Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

APR vs UNITRONIC

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 08:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the Unitronics stage 1 installed on my new 2016 A3 this weekend and it feels great. I'll keep yall posted ifbI have any issues.
Sterling
USMC
29 Palms, CA
Old 09-07-2016, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by slrkappa@yahoo.com
I had the Unitronics stage 1 installed on my new 2016 A3 this weekend and it feels great. I'll keep yall posted ifbI have any issues.
Sterling
USMC
29 Palms, CA
I appreciate it and hope this threat I started becomes more engaging with what people are doing with what tune. I'm mostly interested in Stage 1 tunes as opposed to heavy builds but all is welcome to know or understand long term reliability on the tunes. Essentially, I could just go on the VW GTI forums and read on there but was hoping to just read on Audi A3 forums. Glad you're enjoying the tune.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

bump
Old 09-18-2016, 02:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
I had an APR Stage I ECU tune performed on my S3 in March 2015 and about 8 months later had the TCU tune performed by an APR rep as well. I am truly enjoying both tunes and not had a single issue to date. I've done some other mods myself like adding an APR CF intake and the oil catch can. Oh, and a new APR CF turbo inlet pipe. I spoke to my Audi service department prior to beginning any of this. Lots of customers want more power and get ECU tunes. The service techs know this. They don't discourage it and I was promised they would work around things as much as possible when I bring the car in for service. They did not state I would not have possible warranty issues if something broke but that was a chance I took on my own. But they would avoid setting off any TD1 flags unless absolutely necessary. Had my car 2 years now and only getting the regular services performed. Love my car and it's a blast to drive. I'm not familiar with Unitronics products but can vouch for APR at this time. Hope this helps.
Everything he said is SPOT ON!
Old 09-18-2016, 02:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had APR stage 1 for about 6 months with no issues. Loved it so much I'm stage 2 now with the TCU tune. They are meant to go together.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks Tino33! Saw that APR has the downpipe for the S3 now. Seems you are probably one of the first adapters of the downpipe and Stage 2. How much difference are you feeling? Assume the downpipe was the only mechanical work required for the Stage 2. I was thinking I was quite content with the Stage I tune but, dammit, now you have me re-reviewing the Stage 2! LOL. Might be something to look at for a springtime project.......
Old 09-19-2016, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Tino33! Saw that APR has the downpipe for the S3 now. Seems you are probably one of the first adapters of the downpipe and Stage 2. How much difference are you feeling? Assume the downpipe was the only mechanical work required for the Stage 2. I was thinking I was quite content with the Stage I tune but, dammit, now you have me re-reviewing the Stage 2! LOL. Might be something to look at for a springtime project.......
I was the first one for the shop that I stalled it too. It's different than the Golf R and they have to drop the sub-frame to install it.

Stage 2 is amazing. It pulls like a freight train now. It might just be me but the power doesn't seem to jumpy now. The down pipe makes the ar sound throaty as hell.

I would do it if I were you but I am never a good influence when it comes to dumping money into a car.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Tino33; sorry for the delayed response here. Thanks for the input! Just got off the phone with the APR rep for our area. Place called the Toy Barn. Placed an order for the downpipe and they will do the install and flash. Read the install required more work and skills than I possess and wanted to make sure a certified crew was going to do the work. The owner of the Toy Barn happens to own an S3 with a Stage 2 apparently. When he doesn't want to drive his Nissan GTR or Porsche GT3 or Ferrari 455. Yeah, makes my knees week too. LOL.

You've been instrumental in somehow reassuring me that Stage 2 is a solid and safe upgrade without being over the top. I look forward to experiencing the same pull soon. Once they get the downpipe ordered, I'll get an install appointment. Will relay the results once I can type again after they pry my hands from the steering wheel. May not want to let go.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Tino33; sorry for the delayed response here. Thanks for the input! Just got off the phone with the APR rep for our area. Place called the Toy Barn. Placed an order for the downpipe and they will do the install and flash. Read the install required more work and skills than I possess and wanted to make sure a certified crew was going to do the work. The owner of the Toy Barn happens to own an S3 with a Stage 2 apparently. When he doesn't want to drive his Nissan GTR or Porsche GT3 or Ferrari 455. Yeah, makes my knees week too. LOL.

You've been instrumental in somehow reassuring me that Stage 2 is a solid and safe upgrade without being over the top. I look forward to experiencing the same pull soon. Once they get the downpipe ordered, I'll get an install appointment. Will relay the results once I can type again after they pry my hands from the steering wheel. May not want to let go.
You won't be sorry bro.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nice. I am definitely doing stage 2 now.

Quick Reply: APR vs UNITRONIC