Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

B&O vs Stock system, 2017 S3

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 02:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is night and day, and mainly it's the Bass that makes the difference. Non-B&O has a tiny subwoofer where as B&O is massive and can improve quality of your most light bass audio tracks.

But if the S3 is a good deal, get it and just get an aftermarket sub.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Aside from the extended bass response, one of the important gains in having the B&O system is also the extended highs more particularly the 'brilliance' end of the range. A non-B&O system (regular Audi or VW sound systems) may only reach around 12kHz to 15kHz then roll off from there. B&O, though I have not taken sound measurements of the system in the S5, will usually reach 18kHz or even 20-kHz before rolling off.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Certainly a marked difference between the two. However I must give props for the standard system not being terrible. But the nuances of the music, the crisp highs and the clean lows and the midrange is lacking in the standard system. I wouldn't say the B & O is an overachiever, but at this price is a solid upgrade (especially when compared to the $5000+ systems in other Audis). If you are a true music lover the B & O is the only way to go. The sound imagine is vastly different between the two systems as well. I have B & O in my TT, but just took a long trip in my buddy's S3 with the standard system. He hasn't ever owned a car with a good audio system and is just over the moon with how good the standard system sounds. It is good, but the entire time listening to my playlist I thought to my self "I'm shocked how much better my B & O system is.....". And this doesn't have anything to do with high volumes or pounding EDM music to notice the difference.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have any experience with the regular sound system, but I can say I have been impressed with the B&O system in my 17 S3. Having had the upgraded Harmon Kardon systems in my previous BMWs I will that the B&O system is even better than those.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This was all very valuable feedback. Thanks everyone who chimed in! I decided I'm going to maintain the B&O option on my 'must-have' list. I'm having a hard time finding everything I want on a single vehicle; the search will continue! I'll post my impressions of the S3 B&O compared to my 2014 S4 B&O impressions (I imagine it should be very similar based on the feedback in this thread).
Old 03-29-2017, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just an update - at first listen I was really disappointed with the sound system. The car is great though! I'm going to reserve much of my judgment until I get some hours on the speakers. Right now just leaving treble, bass, and surround at middle or a tad up, not running an EQ on my phone (I generally listen to music via bluetooth).

Love this car!
Old 03-29-2017, 09:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm pissed i didn't get the B&O it was on my list of must haves but I figured i could just upgrade after the fact. However, I regret not getting it SO SO MUCH! My bad never doing that again.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by willardcw4
Just an update - at first listen I was really disappointed with the sound system. The car is great though! I'm going to reserve much of my judgment until I get some hours on the speakers. Right now just leaving treble, bass, and surround at middle or a tad up, not running an EQ on my phone (I generally listen to music via bluetooth).

Love this car!
Idk how it is in the S3 but in my A4, it did need time to break in. Agreed my listening time was not much (since I didn't drive much). It took around 2 months of my driving (around 500 miles a month; I used the music system all the time) for the B&O in my car to properly break in and it is lovely now. I didn't like it at all in the beginning.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

Sound system break in....never heard that one before.

The B&O in both our cars (A3 and S7) have sounded great since day one and there has been no difference in sound over the time we have had them.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by 19hole
Sound system break in....never heard that one before.

The B&O in both our cars (A3 and S7) have sounded great since day one and there has been no difference in sound over the time we have had them.
While this may be your perceived opinion of the sound, it unequivocally has indeed changed some as the speakers break in. It is unavoidable and happens to all high-end speaker designs that use a range of materials not found in "standard" audio systems with mostly-paper designs. I can attest that my TT's B & O has improved in is sound after months of ownership. While not industry-leading it's still a big step up in quality over the base system and reasonable priced in relationship to what you are getting. That said I would have gladly paid more for an even better system in my TT (with an actually sub).

Quick Reply: B&O vs Stock system, 2017 S3