Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Brake Dust is out of control!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
SimpsonTide985, my commute is pretty short as well but the brake dust was a real pain. The pads are super easy to change and once done, don't have to worry about it anymore. They will last 50K miles + easily for easy commuting. Trust me, changing the pads will save considerable aggravation down the road. No pun intended. Will extend the life of your nice wheels as well. Brake dust is very corrosive and definitely should be removed as often as possible. Was easier for me to remove the source of the excess dust. Enjoy your new car!!
"Super easy to change" is completely relative. I know for sure I couldn't do it myself because I have zero experience.

How much are the pads? Would they interfere at all with my red brake calipers that I love?
Old 09-21-2016, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Understand if you have no experience that it may seem intimidating. Pretty quick and easy for those who have changed pads before. One of the easier maintenance jobs on a car actually. But it's best for a service tech to do in your case. Pads are less that $120 total for all 4 corners. Tire Rack has them as well as other online outlets. Posi Quiet Ceramic Pads. Will not change the look of your red calipers in any way shape or form. Will actually help because they won't be covered with as much dust! LOL
Old 09-21-2016, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
Understand if you have no experience that it may seem intimidating. Pretty quick and easy for those who have changed pads before. One of the easier maintenance jobs on a car actually. But it's best for a service tech to do in your case. Pads are less that $120 total for all 4 corners. Tire Rack has them as well as other online outlets. Posi Quiet Ceramic Pads. Will not change the look of your red calipers in any way shape or form. Will actually help because they won't be covered with as much dust! LOL
These are the ones I need, right?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/centric-pos...94y2016g1911j1
Old 09-23-2016, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Those look like the pads indeed. But they are way cheaper than what I found them for. Think I paid about $55 for the front set and like $45 for the rears. That was through Tire Rack. Brake pads, unless performance oriented type, are not expensive in general. Perhaps prices have just come down considerably. But that is the brand and model I purchased. Trust me, it's worth the switch even when you pay someone to do the work. Perhaps you can watch and you'll see how relatively easy it is to change pads. You can find videos on YouTube as well.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Maybe the shipping rate is gonna be outrageous! lol
Old 09-23-2016, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by S3Tom
Hey All, 2015 S3 with 800 miles (first Audi) Is it just me or do the factory pads make massive amounts of dust? I'm pretty good on brakes so I don't think its me or my driving style. In less than a week after a wash my front wheels are BROWN. I only drive 10 miles a day on average so its not like a week is really that much actual driving time.

Is this common with Audi's? Am I just over reacting? Regardless its bugging me enough that I've thought about changing out the pads to something "low dust".

End of rant.
This is to ironic, I have posted multiple posts about this and dealing with it as we speak. I have a Q5 and after exactly a week, my front wheels especially are covered in black brake dust. I spoke with Audi, it is normal.. it is because of the semi-metallic brake pads. On the newer Audis they are using Ceramic, which causes little to no brake dust, however, stopping power and sensitivity is decreased dramatically. I need to replace my front rotors/pads and am definitely going to be switching to ceramic pads(rotors dont matter). This is to funny though, it is a constant struggle to keep mine looking clean like the rest of the car lol
Old 09-23-2016, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I went to Whitney site & plugged in my 2015 A3 Premium Plus. The reply was that they did not have that or similar pads for my car.