Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

APR vs UNITRONIC

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 02:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APR vs UNITRONIC

I am considering a stage 1 tune 93 octane for 2017 A3. I was looking for opinions of people's experience with tune they preferred or possibly had more experience with. I already exchanged communication with APR doing a low output stage 1 that puts the car at 295hp and 335 torque as opposed to the regular or high output stage 1 with 316hp and 381 torque as that seems a bit much for my liking and comfort while having warranted brand new car. I believe APR has been around longer as a company? UNITRONIC is $50 less. Not sure how much APR goes on sale for when they have 2-3 huge sales per year? Is there one you prefer better or feel is safer long term? Any thoughts, opinions, and or experiences would be great. I won't be tracking and at most would eventually put on intake but right now just a simple stage 1 tune by one of these is the plan. I believe both are flashed at a shop even though you can pay extra for at home flash tuning with UNITRONIC for $150. This part doesn't make w difference for me. Thanks!

Last edited by score0412; 09-05-2016 at 02:09 AM.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm simply looking for a little bit of more power. I'm even looking at mild stage 1. So, I should get UNITRONIC since I can flash back to stock if doing warranty work? Anyone have a tune and not care and still get warranty work done because tunes are safe and reliable if only stage 1? Thanks ahead.

Last edited by score0412; 09-06-2016 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How about the Neuspeed Power Module? You can easily go back to stock by just removing it, and they claim 35+ HP / 70+ ft/lbs.Torque.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by scutchins
How about the Neuspeed Power Module? You can easily go back to stock by just removing it, and they claim 35+ HP / 70+ ft/lbs.Torque.
Thanks for the suggestion but am set more on one of these 2.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Either tune can result in a TD1 flag when taking it in for service. Even if it's flashed back to stock the dealer can tell it has been flashed. The only way to be sure you don't have warranty issues is to not tune the car until after the warranty period.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

I understand. So, does anyone have any stage 1 tunes and on warranted cars and not have anything significant wrong with their car?
Old 09-06-2016, 06:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by the_duke
Either tune can result in a TD1 flag when taking it in for service. Even if it's flashed back to stock the dealer can tell it has been flashed. The only way to be sure you don't have warranty issues is to not tune the car until after the warranty period.
Anyone want to share their real life story of flashing back and getting TD1?
Old 09-06-2016, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by quadrangle
Anyone want to share their real life story of flashing back and getting TD1?
Exactly! Would really appreciate knowing this.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an APR Stage I ECU tune performed on my S3 in March 2015 and about 8 months later had the TCU tune performed by an APR rep as well. I am truly enjoying both tunes and not had a single issue to date. I've done some other mods myself like adding an APR CF intake and the oil catch can. Oh, and a new APR CF turbo inlet pipe. I spoke to my Audi service department prior to beginning any of this. Lots of customers want more power and get ECU tunes. The service techs know this. They don't discourage it and I was promised they would work around things as much as possible when I bring the car in for service. They did not state I would not have possible warranty issues if something broke but that was a chance I took on my own. But they would avoid setting off any TD1 flags unless absolutely necessary. Had my car 2 years now and only getting the regular services performed. Love my car and it's a blast to drive. I'm not familiar with Unitronics products but can vouch for APR at this time. Hope this helps.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
I had an APR Stage I ECU tune performed on my S3 in March 2015 and about 8 months later had the TCU tune performed by an APR rep as well. I am truly enjoying both tunes and not had a single issue to date. I've done some other mods myself like adding an APR CF intake and the oil catch can. Oh, and a new APR CF turbo inlet pipe. I spoke to my Audi service department prior to beginning any of this. Lots of customers want more power and get ECU tunes. The service techs know this. They don't discourage it and I was promised they would work around things as much as possible when I bring the car in for service. They did not state I would not have possible warranty issues if something broke but that was a chance I took on my own. But they would avoid setting off any TD1 flags unless absolutely necessary. Had my car 2 years now and only getting the regular services performed. Love my car and it's a blast to drive. I'm not familiar with Unitronics products but can vouch for APR at this time. Hope this helps.
Yes, this more than helps and it's good news. I'll have to speak to my dealership. Did you speak to your service guy or sales rep when you bought your car regarding tune plan? I just want to make sure the right person is spoken to.

Quick Reply: APR vs UNITRONIC