Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Audi Connect and AT&T 4G

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 07:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may have been answered, but I didn't see it...

on a new S3 with the free 6 months of AT&T, is there a data cap?
Old 08-28-2015, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth Fries
This may have been answered, but I didn't see it...

on a new S3 with the free 6 months of AT&T, is there a data cap?
No cap.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

DennisMitchell,

Many thanks. Followed your directions and I'm up and running at 4G/LTE with US Mobile. Used "pwg" APN and all functions are good.

John
Old 08-29-2015, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by LavaGrau_A3
DennisMitchell,

Many thanks. Followed your directions and I'm up and running at 4G/LTE with US Mobile. Used "pwg" APN and all functions are good.

John
Glad to hear. I never used "pwg" but it might have been already in my MMI config. Great to have this option from USMobile. We have to keep our fingers crossed that it keeps on working.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Following the advice in this thread, I picked up a US Mobile SIM. Put it in this morning and all works with the "pwg" APN. My problem so far is that I don't seem to be getting LTE despite being in an LTE service area. 90% of the time on my drive to work it was showing 3G, with the occasional flash of 4G (or is that LTE?).

I know signal is very much area specific, but if its T-Mobile's network, I absolutely should be always in 4G. Thoughts? Thanks so much!
Old 10-02-2015, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

"4G" is a US industry advertising fraud. It was "HSDPA+" and only a paniced session of the ITU allowed it to be called 4G after a class action suit for fraud for being readied in the US market.

"4G LTE" is totally different, often just called "LTE" here.

And T-Mobile's "extended" LTE (I don't recall their new name for it) apparently is creating havoc with Sirius XM radios in cars in many urban areas, so T-Mob and Sirius are about to have a loud long argument about how pays to fix that, and how, and T-Mob is currently appealed a motion filed to SHUT DOWN their new service until it can be resolved.

Ain't it fun?

This new T-Mob service is on a new frequency band as well, so it may work on the iphone 6S, but it may not work on most older cellular equipment. You'd have to run your part numbers with Audi and then compare the bands to find out what T-Mob (or anyone else) is using in your area.

As the US market changes to "real" LTE and newer things in the next two years, "CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?!" is going to become very familiar again.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by sdjaime
Following the advice in this thread, I picked up a US Mobile SIM. Put it in this morning and all works with the "pwg" APN. My problem so far is that I don't seem to be getting LTE despite being in an LTE service area. 90% of the time on my drive to work it was showing 3G, with the occasional flash of 4G (or is that LTE?).

I know signal is very much area specific, but if its T-Mobile's network, I absolutely should be always in 4G. Thoughts? Thanks so much!
Firstly, US Mobile which uses the T-Mobile network, does not support the faster 4G LTE at this time. An alternative to US Mobile that does support LTE is TruPhone ($.09 per MB) which can provide either a T-Mobile or AT&T sim. (I'm not sure if their T-Mobile sim supports 4G LTE though - perhaps somreone who has a compatible LTE MMI and is using TruPhone's T-Mobile sim can confirm).
Old 10-02-2015, 02:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well, interestingly enough, when I drove my car during lunch it was connected to LTE the entire time. I guess I'll know more on my drive home today.

The US Mobile website does in fact confirm "4G LTE" coverage throughout the major areas of my state (CA). So there it is!
Old 10-02-2015, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

They finally added LTE. I stand corrected.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Does anyone know if the MMI tech is the same in the Q3 as the A3? I am considering buying a new A3 or Q3 (2015) since there are some good deals now.

Quick Reply: Audi Connect and AT&T 4G