassis Number: WAUZZZ8T0AA0
Engine code: CAUA

Programming attempts, successful attempts, Program status, are no longer active fields. They are like read me files now only. Also they can now even detect what tool you used to reflash with.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Smooth 1, thank you for this info. For the faint of heart, no tune for us. Turbochargers are too expensive and I expect even with a stock S3 they may need replacement during warranty period. Now I will just enjoy what the stock S3 offers, including trying to enjoy it even more with the knowledge that my warranty is still in effect.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You could go with a piggyback such as the Neuspeed Power Module. I'm thinking of going this way for now. Not as much power gain from a full on tune but, its respectable and half the price.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Arent you guys worried that doing an ECU flash to the car it will also damage faster the clutch or engine itself?

Just by doing stage 1 of APR (which Im thinking) it gets me worried that in one year or two I will have to repair or change something in the car bc the new ECU pushed the car to hard...
Old 03-26-2015, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Audi can absolutely detect any tune now.
Audi is now using ODIS, it's an offboard diagnostic system. And they have incorporated a "flash and reflash counter", along with a black box data log that cannot be erased or reflashed. Any tune that is uploaded through the ODB plug, will be counted and logged. They cannot reset that counter anymore. As of 2015...The general agreement now is...once you flash..theres no going back. Once AOA discovers a retune, drivetrain/ fuel parts of the warranty are voided. Then it's flagged in the system and any AOA service dept. will see it right away.

Here's a screen shot of the new ODIS

Address 01: Engine
Control Module Part Number: 8T0 907 560 J
Component and/or Version: 3.0l V6/4V H10 0004
Software Coding: 01140003180F0020
Work Shop Code: WSC 06325
VCID: 4189A386D829C716DBD-9016

Advanced Identification
Identification: BPG-810
Revision: 76H10---
Date: 03.04.09
Manufacturer number: 1329
Test stand number: 0677
Flash Status 2
Programming Attempts(application): 6
Successful Attempts(application): 6
Programming Status: 01002010221
Flash Tool Code: 31151 211 266450
Misc.
Hardware number: 8T0 907 560
Workshop System Name: J623
Car Info
Chassis Number: WAUZZZ8T0AA0
Engine code: CAUA

Programming attempts, successful attempts, Program status, are no longer active fields. They are like read me files now only. Also they can now even detect what tool you used to reflash with.
Thanks a lot for this information. Now please kindly inform us, do you work for Audi of America? lol
Old 03-27-2015, 08:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Audi can absolutely detect any tune now..... along with a black box data log that cannot be erased or reflashed.
In all the time I've spent looking at these tunes going back 15 years I have NEVER seen a verifiable answer. I have always wanted to do the APR tune, but never have because of the uncertainty. When you use terms like "cannot be erased" its a mater of time until someone is going to get in there and erase it. Then its a mater of time until Audi closes the hole. If I where APR I wouldn't be saying "Yea, we figured that out, they cant see anything when you flash back to stock."
Old 03-27-2015, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sgt_cr
Arent you guys worried that doing an ECU flash to the car it will also damage faster the clutch or engine itself?

Just by doing stage 1 of APR (which Im thinking) it gets me worried that in one year or two I will have to repair or change something in the car bc the new ECU pushed the car to hard...
The ECU doesn't push the car hard, the driver does and ECU allows it to happen.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Kevin70
The ECU doesn't push the car hard, the driver does and ECU allows it to happen.
Outstanding response! You can still flash your ECU and have a reliable car if used WOT occasionally.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Apr tuning released for s3!