Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Audi A3/S3 8V Google Earth map overlay in 3D

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi A3/S3 8V Google Earth map overlay in 3D

Hello there. For all of you who have a full blown Audi connect system I have a question. Does your Google earth map overlay render the picture in "real" 3D (assuming in settings you chose Google earth and 3D mode). In my car Google earth shows the picture of buildings and all that in flat 2D mode (that is even when I chose 3D mode and zoom in max 30 yd). I am talking about San Francisco here. When I open google earth on my desktop all buildings and houses are beautifully rendered in 3D but not the case with Audi connect. Interestingly when i switch to the standard map overlay buildings are in fact rendered with real 3D effect but when I switch to Google earth it all becomes flat again (I zoomed in to max). I ask this because I saw this commercial of Audi connect on youtube and it mentions that with MIB2 and Tegra30 integration Google earth is supposed to be rendered in real 3D when zoomed in. Fast forward to 4min and 50sec and you will see what I am talking about. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is completely flat.....

Nothing like in the video......

And yes, I am in SF too...
Old 05-27-2015, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No music streaming services either
Old 05-27-2015, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by link1305
No music streaming services either
I have streaming services. You need install an app called "MMI connect". And pair your phone app to Audi MMI. It is not same pairing process as pairing a Bluetooth device for example. You need to use myAudi pin for that. Once you installed this app and paired to your car's MMI then you can use the music streaming. There are plenty of streaming channels, too many. I honestly dont need them. The streaming music does not fully unleash B&O potential. I'd rather load my SD card full of songs from quality source and listen to that. It does sound awesome in such a way.

Anyway, back to the original question, do you guys have real 3D Google Earth map overlay? If not, does this commercial misrepresent what Audi is actually offering? Do you know if this is can be easily updated, say via new map update or something?
Old 05-28-2015, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

In certain areas of your map you will see the little yellow man show up. When this happens, you are able to zoom past the normal max of 30yd and you can see the street view. You can then pan around. If you sit in your car and zoom around you should see the yellow man appear in certain spots. It is becoming more available in many areas.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the tip on MMI connect app!
Old 05-28-2015, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lent53
In certain areas of your map you will see the little yellow man show up. When this happens, you are able to zoom past the normal max of 30yd and you can see the street view. You can then pan around. If you sit in your car and zoom around you should see the yellow man appear in certain spots. It is becoming more available in many areas.
The street view feature is no doubt a cool one but this is not my original question. The original question is if Google earth map overlay is rendered in real 3D. The commercial says and shows that it does render in 3D but in practice I have yet to see that. Pleas anyone share what you have. Thanks again.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by salvadorik
I have streaming services. You need install an app called "MMI connect". And pair your phone app to Audi MMI. It is not same pairing process as pairing a Bluetooth device for example. You need to use myAudi pin for that. Once you installed this app and paired to your car's MMI then you can use the music streaming. There are plenty of streaming channels, too many. I honestly dont need them. The streaming music does not fully unleash B&O potential. I'd rather load my SD card full of songs from quality source and listen to that. It does sound awesome in such a way.
I didn't know they were there until you mentioned it so I took a look. Where is the data draw coming from if I stream those stations? Is it eating up my AT&T allotment?

Last edited by mikele; 05-28-2015 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mikele
I didn't know they were there until you mentioned it so I took a look. Where is the data draw coming from if I stream those stations? Is it eating up my AT&T allotment?
This is a good question. I am not sure if the streaming service draws data from your phone or in car built in AT&T sim. Perhaps someone who has a better knowledge in this area can share with us?

Again, back to the original question. Guys please share if you have real 3D picture while Google earth map overlay is chosen.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by salvadorik
This is a good question. I am not sure if the streaming service draws data from your phone or in car built in AT&T sim. Perhaps someone who has a better knowledge in this area can share with us?

Again, back to the original question. Guys please share if you have real 3D picture while Google earth map overlay is chosen.
If you connect through your in car wifi, it's eating up your car's sim..

if you just connect through bluetooth, it's your phone data.

Quick Reply: Audi A3/S3 8V Google Earth map overlay in 3D