Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Apr tuning released for s3!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in a very irritable mood when I replied before. I reread it and I apologize. It just pointed out the very problem Audi is dealing with, and why they have to take the steps they do.

I have a 2012 A3. I looked everywhere for the right car. 2 months before the warranty period was to expire I brought it to Audi and explained what I wanted to do. They brought it into service and went over the vehicle. After 2 days in, they provided me a list of suggested upgrades and solutions to help me achieve what I wanted. They even helped me track down some of the parts. Over the next 8 months, as I accomplished the work, the entire service team become a fan of the car. So, I guess I get a little sensitive when I see people who consider themselves honest, good people, lying and basically committing fraud. Especially when you really dont have too.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Not trying to flame anyone in this discussion, but this S3 owner just blew his turbo. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud.../#post24673136

Guess it can happen to anyone. Hypothetically assuming this person had a tune, it would be tough having a blown turbo, have Audi service department computer search vehicle for parameters, throw a TD1 flag and then not have the turbo covered under warranty.

So I am just throwing it out there that I have noted that the turbocharger may be a weak link on the S3 and tuning would create an out of warranty risk.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

I thought he bought a CPO A3? I also thought the S3 had an upgraded turbo to the one in the A3? Either way, I've read countless times that these across all VAG vehicles are suspect. I also heard they might have switched turbo manufacturers recently because of it? Hmmmm
Old 04-05-2015, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's my $0.02 on some of the issues brought up here:

Tuning Audi motors to reasonable levels has historically proven to be very reliable. People are not blowing motors or transmissions. In fact people are hammering the crap out of these cars, and they still last over 100,000 miles. The safety of the tunes is not the issue. The durability of the parts is not the issue.

There is only one real issue to be concerned about, and that is this: if you were to have something go wrong anyway, and now it goes wrong on a tuned car, Audi now has a mechanism to deny your warranty claim. And they will. All this talk about not wanting to upset their customer base is BS. They are a business. If there is a way to avoid a warranty claim, you can bet they will use it.

The ECU game has become a cat-mouse phenomenon. I am still not sure why Audi doesn't offer its own performance tunes with a warranty, maybe even a more limited one. I am sure people will be willing to pay a little extra for this over what they are paying a third party vendor. Both Porsche and Mercedes do this with their "power packs".
Old 04-05-2015, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Vijay

Tuning Audi motors to reasonable levels has historically proven to be very reliable. People are not blowing motors or transmissions. In fact people are hammering the crap out of these cars, and they still last over 100,000 miles. The safety of the tunes is not the issue. The durability of the parts is not the issue.

There is only one real issue to be concerned about, and that is this: if you were to have something go wrong anyway, and now it goes wrong on a tuned car, Audi now has a mechanism to deny your warranty claim. And they will. All this talk about not wanting to upset their customer base is BS. They are a business. If there is a way to avoid a warranty claim, you can bet they will use it.

The ECU game has become a cat-mouse phenomenon. I am still not sure why Audi doesn't offer its own performance tunes with a warranty, maybe even a more limited one. I am sure people will be willing to pay a little extra for this over what they are paying a third party vendor. Both Porsche and Mercedes do this with their "power packs".
technically, they do. They offer performance upgrades as well as trim upgrades, and they've even somewhat separated the two also. The S3 is the factory tuned version of the A3, like the M is the BMW factory tuning division. Lexus is trying it with the F editions.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Vijay

The safety of the tunes is not the issue. The durability of the parts is not the issue.
Vijay, with all due respect (really), not sure how anyone can say that driving a tuned car past factory limits doesn't endanger reliability (with any integrity). This fascinates me that so many would argue this… I see this a lot on forums and I just don't get the logic. I've been building engines since I was 15 years old, more power is always more stress on the engine, brakes, suspension… even the chassis/unibody in rare cases.

Parenthetically AND anecdotally, I've pushed two 1.8T engine and both needed valve and block seals by 75k miles.

Seems like a hijack of the thread, so my apologies, but I just want owners that are new to tuning or Audi/VW that are reading this, to understand that there is a lot to weigh before tuning a car to perform past factory specs.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Syrome
I thought he bought a CPO A3? I also thought the S3 had an upgraded turbo to the one in the A3? Either way, I've read countless times that these across all VAG vehicles are suspect. I also heard they might have switched turbo manufacturers recently because of it? Hmmmm
You are right, it was an A3. But my point was that these turbochargers have such a risk of failure. Hence why be out of warranty on your engine / drivetrain. Best bet is to buy an stock S3 with warranty rather than a A3 with tune and no warranty, or a stock RS3 with warranty rather than a tuned S3 and no warranty.

If the car is out of warranty, then go for your tune. But why buy a car which includes a paid for warranty and then go void your warranty.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Those that want to do it just need to be aware of the risks. It's always been pay to play, it's just Audi is rightfully causing the "pay" option to occur more frequently. Couple that with a known manufacturing flaw with a part of the drivetrain affected by said tune, and you increase your risk greatly.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by smooth 1
Ok...lets just clear up the confusing BS post this is.
Of course Audi isn't giving you any problem with your 2006 A4. This thread is for the NEW 2015 ability to detect flashes, reflashes, and aftermarket tuning. Secondly, Audi didn't pay to replace your engine...your warranty company paid Audi to replace your engine.
And you should probably study Audi drivetrain and DSG components and how Stronic works first then. Probably answer your own question. Maybe send a copy of that post to your insurance company....
I wish there were like buttons for posts because I would bang it about 100 times for your post.

I just don't get the mentality that says you do the equivalent of breaking a contract and it's okay to scam Audi into financially paying for the results of you breaking the contract. It's your car and you should do whatever you want to it, just don't expect someone else to pay when it goes bad. Audi warranty terms make it clear what actions void the entire warranty. Honesty is not negotiable and filing a false warranty claim (which is what it is) is actually criminal.

It's the tone of the thread that says many people think that manipulating and concealing the truth is okay that bugs me. It's not tuning your car and doing mods. I'm all for that if it's what you want to do and accept the risks/consequences.

Last edited by mikele; 04-07-2015 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mikele
I wish there were like buttons for posts because I would bang it about 100 times for your post.

I just don't get the mentality that says you do the equivalent of breaking a contract and it's okay to scam Audi into financially paying for the results of you breaking the contract. It's your car and you should do whatever you want to it, just don't expect someone else to pay when it goes bad. Audi warranty terms make it clear what actions void the entire warranty. Honesty is not negotiable and filing a false warranty claim (which is what it is) is actually criminal.

It's the tone of the thread that says many people think that manipulating and concealing the truth is okay that bugs me. It's not tuning your car and doing mods. I'm all for that if it's what you want to do and accept the risks/consequences.
Bully for you. I had a 5 year old, 115,000km vehicle with no remaining warranty when I did my APR Stage 1. Audi had an (unknown to me) flaw in the camshaft follower for 2005-2007 MY cars which was totally unrelated but was so bad they had made a 10 year warranty extension for. They could have done a recall but I guess they too were gambling that their defective part wouldn't fail, or at least not in such a way as to require engine replacement. The car was at 165,000km and 9 years old when it failed.

My post was questioning the wisdom of some of the upgrades with the expectation that I would be on my own if something broke. In this case the DSG which it still seems to me could be a weaker link than any other part when increasing power/torque beyond the designed thresholds. smooth_1 has already said his post was a little over the top with a gracious apology. I'm actually leaning on the no mods route for the foreseeable future - I need a car to do 25,000km a year for 10 years more than a little more oomph. Maybe if I picked up an older TT or something just play around with.

Quick Reply: Apr tuning released for s3!