Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Apr tuning released for s3!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 05:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

APR should offer an Intake & Stage 1 tune combo at a package discount deal!
Old 04-24-2015, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by boost4u2
Hey gang just had my APR tune installed finally! Since my car was super early delivery I had to wait a couple days for APR to adjust the code for my box as it was 3 serial numbers earlier than the most common box.

For the record the Tune is awesome! The car is silly fast and highly recommend it to everyone on the board! Honestly the car should now smoke my M4 on a roll even.....
Cool. I just bought the white S3 they had on their lot last week and would love to check out your s3 after the apr tune...

Good to hear that the Byers folks are not mod haters. I have had an S4 and S6 in the past, but no mods and took my car to Byers for service. I had a modded / tuned bmw 335 that I bought at Kelly BMW on Morse Rd and they new it was modded but acted quite nonchalant about it. I never had an engine blow up though.

Anyways, if there is an Audi meet up or something like that, i'd love to check out your APR tuned S3.

As for the discussion about warranty and mods, I think most people know you may have your warranty claims denied if your mod caused the failure. Plain and simple. But man after reading this thread it seems some people really take the topic quite personally and get angry when talking about the whole issue. If somebody gets a new engine in their Audi after modding it, and its covered by warranty, I'm happy for them. End of story. For the rest of us who may mod our cars, we should understand the risks.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
Wow... Sounds great.

I know folks who would get this wouldn't care, but I wonder what effect if any would be on MPG.

I never had a APR tuning, but the website says that it can be reversed. So it could be reversed before bringing vehicle to Audi for service to avoid Audi computer detection.
After the APR flash, I've noticed no real change in gas mileage. My car isn't broken in yet, so I'm getting about 18mph around town. It should improve. There is still some turbo lag from a dead start, but now, little while moving. I hope it start lag will improve with time as the heuristic function of the ECU learns. The HP and torque gains are substantial and real fun.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by salvadorik
Yeah. Finally long waited mod is available now. APR says that ECU mod reduces throttle lag. If APR in fact can substantially reduce this annoying hesitation then for this reason alone it is worth getthing their ECU.
I will wait till i am done with 5K service. I am very excited!
I love seeing these posts. When i reported the same lag in the 4.0 T A8, I was told I was nuts. It has been a problem with Audis for several years. I have been able to teach myself to compensate. The same lag is in our '15 Q7.

I agree the ECU tune just to minimize this lag would be worth a few bucks..LOL....
Old 04-26-2015, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by normbi
After the APR flash, I've noticed no real change in gas mileage. My car isn't broken in yet, so I'm getting about 18mph around town. It should improve. There is still some turbo lag from a dead start, but now, little while moving. I hope it start lag will improve with time as the heuristic function of the ECU learns. The HP and torque gains are substantial and real fun.
Thank you so much for answering the mpg question. Best of luck with your tune.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr.Aronis
I love seeing these posts. When i reported the same lag in the 4.0 T A8, I was told I was nuts. It has been a problem with Audis for several years. I have been able to teach myself to compensate. The same lag is in our '15 Q7.

I agree the ECU tune just to minimize this lag would be worth a few bucks..LOL....
That is all well and good but I though that the lag in question is exclusively related to the cars with DSG tranny. Audi's ZF 8 speed automatic transmission (AT) should not have this lag. I had A6 C7 with 3.0 supercharged engine coupled with 8 ZF AT and it virtually had zero lag. I wonder what kind of lag do 4.0T A8 and 15 Q7 have? AFAIK both of these vehicles come equipped with 8 speed ATs. I absolutely do not want to discredit what you said. Perhaps I am misinformed here or you are referring to a turbo lag that is evident on the cars with turbos.

My S3 has the throttle lag mainly due to the dual clutch automated manual transmission. It is not a turbo lag as many other owners erroneously believe it is. It is especially very pronounced when I stop and want to accelerate so I press the gas pedal and the car does not move. It thinks for a second and then I feel the clutch engaging and the car starts taking off. This is kinda annoying especially after coming from a car that had naturally aspirated engine with automatic tranny.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by hbcucat
Cool. I just bought the white S3 they had on their lot last week and would love to check out your s3 after the apr tune...

Good to hear that the Byers folks are not mod haters. I have had an S4 and S6 in the past, but no mods and took my car to Byers for service. I had a modded / tuned bmw 335 that I bought at Kelly BMW on Morse Rd and they new it was modded but acted quite nonchalant about it. I never had an engine blow up though.

Anyways, if there is an Audi meet up or something like that, i'd love to check out your APR tuned S3.

As for the discussion about warranty and mods, I think most people know you may have your warranty claims denied if your mod caused the failure. Plain and simple. But man after reading this thread it seems some people really take the topic quite personally and get angry when talking about the whole issue. If somebody gets a new engine in their Audi after modding it, and its covered by warranty, I'm happy for them. End of story. For the rest of us who may mod our cars, we should understand the risks.
OK, that makes 3 x S3s in the Cbus, Newark, Granville area that I'm aware. That's entirely too many! Seriously thinking of the APR tune as well. First time relationship with Byers on Audis however. Have several Subarus through them however. Good dealership in my view. Agree that people assume the risk if they mod their cars. Never bothered to check to see if there is a local Audi club or chapter of a national club or something. Would love to learn more about my car. My last Audi was a new '85 Audi Coupe GT Quattro.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by hbcucat

Right. You have to be prepared to pay to play. Just think of the expense to go racing. No warranties there. Way above the price of replacing a component that has a small possibility of a failure caused solely by a flash changing the fuel mapping and max turbo boost. These cars are fun, and an APR Flash made my S3 even more fun. I don't expect Audi to warranty components that are stressed by making the car go faster. If you can't cover the risk of a possible failure, don't get aftermarket upgrades that may void your warranty. I stay off max boost for most normal driving. I can tell you this car is significantly faster after the APR flash.
it is really a palpable performance upgrade, and it's a hoot to have this power on tap even if you don't use it constantly.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

With so many positive reviews of the APR Stage 1 tune on this forum and after speaking to area APR rep, I've pretty much decided to join the club as well. Spent considerable time last night reading reviews of APR ECU tunes/flashes for VWs and Audis. You just can't find a bad review and I didn't find any information where individuals broke their cars following an APR tune. Besides the extra HP and torque, most people mention that their cars simply are smoother to operate. Something else I picked up from the APR website that appeals to me is that left foot braking is enabled post tune. The throttle/brake disconnect is disabled as I understand it. I do want to coordinate with my Audi service department and avoid any issues during future servicing of my S3. Boost4u2 uses the same Audi service and has made his upgrade known to the service guys already.

Can I confirm from guys already with the APR tune that when going in for normal interval service with Audi that Audi techs normally DO NOT change anything with the ECU tune during inspection? I understand that APR is supposed to make updates available if Audi updates anything ECU related with the car.

Hoping to get this done next week. Really looking forward to this. I understand the risks and although I love spirited driving from time to time, real world application is that the engine/transmission simply won't be pushed that hard. Power on hand is always a good thing to have. Can't foresee any component failures due to extreme driving on my end. Do like the thought of being able to shock some American muscle cars from time to time however. LOL.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Fire away on the Tune and don't look back! Seriously changed the entire drivability of the car for the better. I now have 7K on my car and about a 1k with the tune. So far so good. On a side note, if my race isn't ready, I may make a couple passes with the little S3 Wednesday night here at Trails. From the seat of the pants, the car feels like a 12.20's car now

Quick Reply: Apr tuning released for s3!