Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Audi Connect and AT&T 4G

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Soliton
Wondering if this it? There may be others but the hassle-free would be my choice, with this price!

Red Pocket 4G Mobile Broadband - 512MB @ 4G speed - GSMT - ALL - onetime
Maybe offer has changed, but it appears you need to be a red pocket mobile subscriber as well?
Old 06-01-2015, 03:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A6forMoi
Maybe offer has changed, but it appears you need to be a red pocket mobile subscriber as well?
I bought a Red Pocket sim by itself and signed up for the $5 per month @ 500mb. Not a current subscriber. Mmi works in full

Happy to help to help if anyone has questions!
Old 06-02-2015, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TorinTPG
I bought a Red Pocket sim by itself and signed up for the $5 per month @ 500mb.
That's correct, you need to buy a SIM from Red Pocket (which gives you a red pocket phone #) before you can buy that service. Read through this thread, it covers most of these questions.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

They have a 1Gig $20 per month deal. I just went with that. Based on my usage that should be enough.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoonie G
They have a 1Gig $20 per month deal. I just went with that. Based on my usage that should be enough.
$20? That is the ATT price for one month. A little less if you pay for 6 months or 30 months.

Big difference between $20/mo. for 1 gig (which you may not need that much data) and $5 a month for .5 gig. Good news you can change your plan with Red Pocket as far as I know.

I am expecting my SIM card any day. Will chime in with my experience soon.

Last edited by DennisMitchell; 06-02-2015 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

The AT&T cost is only $10/mo if you add it to an existing data share plan. The only data limit is the total amount of your plan.

Last edited by 19hole; 06-04-2015 at 01:46 AM.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Getting very conflicting information from the Red Pocket CSR ... Below is a copy of my chat conversation with the rep. I've got another 3 months on my free plan so I've got some time.

Your Question: I have a car with 4G connectivity. Soon the 6 month free data service via AT&T will run out. I hear red pocket is a good alternative. Can I purchase a SIM from Red Pocket for data only. What are my options with Red Pocket?
Please wait, an operator will be with you shortly.
You are now chatting with Jennifer Velaque - General
11:09Jennifer Velaque: Thank you for using Red Pocket Mobile Chat Support. This is Jennifer. How may I help you today?
11:09Michael Fredericks: Your Question: I have a car with 4G connectivity. Soon the 6 month free data service via AT&T will run out. I hear red pocket is a good alternative. Can I purchase a SIM from Red Pocket for data only. What are my options with Red Pocket?
11:10Jennifer Velaque: I'll be more than happy to assist you.
11:10Jennifer Velaque: You want a data plan only right?
11:10Michael Fredericks: correct
11:14Michael Fredericks: ???
11:15Jennifer Velaque: Thank you for being interested with Red Pocket Mobile, Unfortunately as of the moment the GSMT account that has the data only plan has temporarily put all activations on this type of account on hold. We are currently switching other GSMT account to our GSMA account and we do not have the exact time frame when the activation for mobile hotspots resume.
11:16Michael Fredericks: When I look at your website it shows several mobile internet plans
11:17Michael Fredericks: so you are saying at this time I can not purchase a data plan that will replace the service from AT&T?
11:19Jennifer Velaque: Yes we have that for the GSMT account only the other account type we have includes data but it is bundled with Voice and Texting.
11:19Michael Fredericks: So no data only plans at this time?
11:20Jennifer Velaque: Yes and we do apologize for the incinvenience.

Seems to be in direct contrast to what's in the thread.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That makes sense, given the e-mail I just received from Red Pocket. Basically they've sent me a new SIM (at no cost) that uses their "GSMA" network, and I need to switch over my service from the old SIM to the new one.

What is GSMA, you ask? I'm pretty sure it means it will use the AT&T network (vs T-Mobile which is what the current one uses). According to this article from last year, the last letter ("A") corresponds to the name of the carrier whose network they're using. So I would assume in a few days (or weeks?) you'll again be able to sign up for those plans.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Well this is BS. Just received the GSMT 4G SIM card I bought on eBay for 99 cents. Tried to activate and Red Pocket wants me to buy a new SIM card for GSMA.

Read somewhere on website the GSMA only has 3G data speeds.

I just started a month to month ATT 1 GB plan for $20 via the Audi website. I will let this Red Pocket BS sort out. Looks like the data plan is $10/mo for 1 GB.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a Red Pocket GSMT sim card that I have been using in my A3. I was able to renew the $5 plan last night, so this may affect the ability to activate NEW GSMT sim cards, rather than signal the end of the program for those of us who are currently active.

Quick Reply: Audi Connect and AT&T 4G